RTV vs SSR

Home Forums Horse Racing RTV vs SSR

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I hope the irish authorities realise now how stupid they were now they could have had almost unrivaled attention on Sky today and they instead get a split screen with Goodwood all afternoon, I hope whoever is involved in Ireland is planning for 2023 to get the rights given to Sky and planning now.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

They just done a triple split screen :wacko:

JamesH
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Yeah 3 screen split on RTV today i have never seen that before. Wait until a few weeks time and they have NINE meetings on one day.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 396

Back to SSR for a minute

I notice that there’s been no Sunday Debate either last week or this week

Has the show been dumped ?

Although I thought the old format of The Racing Forum on ATR was better I still miss my Sunday morning racing chat

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Racing TV getting an absolute pasting on Twitter nearly 24 hours later

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5up3G3WAAc9zDN.jpg

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

In terms of the Irish rights in 2023, is SSR really attractively progressing or is it just ATR in disguise?

Any split screen denies the viewer the paid-for luxury of the big picture. Casting an Extra stream affords lower picture quality and viewing an Extra stream is relatively like watching paint dry. In any case it is not entirely predictable to calculate when RTV will go to a split screen.

RTV’s coverage has become conveyor belt racing. It must add a second TV channel for no extra cost. It would not be necessary every day.

But looking at BH Monday’s racing (3 British, 2 Jumps, 1 Flat; 2 Irish, 1 Jumps, 1 Flat) a second TV channel would allow RTV to split coverage and restore viewer enjoyment. Preferably the split would be between Jumps/Flat but British/Irish would also be acceptable. And knowing this in advance the BHA could schedule off times to fit in nicely with the 2 Flat meetings on SSR (i.e. perhaps differently to how they have done now). The key thing is the viewer would have total choice of when to switch between three TV channels and be guaranteed a big screen picture of the races they want to see with the minimum of fuss.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Even with an extra RTV Channel,The BHA would still make a mess of scheduling the off times…a chimps tea party at the zoo would do a better job.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

As I understand it:
    Before the tapes go up/gates open – the British often wait until an Irish race has finished.
    Irish authorities refuse to reciprocate.
    So in most cases split screens are probably the fault of the Irish rather than RTV.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

I have no great regard for the BHA but surely it can get something right.

That used to be the case, Ginger, but I heard that Irish tracks were being more cooperative since RTV acquired the rights. To not be so is shooting themselves in the foot and diminishes the validity of Irish criticism of RTV.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

I “heard it” too GM, don’t see it though.

value is everything
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Just looked at tomorrow Kempton 3m races are going off 5 mins before The Curragh so anyone wanting to see The Curragh full screen you have no chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Why do race times need to be always to a 5 minute timetable? Why not have races going off at 3:47 or 4:22 if fitting in to the schedule better?

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

That’s a good idea. I’m surprised it hasn’t already been introduced for AW Flat as that is glorified Dog racing!

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Nevermind having weird start times, a lot of the British public have trouble telling the time as it is let alone trying to work out 14.17.

It is 2019 the starters could have a phone in their hand showing live racing from Sky or Rtv and can see themselves when the previous race is reaching the final furlong we not living in the 70s or 80s where they would have to go to a phone box to ask someone if the race has finished even an walkie talkie to someone with a tv is not hard to do.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1997

Anyone else actually enjoying the Sky coverage of Chester? I am quite a bit tbh, perhaps less bookies reps would be good.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 272 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.