2018 RSA Chase

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2018 2018 RSA Chase

This topic contains 351 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by BigG BigG 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 352 total)
  • Author
    OLAS
    OLAS
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

^^^ Knew I’d forgotten another one of his – West Approach, arguably his best chance of the lot in this race.

thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5533

I posted about The Storyteller in the DLAP section on here before his beginners chase win. Wherever goes, I’d like to be with him. Chasing debut was very impressive, particularly his jumping.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

I’ll second that, he gained lengths at his fences. The winning margin flattered to deceive also, he was really held together between jumps. I imagine the preference would be for the JLT no? Especially with Death Duty ruled out?

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2449

Yes, i like him a lot also. Was a real blow for me last year missing his intended race. Currently 14’s to win any race at the moment. Hmmmm :unsure:

What races do you possibly see on the agenda THM ?

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 158

Does it not put you off The Storyteller when Gordon Elliott described him in his stable tour as ‘a very exciting horse for handicap hurdles’? Granted he now appears to have been switched to Chasing but it’s hardly a ringing endorsement for a grade 1 at the festival.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2372

He’s by Shantou out of a Bob Back mare and those types are, almost without exception, progressive as novice hurdlers but inconsistent over fences.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Does it not put you off The Storyteller when Gordon Elliott described him in his stable tour as ‘a very exciting horse for handicap hurdles’? Granted he now appears to have been switched to Chasing but it’s hardly a ringing endorsement for a grade 1 at the festival.

That quote has to be applied in context, at the time I believe The Storyteller was handicapped exceptionally well relative to his ability. I think Gordon was of the belief he could have scooped up one of the big handicap pots with ease, before progressing to Graded races.

Perhaps the improvement he’s shown for a fence has surprised even them, and their ambitions have changed accordingly?

thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5533

Yes, i like him a lot also. Was a real blow for me last year missing his intended race. Currently 14’s to win any race at the moment. Hmmmm :unsure:

What races do you possibly see on the agenda THM ?

I think anything from 2m 4f to 3m should be fine for him, but the JLT would look the easier race for him at the moment to me. In so far s where he goes next, I’m not sure. The Moriarty at Leopardstown could be an option but I’m guessing Elliott will try find something easier for him before pitching him into Grade 1 company.

I wouldn’t be worried by Elliott’s comment regarding him being an exciting horse for handicap hurdles. The way he jumps he’d take lengths out of Willoughby Court if he jumps anything like he did last time. Ability wise he still has it to prove but he’s one of the more interesting outsiders. I’ve yet to back him as am on Al Boum Photo at 25/1 (posted on JLT thread over Christmas) but may add him at a later stage. Think he may be underestimated where he goes, whether that be in Ireland or the UK.

thehorsesmouth
    thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5533

The Storyteller runs in the Grade 3 novice chase at Punchestown tomorrow, looks an excellent Grade 3 with outsider of the field Arbre De Vie rated a 144 rated horse.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2372

Good win for Fountains Windfall. Looked a little cautious at a few but that’s to be expected after two falls. However, the clear round should have done him wonders.

Not the biggest but has an engine.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4653

Any views on INVITATION ONLY my rsa bet but feeling now could go JLT i hope not be gutted in same boat with GETABIRD

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 158

Good win for Fountains Windfall. Looked a little cautious at a few but that’s to be expected after two falls. However, the clear round should have done him wonders.

Not the biggest but has an engine.

I agree MarkTT – I liked the performance so much so I put a few hard earned pounds down on Fountains Windfall for this race. I don’t think the RSA is going to be a particularly strong race this year and he seems to be as good as any other horse perhaps with the exception of Monalee but I think he’ll be heading to the JLT.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1739

Delighted with old Fountains Windfall today – proved that he is essentially a good jumper and showed a bit more intelligence when not quite on a stride too. Maybe his previous spills will be blessings in disguise.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 487

Any views on INVITATION ONLY my rsa bet but feeling now could go JLT i hope not be gutted in same boat with GETABIRD

You take a chance when you back a Mullins horse ante-post.Looks like you have taken 2 chances. Best of luck with them. I reckon Invitation Only to the JLT and Getabird to the Ballymore but I could be way off.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 487

AN impressive win by Presenting Percy in a 3 mile Grade 2 Hurdle Race on heavy ground in Gowran.

The only thing with Percy is the run where he finished 12L behind Jury Duty and Shatttered Love. It’s a pity that Monalee fell and brought Rathvinden down over Xmas as that would have told us a lot about the credentials of Shattered Love and Jury Duty.

Hopefully they all stand up next weekend in Leopardstown and we get a better idea

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 352 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.