Derby 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2019

This topic contains 189 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I’m not quite sure how you were right about TDH at this point in proceedings
    Is it possible that they could both be outstanding horses Hein.?

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

He sends SOME of his poorer horse over to England to test out the level of the opposition, but this is of course also because there isn’t enough trials in Ireland. Lingfield especially, he hasn’t sent his best chance there.

Look at the list of the Derrinstown winners, only three of the greatest Derby winners of recent times (two AOB) –

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_races_for_the_Epsom_Derby

I’m far from saying Japan is a certainty, he’s far from it, but i wouldn’t read all that much into him going Derrinstown with two others.

Hein – You can’t watch that Calyx win in the Pavilion and still maintain he would’ve won the Guineas? He’s far too fast for it, they chose the right path for him 100%.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Haha Hein, it’d be boring if we agreed on everything. Coolmore are a breeding empire, if anyone is going to have a chance of replacing Galileo, it is them. Camelot looks very promising, as does Australia! That’s all i’ve said. Nathan makes a good point with the mares Coolmore send to Galileo, Camelot + Australia would possibly be even better if he wasn’t around! Since 2009, AOB has had 4 Derby wins, 2 Galileo, and 2 other sires, so he isn’t doing too bad from other sires either!

..and of course Calyx would have bombed this lame 2000 G lineup, but his trainer was his worst enemy :wacko:
    At least I was right at one thing, as I wrote several months ago that Calyx is the outstanding class horse, not Too Damn Hot :good:

Hein, how can you expect me to agree with you when you come out with such extreme statements like this?

Ten Sovereigns has shown why John Gosden was probably right in his decision with Calyx.
    Again, as Nathan says nothings proven you right yet!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

You three are probably right, and Jack gave a good bottom line that my statement was too extreme :bye:
    My thinking is that Calyx didn’t win the Pavillion for being a sprinter, but for being such a supreme class horse and that this class would have given him a good chance in the 2000, but I probably see this exclusively :unsure:
    Yes Nathan, we can agree on that somehow, but at least TDH is yet to show his class at 3y, and I wish you that it will happen :good: I see Calyx much better, but time will tell.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 546

The last one 17 years ago though Kev! AOB doesn’t keep his best derby horses at home anymore.

It was not a good sign they were looking to run all 3 fancied horses at home in the same race, so much so that they’ve actually changed their minds!! It now looks like AVD is going to Lingfield and Japan to the Dante!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

There must be something wrong with Japan if they keep pushing his re appearance back

The dante would be a cracker if Japan, line of duty and too darn hot all turn up

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2029

Looking forward to seeing AVD tomorrow.

Any update on Quorto yet?

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

Couple of days ago Jack –

As for stablemate Quorto, a return to action appears to be no closer at the moment with Appleby ruling the unbeaten Group 1 winner out of running at Royal Ascot next month.

He said: “He is doing well, but there are no targets. His injury has settled down and he is doing well.

“He is not going to Ascot and that is out of the picture. If I told you a date when he was going to be back I would only be making it up.”

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

AOB 1/2 to win the Derby now!! :wacko: :wacko:

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 585

The bookies must have some info on too darn hot as surely if he wins well in the Dante then he will be favourite. The problem everybody has is that aidens trial winners were on soft going and the Derby may be on good or better ground. We know both sir dragonet and Antony van dyck will be running on in the Derby. Antony van dyck was my fancy last year and I think he will be right there at the finished. He stayed really well at lingfield and was always travelling well. Looks like the ideal Derby type.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Too Darn Hot positive in the market for the Dante
    looks like its game on for him

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 585

Too darn hot 6/4 which for last year’s top juvenile is a strange price. Surely if all is great then he should be 6/4 on. With doubts over Japan I am see the first two getting beaten. The good to firm going should make it a bit unpredictable. On form tdh should skoosh it but the fact that Aiden is 2/1 on with some bookies to win the Derby says there aren’t confident of tdh chances. Time will tell. It could be Aiden is 2,3,4,5 as he was behind sea the stars. By Thursday evening we should be a lot clearer.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Agree Mickeyjp
    TDH was suppose to go greenham/guineas so his season has been a no show so far and its a big jump in distance for his first outing compared to that of a greenham. The bookies are not giving too much away I don’t think and the odds will change one way or another after Thursday

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

If this race was over a mile TDH would be 4/7 or shorter. If this race was over 7furlongs he’d be 1/3, but it’s not and 6/4 is priced with the obvious question marks there for all of us to see. He hasn’t exactly screamed out to me as a 1m2 horse, especially on seasonal reappearance. Add in the fact he had a slight setback, i don’t think 6/4 is that strange a price.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

My only worry with too darn hot staying the 1m2 will be if he settles, he pulled quite hard for a couple of furlongs in the Dewhurst

But then again he did look outpaced 2 furlongs out before powering away from them , which would suggest he will have no problem staying

Iv backed Japan for the derby so hoping for a good run if he turns up on thursday

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.