The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he pulls SMB and targets him to the French Guineas actually. It’s fast ground at the moment.

Wembley is definitely being targeted to the Guineas, he’s not even raced past 7F yet. He’s consistently said Wembley’s a miler, whether he’s quick enough we’ll see but there’s a lot of encouragement

Participant
    • Total Posts 16441

I think Buick has made the wrong decision and One Ruler is the better horse of the two.
    Imagine how One Ruler’s price would rocket if Buick chose to desert Master Of The Seas.
    This is a Godolphin tactic in my humble opinion. 😉 and anyway the Craven winner rarely wins the Guineas.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

No they don’t but this is a lot more open than your standard Guineas. It’s a very intriguing race that’s for sure, can’t wait for it

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

I just hope they all race in the centre so we dont get a stand rail draw bias that ruins the race :scratch:

That National Stakes race is looking like a key piece of form to me. Thunder Moon having to wait for a run then beating Wembley, St Marks Basillica and Master Of The Seas on his second start.

An AOB horse got caught by a swift turn of foot at the death (Kameko) last season. Could happen again with the Thunder who will get his ground, which he didnt get in the Dewhurst yet still wasn’t beaten far.

I’ve ew backed Wembley at 12s and Thunder Moon at 14s and happy enough with that position. If i was a pundit in a TV studio and was asked today who imo is going to win the 2000 Guineas i would say Thunder Moon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16441

It could prove very tactical. The one thing the Godolphin horses both have is experience of the course.
    Like you Frenchy I’m going to enjoy this one.
    Hope you’re right about racing down the centre Mike and good luck with Thunder Moon I have him EW in this too. :good:
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

Ta. Hopefully we will both be smiling come Saturday afternoon.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Thunder Moon looks to have the best juvenile form certainly. He looked electric in the National and ran pretty well in the Dewhurst on ground he would not have liked. The big issue is how well will he train on. I believe from comments I read, he was a fairly small juvenile so might not have much scope generally but the big red flag is the Zoffany thing.

To date, Zoffany has produced two juvenile group 1 winners, four group 2 winners, a group 3 and listed winner. Comparatively, there is only a listed winner on British soil, amongst those horses at 3.

If we look at 7 of the 10 most significant Zoffany horses on ratings and they did not even win a race at 3.

The only thing maybe in Thunder Moon’s favour is that he is Zoffany’s highest-rated juvenile ever, but he’s unbackable for me based on all those trends.

If Wembley gets done with a turn of foot, it will be by Master of the Seas for me.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Depends how many horses there are I guess, re running down the centre. It’s fast ground though hopefully, which makes it more likely to be a fairer surface. The bias really comes in at Newmarket when it’s a bit on the easy side.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

Frenchy: I believe from comments I read, he was a fairly small juvenile so might not have much scope generally.

Thunder Moon might be another Phoenix Of Spain. Catch him first time in a classic 😉

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

He looked like a likely non stayer to me Mike

I know they blamed the ground in the dewhurst but he was going really well until the last 100 yards and didnt shape like he wanted a mile

I have him down as a potential rival to campanelle and supremacy in the commonwealth Cup

As it stands if I hadn’t had a bet I’d back chindit

If you watch the dewhurst back he was still travelling well at the 2 pole but got stuck behind a wall of horses

He was actually last off the bridle and was given a very easy time once his winning chance had gone

Hes 16.5 on betfair I think that’s too big

I may even add him as a selection if one of Wembley or smb dont run

Participant
    • Total Posts 891

Wembley a sea of blue, probably Hugh Taylor putting him up.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

It looks as though battleground is definitely not running judging by his exchange price

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

FF91, I had a look at his form so far. His first visit to a racecourse wasn’t until August 2020 and it was at 7 furlongs. I am optimistic that one more furlong wont be a problem.

Trainer comments on the trip:
    “His pedigree suggests he’ll stay further, I’m quite confident about the mile but after that I’m not sure how much further he’d go as he’s quite a pacey horse.”

Trainer comments on the Dewhurst:
    “We travelled very well through the Dewhurst and looked the winner, but on the day there was a severe bias to the rail, we were drawn on the other side and also the ground was on the slow side so I thought it was a fantastic run.”

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

Frenchy15: The bias really comes in at Newmarket when it’s a bit on the easy side.

It was decent enough ground when Magna Grecia took advantage I believe. A centre track race will be helpful so we got the best chance to see who is the best on the day for real.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

That’s an odd way to look at Thunder Moon though FF surely? A horse that shows electric speed on a fast surface, then looks tired on heavy ground in the last furlong next time out? No surprise there is it?

He’s got Sadlers Wells on the Dam side, he ought to have no issue with a mile. It won’t be the distance that beats him

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

True Mike, although it was Good, Saturday should be GF hopefully unless Newmarket open the heavens on it which is not unlikely.

Last Year’s race was a good enough race though and they came up the stands side. I wouldn’t want to get drawn out on the top wing, but otherwise I would be pretty hopeful of a true race

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Mike, Thunder Moon did go to a Barrier Trial and well well in June though, so it’s not like he wasn’t an early enough type.

Why oh why did i think the Guineas was still another weekend away, all this Punchestown talk has made me lose track!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.