Sussex Stakes 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Sussex Stakes 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5595

KING OF COMEDY 8/1

Missed 16/1 with hills was before st james palace stakes.But 8s with them is fair could say best horse at Ascot in terms of one to take out of race winner likely go Eclipse and think good enough to win

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16185

I’m seriously considering Sir Dancealot at 33’s.

Strange horse, who I struggle to figure out. Certainly as many good runs as bad, and there have been a few bad ones.

Was in great form last summer, just failing to make the frame in The July Cup, a very respectable effort, which was sandwiched between wins in The Criterion, The Hungerford, and back here in The Lennox. This asks more, but that was a good summer for him, and he shaped well enough for me in The Lockinge.

I’m not far off talking myself into it.

Sir Dancealot 33’s

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

Maybe it would be wiser to take a break after Ascot :-) , but I’m very interested in this race and hope others are too?! Particularly I like King Of Comedy; some call him quirky, but I would rather say he has his own mind :good:
    The questions in my mind are: Would he run here? I hope so, does anybody know more?
    Would Goodwood suit him? I would think so, as this track is easy to cope with and he seems to be independent from ground issues, right?
    Would KOC be rough and ready to win this? I think so, as he develops and learns from every race, and with a better ride he would already have won the St James imo.
    What are your thoughts?
    Even if you fancy other horses :whistle: , please fire away :bye:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8770

King Of Comedy went into my notebook too Hein and Darren..very impressive and reminds me a bit of Expert Eye last year and the way he progressed to become a top class miler. :good:

Wouldn’t be surprised if John Gosden has the Breeders Cup Mile in mind for him, he’s a seriously good late developing horse and he has a great chance to win this :good: ..Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

Oh, I didn’t know the thread to this race had already been started, when I wrote my earlier post I thought I started it :-)
    Fine that Darren was already busy and hope for more contributions :mail:

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2021

Given the older milers are a poor bunch i would be very interested in King Of Comedy as well. I suppose the draw could prove an issue if he was drawn wide, they would probably drop him in which isn’t ideal at Goodwood over a mile normally. He has raced much more prominent than at Ascot so he is adaptable in that regard.

I wouldn’t want soft ground for him but other than that, i can’t see him beat with the 3yo allowance vs the average milers. I’d like to think he’d go off quite short here. Surely Frankie will ride him regardless this time + he’ll be 2/1 or so come the day. There was good money for him at Ascot + while he’s still relatively low on experience and proven form i don’t see how he could be any bigger than that. Maybe even shorter.

There is no betting up for Circus Maximus, depending on Magna, i’d imagine he’ll end up coming here?

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 590

Didn’t they say Too Darn Hot is now targeting this? Can still see Frankie riding him.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2021

Think they said here or France for 7f. I don’t know Frenchy, i could see him sticking with him to save “face’ but other than that, he should be switching.

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

Yeah, they should face reality that King Of Comedy is the better horse, and I hope and reckon John Gosden will be able to see this if even we can :-)

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

So TDH will be heading for Prix Jean Prat over 7f on Sunday.
    Afterwards Gosden decides if TDH goes here or to Prix Jaques Marois.
    If the former, I wouldn’t be afraid of him as rival, but I would worry if Gosden then sacrifices King Of Comedy to increase TDH’s chances. We’ve seen this principle from Gosden several times, and I really don’t want it to happen again. I hope John Gosden does his job this time, which should be to run the best horse here, right?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 866

Even thought the older horses dont look much cop are any of these 3yo milers any good

That st James palace didnt look a great race to me

Certainly didnt see a star unless king of comedy finds significant improvemeny again

Think I will probably avoid the mile division like the plague for now as it’s a complete minefield

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2021

If the former, I wouldn’t be afraid of him as rival, but I would worry if Gosden then sacrifices King Of Comedy to increase TDH’s chances.

I would imagine King Of Comedy will head here regardless of TDH. He was happy to run them both vs eachother at Ascot.

Certainly didnt see a star unless king of comedy finds significant improvemeny again

It’s hard to be certain how good KOC is or will be..He’s improved his level of form very quickly given he had a layoff. His Heron win looks good now and he looked to most like he was much the best horse in the SJP. Whether that will take him as far as stardom or not i’m not sure! Hopefully though, as the mile division needs it.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 866

Personally I thought too darn hot shaped like much the best horse in that race but didn’t go through with it

Just watched it again and king of comedy didn’t exactly fly home, at the 1 furlong pole he was maybe a head behind skardu and finished a length in front of that horse

Anyone that got on him for this at nice prices fair enough you have a good bet, I just cant have king of comedy at all at current prices

Let’s just pray he improves again and we can stop watching these crap older milers taking it in turns to win

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    • Total Posts 21056

King of Comedy needs the race to pan out his way to stand a good chance, his running style sees him played late or am I imaging that. Perhaps they could change tactics if the pace is standard. He’ll be alright if the go a tempo. Too Darn Hot is unreliable on the face of it but has still ran some decent races just not turned out how we’d have expected it to. Agree with FF91 that he didn’t go threw with his effort and in my opinion (normally wrong) I’d put it down to an issue with the horses temperament rather than him being a non stayer. He ran decent fractions to close the gap on Telecaster in the Dante over 10f so I think it was easy answer on the day. We’ll see how he gets on in France but if he can run through the line and be back to something like his best then it wouldn’t surprise me if he turns up here.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2021

King of Comedy needs the race to pan out his way to stand a good chance, his running style sees him played late or am I imaging that.

He ran like that last time out, but not so much on any of his previous starts. Gosden said he’s still learning and i’d say its more down to that rather than being tricky.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.