2020 Grand National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2020 Grand National

This topic contains 55 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  LostSoldier3 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15620

You’ll get paid on some of them Nath.

If there were four in your multiples, then the 4 Fold Acca part would be down, but you’d still have the doubles, trebles….

If NRNB, that would obviously change things, and all the lines would be Live if he didn’t make it.

That’s how I approach it anyway.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20746

Thanks Bob, that’s what I was thinking.
    Done Tiger Roll in plenty of small multiples and done Elegant Escape in singles with NRNB as I think he has potential at the longer trip

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    TheKryptonFactor
    TheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Just been thinking about this race for the last 20 minutes or so, the first time since April.

Mentioned Big River on this thread earlier in the year. Jumping let him down thrice in big handicaps last season and would need to see substantial improvement on that front. He’s only had 17 rules starts, rendering his age (will be 10 next year) slightly misleading with regards to his capacity for improvement. Would be concerned that his jumping will just never improve. Has a phenomenal engine but errors will limit his capacity to stay the trip properly for me.

Step Back doesn’t strike me as the easiest horse to train. Lightly raced, even more so than Big River. Amazingly, he’ll be a 10 year-old next season having only had 10 rules starts. Absolutely my cliff horse and I’ll back him wherever he turns up. He appears to jump right on occasion, most notably in this race last year. That will always be a nagging concern and you’d think connections might just target the Bet365 Gold Cup again. He finished a respectable 3rd in that race and you could imagine he’d have run better without the hindrance of an Aintree run beforehand.

Tiger Roll is a wonderful horse but will permanently be a shorter price than he should now. Thought Gun Digger from the same ownership is worth considering. Fell in the 4 miler and pulled up at Fairyhouse. He’d need to prove his stamina (to qualify, let alone become a contender) but looked a shade outpaced over 2m 4f last season. His presence in the 4 miler would indicate they reckon he’ll at least be a 3 miler in time. Need to see more evidence before he cements a place on my shortlist but worth keeping an eye on.

I’m a huge Discorama fan and he’d be a strong fancy at this stage. Still licking my wounds after the Cheltenham defeat but he’ll likely have his handicap mark minded for a target next season. That could well be at Cheltenham rather than here but anything below 155 and I’d be massively interested. Others will obviously enter the picture throughout the season and Discorama would be the only horse I’d even half consider betting this far out (not doing my money on Step Back ante-post again).

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15620

Good luck Nathan, Elegant Escape an interesting one, he surely wins another decent pot this year……or two.

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 680

I dont think there is any race that would suit EE worse than the national.

Quite simply he would not handle the canal turn. Something like Tiger Roll is probably taking 15 to 20 lengths out of EE at that turn by the time he has stopped and then got going again.

Not a chance Tizzard will send him to the natiomal same as it was never going to happen last year.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20746

This is the Legend, the greatest horse of all time
    he wings the canal

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 680

https://www.racingpost.com/news/lostintranslation-housed-in-cue-cards-stable-with-tizzard-dreaming-of-gold-cup/398736

I think Colin has had one margerita to many on his summer holiday. He forgets to mention the legend. :-(

No surprise Native River is being aimed at gold cup again. If your record is 3rd 1st 4th in the gold cup theres only ever one place you are heading for. I wouldnt give him a chance in the gc again but understand they have to go there.

Red Rum 77
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1077

I did think after their performances in the Hennessy/Ladbrokes that Native River & Elegant Escape would be suited by the Grand National more so than the Gold Cup however you can’t blame Tizzard for going for Gold. If any are aimed for the National it would similar to Neptune Collonges when they reached 12, probably.

Tiger Roll is going for win number 3 this time around, but let’s not forget he was run very close by Pleasant Company who fell last year, with better luck might be better.

However I’d be looking myself for any improving sort over the coming season.

Lemons68
    Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Krypton, good luck again with Step Back. I will watch him closely again this season, and he surely must get his head in front sooner or later. I agree though, I think he would better back at Sandown, rather than here.

I still really like One For Arthur at 50-1, and I could see me having a bet on him sometime soon.

The one horse who I think is really really overpriced is Cloth Cap at 66-1. I could easily see him being my first bet. I think that if he stays sound, he is a guaranteed starter here.

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 104

I do like a long range punt on The National.

I haven’t bet him, but I’m surprised that there’s no mention of Rathvinden. I know he’ll be 12, but he doesn’t have a lot of miles on the clock, and I think he’s a nice price at 33-1. He’ll surely be trained with this in mind.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Cloth Cap could be a shout, Lemons – National already nominated as the target by Jonjo. Does need to win a nice pot to get his rating up though.

help fight the decline of The Racing Forum - send personal message for details

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.