The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26066

O’Brien is not shy of going mob handed and using team tactics to block/harass/intimidate a fancied rival. I think he is confident Tuesday will win

Member since March 2008
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4582

Yeah I’m pretty sure I also read stone age goes the eclipse, they aren’t sure he stayed 1m4f

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26066

He’d stay this one.
    Steady fractions a possibility

Member since March 2008
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3503

As I said I think the knowing the course angle is a bit overplayed for the majority of courses, obviously there are ones that do need knowing like say an Epsom, Beverley, Chester or Goodwood for example and I would imagine there are a fair number of courses in Ireland that take a whole lot more knowing than the Curragh would, which is a big wide open galloping course

LD, as Ginge alluded to earlier, there’s a massive danger of Ballydoyle race tactics coming to play on their home turf. IF you don’t think having the Colin Keane on board over Hornby at the Curragh for that point alone then i’m shocked. Nevermind the fact CK is up there with the best and is regularly put on horses in Ireland when fancied having never ridden them before and produces the goods. He’s the champion in Ireland in Ireland 3 times in a row and the record breaker for a reason.

Your point on if Westover had won is a fair one, who knows, but he didn’t.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4582

I always think the curragh is a good front runners track

Can be tough to peg horses back if they kick for home early

It’s why hurricane lanes performance in this race to pick up lone Eagle who was given a peach of a ride by frankie was so impressive

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4582

8 declared

Tuesday aidans only runner

Rain forecast

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

Anyone who followed Nathan in and grabbed the 5/2 is entitled to be on good terms with themselves.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1722

No team tactics here then – pretty strong statement from Ballydoyle as to who they thought was the best option to win this race.

Pace angle will be extremely interesting as Lionel took an age to get going at Goodwood on soft ground (was first off the bridle a long way out) so he will be praying for a really good gallop, Westover can be very keen early on so I fully expect that he will be dropped in accordingly.

French Claim made the running on his winning seasonal debut and chased Stone Age in second place in the Derby trial before finishing 3rd so he could be a likely candidate but it really wouldn’t surprise me that if nobody went on, Ryan (drawn in stall 1) would be happy to just dictate from the front as we know how good he is at that and as they always say the best place to be in a slowly run race is in front.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

Tuesday stays 1m4f perfectly well but has also been placed in two Guineas Classics at a mile.

She’s also a June foal who will still be improving up to six months after others have peaked.

Whatever they do, she murders them for foot at the business end.

11/8 favourite now.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

“Whatever they do”?

You surely know as well as I do, Ian.
    If a race is truly run with equal or faster early fractions then horses are only staying on at the end, nullifying any turn of “foot”.

Trouble is the apparent lack of a front runner in this race willing to take them on at a good gallop. French Claim might go forward but this is his first try at 1 1/2 miles and doesn’t exactly look crying out for a step up in distance. So if going to the front French Claim is imo unlikely to set a fast pace. Westover may set it himself. In the past he has been known to take a hold in the early stages, so it would not be ideal. However connections may need to take that risk because the alternative is a slow pace and getting beaten.

Value Is Everything
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13906

Didn’t catch much racing in May, but caught Boundless Ocean running here, and took note of him.

I’ve just watched his last run, so I now see why he’s the big outsider here, and he looks up against it. I’ll give him a try though. Would probably need things to fall apart big time, but I’ll have a go.

Boundless Ocean 80’s EW

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

With a four timer today Colin Keane showed why he’s replaced Hornby on Westover.

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

Good luck with Boundless Ocean VTC,
    With the stable in fine form and just in case he’s allowed to dictate I’ve taken a bit of French Claim @ 43/1.

Value Is Everything
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2490

The horse I would expect to improve the most is Hannibal Barca at 8/1.
    As an outsider at bigger odds – between 66/1 and 80/1 now – I like Glory Daze who certainly didn’t handle Epsom last time out. This easier track could suit both selections.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2409

“Whatever they do, she murders them for foot at the business end.”

She won’t be good enough.

I don’t lay horses, but if I did she’d be lay of the day for me.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2490

Wasn’t Balanchine the last filly to have won an Irish Derby? What makes Tuesday’s Oaks form so special? She only beat winners at 1m2f and she is facing some potential improvers. I think she should be at around 2/1 – 5/2, but not 11/8.

Don’t think that Westover should be shorter than 2/1 or 5/2 either. No matter what happened at Epsom.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

Take Desert Crown out of The Derby and Hoo Ya Mal wins from Westover.

Take Tuesday out of The Oaks and Emily Upjohn wins from subsequent Prix De Diane winner Nashwa.

I just think The Oaks was the better race.

A lot of people don’t rate Tuesday, but she’s a June foal placed in two Classics before winning one.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.