The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

The Wembley move yesterday was because Hugh Taylor tipped him and then Tony Calvin wrote that he’s heard rumours as have others that AOB is very sweet on Wembley at the moment.

Your point about the first string TTC is spot on. Makes me laugh when people say it doesn’t matter who RM rides. It does matter. It makes a huge difference as you’ve pointed out.

Yes of course his second and third strings can win but it’s much more likely they don’t especially in the 2000 Guineas.

I think SMB will go to the French Guineas as the ground is too quick for him, possibly with Battleground waiting for the SJP as AOB mentioned in February. Being a War Front means he’ll take time to come to himself at 3.

Military Style will set a fast pace to try and set it up with RM riding Wembley and Frankie riding Van Gogh, that’s my guess

Participant
    • Total Posts 891

Draw will be interesting. I’d like to see Wembley ridden more prominently on Saturday and I am sure those will be the instructions. It can be impossible clawing back a horse that gets into a good rhythm rolling into that dip. I just hope Wembley isn’t left with too much to do because his market prominence and form case it based on two hard luck stories.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

I think the extra mile will irradicate that. I agree with you though, I am expecting them to ride him slightly more in the pack. I think this was the plan last time in the Dewhurst, but he just got caught out wide from a bad draw and had no choice as the horse inside him was keeping him out. It marks up his run even more on ground he wouldn’t have enjoyed either.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 946

Regarding Ryan Moore I think the issue isn’t so much that him riding is a positive or negative undoubtedly a positive for me he’s a top jockey, its more that the market can massively overreacts to whichever horse he is on and pushes out the yards other runners to bigger prices than they ought to be, I had a very big bet by my standards on Magna Grecia when he won as he was a ridiculous price for a G1 winning 2yo over the trip with his pedigree against a very dubious stayer in Ten Sovereigns. I wasn’t remotely bothered Moore wasn’t riding, he has to ride one of them but they don’t exactly have bad horses and if you are getting Dettori instead of Moore that’s hardly a negative, Heffernan and Wayne Lordan are also good jockeys.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Moore chose wrong last year too

His pick was well down the field and dettori finished a close second on wichita

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Yeah that’s the point TTM exactly, can get pretty good odds on their second strings. I never begrudge people taking AOB second strings for sure, it’s a good strategy. But people make comments like it doesn’t matter who the Ballydoyle number 1 is. Well statistically it does, a lot, especially in the Guineas.

I think he was told To ride TS in 2019 and last year both horses weren’t good enough to win as neither were good enough stayers anyway despite Wichita getting close. He was always going to get beaten by a staying miler.

This year I’d be very surprised if RM is wrong as both VG and Wembley have strong chances on paper and trends

Participant
    • Total Posts 1329

Yes but you need to incorporate the odds for those stats to be worth anything as you could be losing a fortune backing the Moore rides without that context.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5986

Looks like Battleground runs and SMMB is a goner. Interesting race

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7328

Decs…

Albadri Hollie Doyle
    Battleground TBC
    Chindit Pat Dobbs
    Devilwala Rossa Ryan
    Legion Of Honour David Egan
    Lucky Vega Shane Foley
    Master Of The Seas William Buick
    Mutasaabeq Jim Crowley
    Mystery Smiles Silvestre de Sousa
    Naval Crown Adam Kirby
    One Ruler James Doyle
    Poetic Flare Kevin Manning
    Thunder Moon TBC
    Van Gogh TBC
    Wembley TBC

Participant
    • Total Posts 891
    Participant
    • Total Posts 891

Ryan – Wembley
    Frankie – Battleground
    Seamie – Van Gogh

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1605

Didn’t think Van Gogh would be running as he obviously looks like he will stay much further. Battleground is running due to the going and Wembley will enjoy it too. I’d fancy battleground but as Frankie has got the ride sounds like he’s the least fancied. The typical coolmore 2000 Guineas puzzle to solve. If Wembley has trained on then he wins imho. Always feel both the guineas can be pot luck as to backing the winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 891

Van Gogh has clearly developed very nicely over the winter. The reports from AOB and RM have been incredibly positive, as has the market support for both this and the Derby. Ryan picking Wembley makes me happy because he’s my main fancy and it backs up AOB reportedly thinking he’s their best chance, but Ryan has got it wrong before though so it’s a box ticked without getting carried away.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 946

Interesting to see Timeform’s star ratings for the race denoting what they think has the best chance (you can see them for free on the ATR racecards) gives 8 of the 15 runners 4* or more out of 5 for their chance and that is pretty much my assessment of the race as well, lacks a superstar but plenty of potential good ones. I don’t necessarily share their assessment of Thunder Moon having the best chance but that is a personal opinion on his chances of actually staying rather than on the basis of his form which is very similar to Wembley.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1329

As a big fan of Van Gogh for the Derby i’m very interested to see how he gets on here. Couldn’t fancy him for this but a nice staying on 3rd or 4th would suit me nicely. As long as he isn’t the pacemaker from a nice draw in 9.

Be very interesting to see if Devilwala stays over his side from stall 1 or not. Other pace looks to be Naval Crown in 11 and Mustaabeq in 12 so you’d expect a middle to stands side main group.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1357

I think that this is a really tough one, but it does look like a good renewal. I hope in time that’s the case.

Thunder Moon 11-2, and One Ruler 17-2 are my bets.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7287

Not a race in which I’ve had a huge amount of success in recent times but I’ll add my tuppence worth!

Based on times of recent runs my two against the field are:

Mutasaabeq 6/1 – Who knows what will happen when pressure is applied, but he was mightily impressive here on seasonal debut in a very decent time.
    Van Gogh 10/1 – Progressive in the latter half of last season after a slow start in a ‘strange’ year and put up strong performances at season back-end. May need further but happy to go with AOB’s judgement in running him here.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.