The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

At least you got one to save you Ginger, if Aquarium doesn’t win the 5.15 or Watchable the 5.50
    I’m up a certain creek without a paddle :unsure:

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Am obviously glad Anthony Van Dyk won, but experience told today. Don’t expect him to be the best of these. In this order – Japan, Sir Dragonet and Madhmoon will probably be rated higher by season’s end.

value is everything
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

Rewatched the race and Anthony van dyck did so well to win

3 furlongs out he got stuck in behind telecaster, line of duty and circus maximus who were going backwards and gave up several lengths to broome, madhmoon, Japan and sir dragonet

Cracking ride from seamie given the bad luck he suffered at that crucial point

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

Finally found a paddle with Watchable :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Glad you won the Getting Out Stakes, BigG. :yes:

value is everything
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

It’s the best one to win Ginge :good:

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 640

Hindsights a wonderful thing but it was clear Anthony van dyck was a 12 f horse. Everything about him screamed stayer and he won cosily in the end. Japan was a huge eye catcher and may well be the top horse in the race. Sir dragonet I think more didn’t handle the track rather than the ground but on a softer surface will be hard to beat. Broome had far from a clear run and it will be interesting to see if he goes to the curragh or royal ascot. Madmooh ran a great race but I doubt he’s the best in the field. An amazing achievement by Aiden and with Irish trained horses covering the first seven and willie mullins and Gordon Elliot in NH then it’s clear where the British power base lies. Antony van dyck looks an extremely tough horse and I wouldn be surprised if he gets better with age. I hope he comes back next season but that must be in danger with coolmore liking of whipping off of prospective stallions to stud.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

I was stupid enough to put some of winnings on avd on virgial can dijk to be motm

Gutted it came in lol but had £8 on vvd

Was a 60/1 double

Said to my mates as a joke during the week itd come in

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 972

Need to watch it all again but got a feeling right now that AVD is a 10F horse as optimal no? Maybe I was panicking but that last half a furlong felt like they were all walking home!

He’s certainly bred with speed on the dam side, I wouldn’t call him an out and out stayer necessarily? I also wouldn’t say he won cosily but then again maybe that was me panicking! There was a point i thought he’d hit the front too early

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 581

Great to see the much derided Lingfield trials throwing up both the Epsom classic winners

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

The steady pace was against Telecaster and I expect they’ll want another crack at one of the mid summer Group 1s. Might even go for the Eclipse ?

Broome changed legs several times in the latter stages and I thought Chapman’s comments about the Leger were misplaced; I think he’ll be better kept to 12f on a flat track, obviously when not stuck as wide as yesterday – showed a decent turn of foot to pass most of the field.

TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1226

Looks like Telecaster will be having a break Mark TT https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/news/return-to-york-on-telecasters-radar-262019

Agree about the Lingfield trials Pilgarlic. Sick of the commentators droning on about how long it is since they threw up a classic winner.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1843

I didn’t go for Telecaster for the reason of the short gap.

The run of Japan means he’s not one to give up on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Telecaster is definitely not one to give up on, Mike. But not because of Japan. Latter improved enormously from Dante to Derby and therefore using form of Japan is of no use to gauge Telecaster’s performance. Telecaster did not show his form at Epsom because he got overly warm beforehand and didn’t settle in the race. Having nothing left for the finish. There is however, a question mark about whether he was flattered slightly by the York run – running the race at a more advantagous pace than all bar the 40/1 pacemaker Turgenev – who did not drop away. The pair racing clear for a long way. Telecaster didn’t give his running at Epsom, but tbh think I over-estimated his chance.

Derby was certainly not a “steady pace” Mark. Some interesting stuff here by our old TRF pal Pru’.

https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/sectional-spotlight/02-June-2019

Anthony Van Dyck going not far off perfect pace all the way according to Simon Rowlands. :mail:

value is everything
    MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

I’d say that was steady, as opposed to slow or quick.

Telecaster was keen.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.