The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horses Don’t Quicken

Home Forums Horse Racing Horses Don’t Quicken

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Stop being such a dork

Any need for this? If you think the poster is wrong, then say so and expand.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

As I remember Alan Potts had something to say on this subject in ‘Against the Crowd’ (I can’t find my copy at the moment so I am repeating from memory) but it was something along the lines that very often horses look as though they are accelerating at the end of races but in fact they are merely maintaining their speed for longer (and thus demonstrating what he called ‘power’) whilst the others are tiring.

That would be more prevalent in races with a faster pace throughout. Such like a 100m race in athletics. The athletes are going full speed for the full duration, so when lactic acid build up is at its’ highest at the end of the race, then it will show people slowing rather than getting faster.

However, for slower run races, then yes, people and horses can quicken up at the end. It all depends on the pace of the race beforehand.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Scallywag, IMO you are not really helping Tuffers who is simply asking questions by your one line seemingly condesending comments. This is a forum where constructional comments seem more welcome. Why do you not expand and be a bit more helpful? You scallywag.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5457

Sectional timing is the only way to quantify whether horses are accelerating or decelerating over a set distance, and from what velocity the change is occuring from.

Trying to glean this from watching a race is nigh on impossible, and misleading. To the eye a horse may appear to be quickening when infact it’s actually slowing down less rapidly than the others it’s passing.

I’ve no idea if all horses are slowing at the end of a race, but would guess the majority are.

Cue Prufrock and Jim F?

scallywag76
    • Total Posts 280

Any need for this? If you think the poster is wrong, then say so and expand.

I already have, dork. Perhaps you’re unhappy that you’re not the arch bully after all.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

As I remember Alan Potts had something to say on this subject in ‘Against the Crowd’ (I can’t find my copy at the moment so I am repeating from memory) but it was something along the lines that very often horses look as though they are accelerating at the end of races but in fact they are merely maintaining their speed for longer (and thus demonstrating what he called ‘power’) whilst the others are tiring.

That would be more prevalent in races with a faster pace throughout. Such like a 100m race in athletics. The athletes are going full speed for the full duration, so when lactic acid build up is at its’ highest at the end of the race, then it will show people slowing rather than getting faster.

However, for slower run races, then yes, people and horses can quicken up at the end. It all depends on the pace of the race beforehand.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head gaz, if you have just jogged for most of a race and are full of running, you wouldnt slow down, you would accelerate (obviously until you hit your top speed and can accelerate no further), but I dont think you would slow down unless it is a race where you and/or everything else is battling on tired, with nothing left, and I agree that I have seen such races, where that is clear to be seen

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You guys obviously think I’ve got a screw loose with my question but I’m convinced I’ve read somewhere that the final furlong is always run in a slower time than the penultimate furlong but I can’t find it anywhere on the net.

The reason I think it’s an important point is that it illustrates (if my point is correct) how difficult it is to read a race.

As I said earlier "Does it matter"?
    Surely any information that can be gleaned from knowing whether a horse is slowing or accelerating is also available through studying the form and pace of the race anyway?

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Good memory that man :)

Here’s a link to Alan’s book online. The start of Chapter 2 is the relevant bit

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id= … c#PPA21,M1

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Perhaps you’re unhappy that you’re not the arch bully after all

Please explain

scallywag76
    • Total Posts 280

Scallywag, IMO you are not really helping Tuffers who is simply asking questions by your one line seemingly condesending comments. This is a forum where constructional comments seem more welcome. Why do you not expand and be a bit more helpful? You scallywag.

It’s not that difficult to understand really is it? Use of the word ‘quickened’ was, surely, never intended to indicate that a horse was suddenly travelling at a pace hitherto not experienced at any other stage of the race in question.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

It’s not that difficult to understand really is it? Use of the word ‘quickened’ was, surely, never intended to indicate that a horse was suddenly travelling at a pace hitherto not experienced at any other stage of the race in question.

But as this thread has shown, that’s exactly what many people think it means.

IMHO the point I’m trying to make is critical to finding winners. It’s easy to think that a horse who appears to be finishing fast and fails to win is worth backing next time but if you understand that it isn’t speeding up at all it puts a completely different complexion on things. I love opposing horses who appear to have been unlucky fast finishing losers last time out because the misconception that those horses are actually speeding up at the finish causes them to be overbet and makes the market for me

scallywag76
    • Total Posts 280

Please explain

ooh err missus!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Are the drugs particularly ripe this year on the Isle of Man?

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

You guys obviously think I’ve got a screw loose with my question but I’m convinced I’ve read somewhere that the final furlong is always run in a slower time than the penultimate furlong but I can’t find it anywhere on the net.

The reason I think it’s an important point is that it illustrates (if my point is correct) how difficult it is to read a race.

Ok – fine, but we all get an immediate suggestion of what this topic is about based on your title. "Horses don’t quicken". So … which one is it?

PS. Are we all this thin-skinned? Somebody criticises – not belittles – another poster for their comments and others are jumping up and down calling disgrace, or rudeness … whatever you wish.

You participate in a forum of opinions and views from other posters – so one must be prepared to encounter unlikeable statements. But that’s the deal with a forum. Freedom of opinion.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Are the drugs particularly ripe this year on the Isle of Man?

A little acronym you may like to beat in mind, Andrew is PDNFTT

Which translates as Please Do Not Feed The Troll

ie don’t reply to their posts it only encourages them

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.