The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

PUNCHESTOWN FESTIVAL

Home Forums Horse Racing PUNCHESTOWN FESTIVAL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    johninrialto
    • Total Posts 16

a cracking 4 days of racing starts tomorrow at punchestown, and i for one will be on both, EBYZIAN, and SNOWY MORNING, for mr. mullins is the man to follow at this festival.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Does anyone else think that the ground will be way too fast for Nickname tomorrow? For some reason he’s still quite a short price. Newmill was a steal when I got him at 3.25 earlier today on BF IMO.

The race I’m really looking forward to though is the Irish CH on Friday. I’m very interested to see if Sublimity can follow up his Cheltenham win, because he looked like a proper champion that day. He was also swiped at 3.5 on Sunday.

EDIT: I do like the look of your Snowy Morning. Ebinzayd I’ll pass on, don’t see too much value there. Also don’t know the Irish NvH scene too well.

(Edited by Friggo at 11:13 pm on April 23, 2007)

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

If Clopf goes off anywhere near the forecast 2/1 tomorrow afternoon, then he has to be backed.

His defeat to Hide The Evidence (who reopposes) came as somewhat of a surprise, but he had previously looked a horse full of class. The annihilation of Aitmatov is extremely good form (the third horse from their second meeting has since won very easily, albeit from a mark of 102) and the manner of Clopf’s victory on the flat recently was markedly striking.

Fast ground will hold no fears, his previous defeat has been explained (heavy going, among other reasons) and he’ll be tuned to the second for this race. The likes of De Valira don’t look up to scratch and seem particularly vulnerable to a horse with gears. Ebaziyan won what was, for me, a fairly weak Supreme Novices where the third horse clearly didn’t handle the ‘dead’ ground (was also quicker than the official soft). He’s useful, but nothing out of the ordinary and will need a trip to be seen to best effect.

I think Nickname may just be kept in the race, and if allowed to dictate matters as he did when first arriving from France, should run this lot ragged. He’s undoubtedly a soft ground horse, and I’d suggest an unbeatable one given those conditions, but he has plenty of natural ability and class should see him through.

The only other betting propositions I see, as well as Clopf, are Fleet Street (3.30) and One Cool Cookie (4.40). I was very impressed by the former’s return to action, going away at the finish having looked likely to get outpaced and think OCC’s victory over Schindler’s Hunt stands up pretty well against the likes of Aces Four. Ferdy Murphy’s runner won’t, in my eyes, develop into anything close to a Gold Cup horse (though I’m prepared to eat my words), has had a run recently and didn’t beat much of a chaser in Faasel (which I found out to my peril when backing him at Ayr at the weekend).

(Edited by LetsGetRacing at 1:05 am on April 24, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Hi Johninrialto, welcome to the forum.<br>I agree with LGR that Ebinzayd might find things happening a little too quickly for him around this circuit, also that Nickname could be good enough, even on better ground.<br>Couldn’t agree about Aces Four though; apart from the fact that he and Faasel ran in what amounted to two separate races, AF’s unlucky run behind Denman should be form enough to win this well.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Completely agree with LGR re: Clopf. Geraghty apparently was quoted as saying he was the best horse he’d sat on since Moscow Flyer. Whilst I think ebaziyan is a good horse I think Clopf may be a bit special. I’ll be backing him quite heavily.

Difficult to split Aces Four and Snowy Morning but I think Aces Four may just have a bit too much pace for Snowy Morning who looks an out and out stayer to me. I’ll stick that in a double with Clopf as well.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Quote: from LetsGetRacing on 1:03 am on April 24, 2007[br]I think Nickname may just be kept in the race, and if allowed to dictate matters as he did when first arriving from France, should run this lot ragged. <br>

<br>So have you heard there’s going to be a reversion in tactics? Nickname has been held up off the pace on every run this season.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I haven’t heard anything, nore, merely stating that I think he would benefit from a front-running ride given the ground conditions, tactics he used so effectively when first arriving from France.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Anyone know what the ground is today? SP or ATR don’t seem to be listing it…

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

According to irish-racing.com it is good on the hurdle and chase courses, and good-to-firm on the cross country course.

I’d have thought it’d be riding on the fast side of good though.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

There’s a quote on the RP website that says that officials believe the ground to be ‘on the easy side of good’ as of last night.

And LGR, don’t you think if Nickname tried to lead that him & Newmill would perhaps cut each others’ throats?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Shows what I know about the going :biggrin: , although I did not know there had been a little rain over the last day or two.

Newmill has not looked the same horse over fences this season, and whilst a front running ride may help bring back some of the old sparkle, I don’t think it will be enough. But just because two front runners go off together, doesn’t mean that the pace is going to be suicidal. Nickname has plenty of class and, having grown up a little over the last year, doesn’t seem to mind coming side-by-side with horses. In my view he has enough to win this race, and win it comfortably if everything goes right.

Chris B25
    • Total Posts 27

Nickname has been withdrawn.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Newmill must surely win this now then.. River City second Our Ben third

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from Aragorn on 3:31 pm on April 24, 2007[br]Newmill must surely win this now then.. River City second Our Ben third

Mansony is a big unknown on the ground but if he takes to it id certainly fancy him to run a big race.

SHL

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from Aragorn on 3:31 pm on April 24, 2007[br]Newmill must surely win this now then.. River City second Our Ben third<br>

Nice, couldn’t have been more wrong!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.