The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

RTV vs SSR

Home Forums Horse Racing RTV vs SSR

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1178

As many of you know, I cancelled my RTV subscription in May. As Ham says, there is “no enjoyment” in watching RTV anymore. It used to be very enjoyable viewing until it acquired Irish racing and from the start, Greenasgrass, I have been an advocate of a second channel. I will not resubscribe until there is one. So, I’m an example of money lost by racing to other sports.

That is not to have a pop at Irish racing, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Punchestown/HRI are understandably “very disappointed” about Sunday’s occurence, and all you ever hear from RTV is along the lines of “Unfortunately, we are always at the mercy of unforeseen delays in horseracing, but we will review Sunday’s output and the processes in place and will continue close dialogue with the BHA, HRI and the racecourses about the planning and management of race times to improve the scheduling of UK and Irish racing. Good progress has been made this year on that front but there’s always more that can be done.”,however, RTV are obliged to show all British races live, unforseen delays in NH racing are common enough to be forseen, and the real problem is AIR ceding control of the rights to SIS, otherwise Irish racing would still be on a second channel (ATR/SSR).

The chairman of AIR is Conor O’Neill who is also chair of HRI’s media rights committee AND general manager of Punchestown! Was it greed or lack of foresight which led to the rights being sold?

I have every sympathy with fans of Irish racing who had to endure a huge race with virtually no commentary entirely on a split screen. But as a fan of British racing it is equally annoying to receive the big domestic race of the day on a split screen, with all of the distractions that that entails. RTV’s own greed has ruined the channel.

My suggestion for yesterday is that the John Durkan having already been delayed for 11 minutes should have been held until the Peterborough was finished, with the subsequent race at Cork (and if necessary the 2.15 at Kelso) then also being delayed. Racecourses are capable of catching up and getting back on schedule. All it takes is cooperation and, because of RTV’s obligations to British racing, O’Neill and his colleagues should be willing to bend over backwards to give it. They presumably knew of RTV’s obligations when selling the Irish rights and, therefore, their complaints when this kind of situation occurs are founded on very shaky ground. As usual it’s the paying customer who loses out in every way.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

It worked well in the past on ATR because they had the rights to fewer meetings overall so a race clash was less likely (but not a given that it would never happen) and should it become a case where SSR are able to get more racecourse to jump ship to their side they will face the exact same problem too.

At the end of the day I think a RTV2 channel will most likely be the answer (assuming that it is a cost issue for why they haven’t put it in place already prior to Irish racing coming aboard) but both sides must come together to better plan race times between them for next season especially on days when there are multiple cards on both sides of the water.

I am fortunate to have both RTV & ATR/SSR and have online access but even that ended up going pear shape as I couldn’t access the Punchestown feed seperately for most of the race as it just had a black screen with the words ‘loading’ even though I have superfast broadband access….

Granted there will be odd times when it is out of their control to avoid clashes but in this day and age that should be kept to a bare minimum all it will take is a little more cooperation and most importantly much better communication…..a problem racing in general seems to suffer badly from.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1923

In two years time the rights to the irish racing will be back up for grabs for 2023, you can just bet in about 20 months time you will see a sudden upturn in the coverage of Irish racing from rtv and suddenly British courses who tracks are not due for imminent renewal will suddenly take a backseat.

The question is will the HRI/AIR drop the deal they have with SIS which is what caused the switch in the first place, if they do SSR will come into play if they don’t SIS deal with Rtv will no doubt be renewed plus expect RMG to offer so sort of concession in 2022.

SIS are the main reason Rtv is oversubscribed, SIS own shares in Leicester, Stratford & Chelmsford which is why the switched as well from ATR, so it is all down to SIS keeping the irish contract and the Rtv pictures deal.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

Boxing Day on RTV will be fun. Kempton, Wincanton, Wetherby, Market Rasen, Huntingdon, Leopardstown, Limerick and Down Royal. Will it ever have a full screen?

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1923

To be honest 10 fixtures on one day is ridiculous if SSR had the irish it would at least have been 5 on each channel but neither channel can do much with that amount of tracks to cover.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1923

Interesting HRI and general manager of Punchestown claim they have a good relationship with rtv and there seems to be no regrets with the change of channel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/racecourses-chairman-frustrated-over-tv-race-clashes-1.4109791

Though like the poster above they are worried about St Stephen’s Day but with 8 courses mostly jumps what on earth can Rtv, HRI or anyone do to fit in 8 meetings an hour it is impossible.

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3774

It is going to be carnage on Boxing Day. I only signed up to it for the Irish racing and see no reason why they cannot offer two packages. One for Irish racing, one for the UK or a deal for both. If it was £10 for the Irish only, they would get a lot more Irish subscribers also.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

I expect the meeting at Down Royal on Boxing Day will not be shown live by RTV. I think that was the case on ATR sometimes. However, that is still 7 meetings to fit in. Are they really going to show the King George on a split screen?

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

RTV will be doing an Irish Racing only channel on December 26th, according to Ruby Walsh in his Examiner column today.

:good:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/ruby-walsh-a-lot-of-what-happened-at-punchestown-is-so-avoidable-970390.html

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1923

Well they still have 5 jumps meetings to fit in per hour and I bet your life Virgin media viewers will not get an extra channel I bet it’s some sort of red button thing for Sky only.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1523

I know this thread is about RTV vs SSR but didn’t knowv where else this fitted unless I started another topic.

I didn’t know just exactly how bad ITV racing got.

On Saturday I recorded the racing so that later on I could sit down and watch it.

The Caspian Caviar Gold Cup Handicap Chase only had 13 runners and as you know Spiritofthegames nearly took it. In the lead up they just concentrated on the market leaders and even after the race, the outsider was in my view being totally ignored.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 106

Re ITV: it seems to me the better the race the less we see of the horses.
    It was a disgrace that they decided to show a recording of an interview with soap “actors” rather than the horses in the parade ring for the Betfair Chase recently.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

RTV have confirmed there will be an Irish channel for 26th December.

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1178

Here (hopefully) is the full spiel from RTV:

https://www.racingtv.com/news/fully-dedicated-irish-channel-to-be-available-from-racing-tv-on-boxing-day

It’s a small step in the right direction.

espmadridespmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 533

Just scrolled through the electronic TV guide on Virgin and yes, Irish Racing is scheduled on FreeSports (Channel 553) for 11.30 – 16.00 on Boxing Day.

Presumably the main RTV channel will still try and show anything that moves, be it in the UK or Ireland, which will make it pretty much unwatchable.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.