Derby 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2019

This topic contains 189 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 190 total)
  • Author

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5478

JAPAN 25/1

Won Beresford stakes while that race yesterday not the strongest race as in past still think this colt is starting to improve has fine breeding as well.

Can’t have Too Darn Hot main reason is he a Dubawi and look at sire record there at Epsom it is murder for 3yo horses think Laugh Aloud last 3yo dubawi winner.Though i think Coral Eclipse be ideal race for him.Not get me wrong i do think he a really good horse but not for Epsom

Any unraced horses as well

Kris
    Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 464

I bet Japan last month Darren, I took 40-1 each way after his run at Listowel. I had a bit of a Reverse after betting Sydney Opera House as well, but I am a lot happier with the Japan bet.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5478

Well done Kris with that 40/1 top price it is

NORWAY bolt up today this horse i put up for derby in 2yo summary thread i get feeling way he won could be more a leger type next season

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3156

Coolmore just bought Japan’s bro for 3.4 million guineas. Must think Japan is decent :yes:

Kris
    Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 464

Thank you Darren, I am happy with 40-1.

I seen the posts for Norway, he does look very good.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Dubawi will have another live bullet here Daz as
    I backed Quorto for this at 25’s, Appleby won race with Masar and this will surely be the plan for Quorto.
    Appleby seems to know the Dubawi’s well when talking about them and will give him a good preparation for the race

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26321

I’ve also got 25/1 Quorto, 25/1 Too Darn Hot and 14/1 Anthony Van Dyk. But tbh of the three I’ll probably be laying some (possibly most) of Quorto back. Thought he was a Derby horse at Newmarket, but in the National Stakes last time out (which was admittedly very good form) imo Quorto looked more a miler and AVD the middle-distance horse.

value is everything

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5478

Nath you seen record of Dubawi at Epsom it murder it is I think Laugh out Loud last 3yo winner that something I be wary of

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I think this stat is there to be broken
    Appleby had Wild Illusion who would of gone mighty close in the Oaks had the going been on the better side.
    I think I’m inclined to be more worried about gingers fear of the horse although the winter can change alot in terms of progression

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1924

I think both have become to look more like milers. TDH was keen enough in the Dewhurst.

Both have pedigrees for the Derby though, so who knows?

Simon Rowlands article was fantastic on TDHs stride length and cadence was very interesting and worth a read. Early days but a good theory i will follow.
    http://www.attheraces.com/blogs/sectional-spotlight

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26321

Agree with you, Jack.
    I’ve laid a bit back of my TDH bet and probably do the same with Quorto at some point during the Autumn/Winter.

value is everything

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 301

Very interesting analysis.

The only odd thing with regards to TDH is the fact that he debuted over the trip of 1m. I agree with the comment that he seems to be becoming more of a Guineas horse than a Derby horse but typically a hose which debuts over 1m as a two year old one can expect to progress to middle distance races as a three year old. Moreover, that was on good-to-soft ground and in August ie it’s not like the debit over 1m was snuck in at the end of the season.

I hope he proves capable of both and it will be interesting to see if the thrust of the argument put forward by the data holds.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1664

Had my first proper look at this race this afternoon since last year. One who must have passed me by at the back-end of last season is Rakan. By Sea The Stars and out of Tarfasha, he is gorgeously bred and trained by the master who trained ‘mum’, Dermot Weld.

Rakan was very taking in his second start and Mr Weld spoke very highly of him post-race, saying he’d reappear in the Derrinstown this spring. I had a good bet at 40/1 this afternoon and look forward to seeing him return immensely.

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1664

I’d also like to point out that writing that post so soon after Cheltenham has made me die a little inside and made me feel like I need a good wash.

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

Bobby Bluebell
    Bobby Bluebell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Hi Boz, Rakan is very beautifully bred. He hit the line very hard last time.

However, he did get quite a few cracks of the whip last time, it certainly wasn’t a hands and heels ride.

Does the fact he was given so many cracks of the whip put you off in anyway?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.