RTV vs SSR

Home Forums Horse Racing RTV vs SSR

This topic contains 236 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Cav Cav 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 973

I’ve been forced to listen to it today as my ITV app was playing up on my phone :negative:

It’s been alright but they need to utilise Blake more, he’s the best analyst they’ve got. ITV with Murtagh, Smullen & Weaver was class yesterday i thought. Brilliant knowledge between those three.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

In his column today, Richard Forristal poses the possibility that Irish racing’s move to RTV, described as a retrograde step by Michael O’Leary, may have played a part in GHS’s decision to wind down.

Whether it did or not the decision could lead to a gradual collapse in the price of Irish pointers which in turn could lead to more of them being bought by British owners to the detriment of Irish Jumps racing thus making its broadcasting rights less valuable. The reduced revenue they would bring into Irish racing could continue any downward spiral and perhaps affect the broadcast priority of RTV or whomever else might own the rights in the future.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1734

Struggling to tie those two things together GM does he say why?

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

The way Forristal segues these two paragraphs early on in his piece, Jack, is what aroused my suspicions:

“…To paraphrase the man himself when reacting to Irish racing’s move to Racing TV, this is a retrograde step for Irish racing.

We do not know whether there is anything more to the decision than we are being told,…”

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

To be honest everyone can jump up and down and threaten closures and loss of revenue all they like the decision has been made irish racing is with rtv for another 3 and half years so instead of all this the irish need to work out a compromise until the rights come up again in 2022, RTV will not relinquish the rights so Irish racing will have to struggle through it’s own made austerity and come up with a plan for what happens on January 1st 2023.

One thing is for sure the idiots at the HRI have downgraded the price of the tv rights at the next round as Sky will not be paying anywhere near the price Rtv has now all these people are saying “we need you Sky”.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 78

RTV are not seriously going to show a tin pot race at Navan 5 minutes before the Group One at Newbury are they??

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

RTV are not seriously going to show a tin pot race at Navan 5 minutes before the Group One at Newbury are they??

Why wouldn’t they Navan have as much rights to tv exposure as boring Newbury Rtv have paid for Navan so why wouldn’t they show it it’s not a jumps race it will be over with in 2 minutes.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Well I flicked between the three racing programmes for an hour before the Scottish Cup final started.

ITV told their viewers that three horses could be out the big handicap at Haydock 20 mins before it started because of a lack of jockeys. As far as I can see RTV didn’t even mention it until 90 secs before the off.

Meanwhile SSR had one meeting to cover. 35 mins between races but as soon as the winner passed the post in their big race of the day they go for a commercial break!?!

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363

Sorry but this is going to be another moan about the annoying Irish racing getting in the way.

Hunter chase night at Stratford is personally one of my favourite race days, but tonight it’s getting minimal coverage having to snuck in before the ever so exciting meeting at Down Royal :negative:

I can only guess how little coverage Epsom will get tomorrow

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

Phil and Louise, I know you have both cancelled at about the same time that I did. Have you received any communication from RTV?

I haven’t and when I went into my account it showed the next payment to be taken 5/6/2019! So I have changed my payment method to an expired debit card (all you can do).

It seems that customer service is non-existent. RTV had better not take another payment! It does not have my permission and I have an itemised record of the start time and length of my cancelling phone call.

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363

Not a word GoldenMiller, however I was told that they would take one more payment after my cancellation as I need to give them 28 days notice or something like that.

I would love to add my voice to the number annoyed by the introduction of irish racing, but I guess they only care about the number of saps… sorry people… still bothered to pay for the service

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

@philwalker Stratford and Down Royal were both ATR tracks so did it bother you when they were both on the other channel with adverts as well.

There is nothing you can do about Irish Racing it is where it is RTV paid a lot of money for it and it will not be dropped just because of a minor track like Stratford.

espmadrid
    espmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 521

Both channels are in a no win situation, they can’t keep everyone happy and unfortunately the racing fan doesn’t seem to be their top priority.

Clearly there’s far too many televised neetings even for two channels to comfortably show. Unless there are contractual reasons, or pressure from the bookmaking industry, it is bewildering that one day when SSR had only a single UK meeting, they insisted on having a split screen in order to show handicaps from Hong Kong live.

Nothing they could do about the clash, but surely the Hong Kong races could have been recorded and shown a few minutes later, reducing the half hour hiatus until the next live race.

I totally understand the frustrtation with RTV, it’s live coverage is definitely suffering. However, for those of us who have to work, as long they maintain their full race replay programmes, I still believe the subscription is worth paying. (Did manage to mess up Cartmel on Wednesday evening though).

The steady increase in the number of Irish fixtures each year doesn’t help, but to claim that annoying split screens are now more prevelant than they used to be when ATR had the rights is just wrong. There were countless occasions when ATR had to employ a split screen as the Irish authorities hardly ever delayed their start times to accommodate UK meetings.

I’m not sure what the relative contractual situation is, but if the live UK and Irish racing have the same priority, then RTV presumably have no choice but to show every race live as far as possible.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

@espmadrid The only solution is for racing to be split in packages like football is and each day where possible both channels get an even amount of racecourses handed out by the BHA, but this will never happen the racecourses believe they have the rights to sell their own rights and Sky and RMG don’t want to give up their own courses plus who would decide which racecourse and which race was of better grade than the others?

On the other hand we have seen what happens when the authorities sell the tv rights themselves with irish racing so what is the best way?

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

I notice Racing tv call their main programme The Full SP,ridiculous name I was wondering what SP stood for maybe I shouldn’t ask.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.