The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 3

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 3

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 588 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14928

Time to get going again, and Royal Ascot is a great place to start, as the flat season bursts into life. Just a great weeks racing, and bit the bullet, and took the week off work for it, first time I’ve ever took a holiday for this meeting. Can’t wait for all the proper jumps talk to start in a couple of months, but until then, this meeting has more than enough to whet the appetite.

Six weeks since I wrapped the old thread up, and barely had a bet since. First Saturday of my break from here, saw John Constable give me a run for my money, while in The Victoria Cup, Squats and Emell let me down badly. I may give Emell another chance tomorrow in The Royal Hunt Cup.

Went till Derby Day without a bet, and after a washout in The Dash from my 2, Blaine got me back on track in the last, and got him at a proper price in the morning. Unfortunately though, I had split my stakes on him with Ashpan Sam.

Mad keen on Monsieur Joe in The Scottish Sprint Cup, and had a few quid on, but he was never sighted, and the less said about my #2, See The Sun, the better.

Wrapped up the last thread with a shout for my old pal Aranhill Chief, and after planning to start back properly today, it was too much of an omen to see him running last night, and for the 3rd summer in a row, he rewarded me well at 20’s+ on Betfair. Can’t wait to back him again next June lol.

Really needed that, as confidence was rock bottom, as, Blaine aside, most of those bet, were well, well beaten.

Only had a few bits and bobs ante-post, but Huntsmans Close aside, I can discuss them all at a later date (hopefully).

Been very happy to leave the Exactas & Trifectas alone as well, and haven’t had one on since wrapping up the last thread. Also left my “systems” horses alone, with only 3 of them bet in the last 6 weeks as well.

Looking forward to a bet or 2 this week though, and particularly looking forward to Belgian Bill & Spark Plug (and possibly Emell) in The Royal Hunt Cup, while Huntsmans Close is a strong fancy in The Wokingham.

Not too much to get stuck into today, though will take a chance on Move In Time at a price, and also very interested in Hassle & No Heretic later.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31379

best of luck mate.
    Always enjoy this thread and the chance you give yourself for a good payday.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 14928

Many thanks Nathan, fingers crossed I can get a good payday…………or 2 haha

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

Good luck with new thread bob i pop in here quite a bit i will

Any views on galway plate and hurdle.

• Total Posts 14928

Thanks Darren, wouldn’t be the same without you popping in, and looking forward to your thoughts as the season goes on.

Yeah, already gave both races a bit of thought, and although he’d be high enough, I think Zabana could run well, as could the equally highly rated Outlander, for Gigginstown. Giggs will obviously have a strong entry, and Empire of Dirt would look to have a live chance, while the rejuvenated Mckinley might struggle to get in.

I’d be very interested in the WPM trained Urano, but he’s another who might struggle to get in, and the same could apply to a bit of a dark one in Mad Brian, who would have no problem with the drop in trip.

One I’m on the verge of betting is Spring Heeled at 25’s. Can do it when he wants to, and now given some proper slack by the handicapper, being a lb lower than he was for his game second in last years Munster National. He’ll love the summer ground, and I’m just about willing to give him one last chance at that price.

For the second year in a row though, Shanpallas is near the top of my list. Certainly wouldn’t have got in front of Shanahans Turn last year, but he still did well to grab 5th after meeting all sorts of trouble. I’ve had a few quid already at 20’s and 22’s.

I’ll probably have a proper Ante-Post bet once the entries come out, but with so many on the radar, even at this stage, then it would make sense to hold off.

As for The Hurdle, well you could actually that Shanpallas isn’t a forlorn hope for that race as well, but I’m really hoping to see Sutton Place get an entry.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

Hi bob i hear you having a party over the last few days with all these big handicaps coming up like Betfred mile,Gigaset at Ascot and Bunbury cup any views on these races.And just put up the Stewards cup in big races forum so any views on that race to.

• Total Posts 14928

lol, you’d be right Darren, love trying to dig out a few for these races, but maybe just me, but seems to be more multiple entries than usual this year.

Only bet 5 horses on their own at Royal Ascot, and taking Bossy Guest, 6 places @ 80’s, in The Royal Hunt Cup, was a wise move, turning the meeting into a mere loser for me, rather than a total washout. He’s got entries in all of these, but Gigaset appeals the most, especially with Stan James 25’s. Considering him Ante-Post, but very very risky with other potential targets.

Belgian Bill ran a screamer for me in The Betfred Mile last year at 25’s, and it was hard to take when he was awarded the race 4 months later. Very frustrating. He was a big fancy for me this year, for The Royal Hunt Cup before his withdrawal, and though maybe not the most scientific approach, I can’t possibly desert him again at the 20’s with Skybet.

I remember saying to you how bad a race The July Cup has been for me…………well The Bunbury Cup has been even worse, and don’t think I’ve ever had the winner, or even any placed that are worth a mention. I’ll definitely leave that until the day then. At a push, I’m a huge fan of Hillbilly Boy, and he’s big at 25’s for a horse in good form, though I suppose he could be a bit high in the weights now. Udododontu is also big at 33’s but no idea if it’s a serious target for him.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

Bob just made the open thread any bets on it this week

Will you be going to troon as well i remember you say you may go there. if you do don’t forget camera great to see pictures.Just make sure no pics of my bets when they get birdie putts.

• Total Posts 14928

Yeah, definitely Darren, be over to the thread shortly.

lol, that would be a low blow, taking a snap just as your man is in full swing, wouldn’t be able to show my face here again :whistle:

I’ve been down at my Caravan, which is just a short drive from Troon, for the last few days, but sadly, work has got in the way, and not looking good for making it. Absolutely gutted, as it’ll be the first time I’ve not made it when it’s been held there, but gotta work :negative:

Had a good walk about though, and great to see it looking all ready for the action, just love it when you drive in and see all the stands, marquees etc, town had a really good buzz the last few days.

I’ll just have to bet the winner now, to make up for my disappointment haha!

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

Bob any views on betfred ebor weights out this week i like IVAN GROZNY 25/1 with hills shock they that price other bookies are 12 14 mark won well over hurdles found way to ride him and Mullins won race before.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9126

My favourite race of the years. Bit out of touch at the moment but if this doesn’t bring me back in nothing will!

• Total Posts 14928

Good to see you back Moe, not the same without you popping in :good:

Darren, I’m always happy to see you liking the same horse as me, and yup, one of those occasions where we like the same one. I had a very good payout from Ivan at Aintree, and kept a close eye on him since. I also bet him at Cheltenham in The County, and he ran much better than his position suggested. I think he’s a wee bit underrated over hurdles, and as you say, they really seem to have worked him out, and his effortless win last weekend was a real eye opener.

I’ll try not to jink you at 25’s, as with it not really being an Ante-Post race for me, I was hoping to wait till the 5 day stage, but I can’t promise anything lol :whistle:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

i know you working mate but you see any golf on sunday in the area must been great there and great climax to it too

unlucky with Ballykhan mate saw that race in bookies

Nice you back Moe hope you back here for good to

• Total Posts 14928

Sadly missed most of it Darren, but looked a great duel from the bits and pieces I seen on the box. Was off work today, and back to kicking about Troon for the day, not the best timing this bunch of shifts…………I’ll make it next time.

Unbelievable with Ballykan, will be very hard to trust him in future, despite him looking a winner in waiting. Only blessing was I didn’t back him on his own, was just a bit short for me. Bad race altogether, as though I got a return from Twirling Magnet, that was wiped with my bet on the very disappointing Standing Ovation, who was a strong fancy.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7657

Bob open thread for final major of the year on monday so any views on it hope be able to see you in there

• Total Posts 14928

Still just The Open for me Darren, I’ll swerve the others.

• Total Posts 14928

One of the best weeks racing of the year, with Galway started, and Glorious Goodwood kicking off tomorrow. Something for everyone, and for the likes of me, it’s all about The Galway Plate, and Stewards Cup. I’ll no doubt have a double once I know the final decs for The Plate.

Long Term fancy for The Plate, and one of my few, what I would call proper bets so far this summer, Shanpallas, hasn’t made the gig, but got a seriously good lay in on the race from him, so I’ll take the money and run.

In The Stewards Cup, I’ve already bet Orions Bow at 14’s each way, and 15’s on the exchanges, but don’t have as much on as I’d like to. I got some consolation for that though, having backed him at Hamilton last week, so I won’t be too upset if I don’t get a return. There’s still a long shortlist for this race, a race which is giving me headaches, so until I see Bright New Dawn declared for The Plate, I’m in no rush to place that big race double.

Very quiet start today at Galway, and with the busy week ahead, I’m pacing myself.

In the 1545, I’ve sided with Stormey, who impressed me a lot last time, taking the 14’s. The same sentiment could apply to Long Journey Home, and he’s also available at the 14’s.

Seen a glimpse of ability last year from Short Stacked, and I’m happy to take a risk at the 20’s.

Finally, the 1920 looks very competitive, and a horse I know very well, Kalann looks ways too big at 16’s. Safe to say he doesn’t get his head in front too often (understatement of the year) but when in form, he’s in form, and after 2 seconds in a row, I’m hoping he can make the frame before going back off on one of his long barren spells. Renneti from the WPM yard looks overpriced, and I’ll have a small interest on him at 12’s as well.

1745 Galway
    Stormey, Long Journey Home, Shake The Bucket
    30p Combination Forecasts & Tricasts

1920 Galway
    Kalann, Renneti
    £1 Reverse Forecast

-£142

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 588 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.