The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 3

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 3

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 588 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14920

Good man Grass, best of luck to you today as well :good:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

Dawn Shadow E/W in the last for me…no winning bets for me today but good to see the names of a couple of winners on this thread.

• Total Posts 14920

Good luck Grass :good:

Yeah, had a proper lift from Champagne Classic today, and that’s the week paid for, very happy.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

Well you’re in clover today that’s for sure :good:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Well done on the winners again.

With the exception of one ride (you shouldn’t need three guesses) another very enjoyable day.

I am afraid Blast Of Koeman did what was on the tin. If he were mine I would try him in a better race because it seems he will never finish his races off, whatever the level.

I am very much hoping Penhill is the low point of week. It was gutting to easily get the best of the front three and still lose. Impossible to say for sure that he should have won but it was plain stupid to drop the horse out so far in a slowly run race. It left the horse having to quicken twice to win. It reminded me of his losing ride on Vroum Vroum Mag.

I think Sizing John probably ran 7-10lbs below his best but still managed to win. He is tough and talented. Coneygree ran a good deal better than I expected.

Fayonagh won as I expected and was backed accordingly. Nice to get a short one right for once. Hopefully, she will prove to be as effective over obstacles. I backed Paloma Blue on debut and given his size he is definitely one to bear in mind for next season.

One downside to the week has been some very poor camera shots. I still don’t know what happened to Mr Diablo but the winner has absolutely bolted up.

They have literally crawled in the last and although she was in the right place I don’t think a sprint was ever going to suit Jelan. Even in this race she was squeezed out and given her size and pedigree I suspect the paddocks beckon.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Another quiet betting day tomorrow.

Two more easy punter friendly races to begin with! I think Tully East remains the horse with most potential in these two races but I suspect Cheltenham was his day. Dropping back in trip he is going to need plenty of luck in running.

Sutton Place was initially all the rage but has now started to drift. Not sure why? He looked like he was crying out for a trip at Navan. Hopefully, Walsh will ride him close enough to the pace.

Would love to see Great Field win again. He is a great watch. He has the kind of running style that I wish Un De Sceaux still had. Imagine those two tearaways going head to head.

Mullins should take the mares novice but hard to be certain which one, perhaps Pravalaguna?

In the last I want to be against Next Destination, probably with Midnight Stroll and Rathcannon.

Good luck.

• Total Posts 14920

Yeah Grass, Minutestomidnight tied things up nicely for a very good day. I very rarely bet as low as 3’s, and I’m pretty sure that was my biggest bet at those kinds of odds for at least 10 years, and she didn’t disappoint.

• Total Posts 14920

Thanks stilvi, as I said yesterday, Western Boy paid for today, but Champagne Classic was a whole different ball game, and he’s kept me well ahead for the week. The pressure is definitely off now, and I can enjoy it a bit more.

I thought he looked a proper nice sort at Cheltenham, and I look forward to seeing him progress next season.

Head Turner was my main bet in the first, and he was very poor, however broke even with Ben Dundee nicking 5th for me at 25’s. You make a good point about Koeman, and after my three were cooked, I was shouting him home, but he certainly has his quirks.

In the next Battleford was very disappointing yet again, he’s looked a shadow of the horse we seen in bumpers, and I’m not sure where they go with him now.

That Gold Cup was a classic, and it’s great to have a horse like him around. The only downside for me with his success, is he was a horse I followed closely for the last 2 years, he was a very early Ante-Post for me for the 2016 Arkle, and he even made my Ten To Follow, so I’m just a bit pissed with myself for not being at the party with him haha. Agree definitely about Coneygree, I thought he was underpriced, and he ran a screamer, and his jumping was as impressive as ever. Fingers crossed they can keep him sound for another full season at the very least.

Great call from you for Fayonagh. You were bullish again, and it was never in doubt. Another race that I was happy with, having Paloma Blue at 20’s each way. No match for the winner, but very happy.

The Camera work was very poor as you say, and it reached a real low during the 1840. I had a few quid on Devils Bride, and he was fairly lobbing along, and I couldn’t believe it when they changed camera angle, and the jockey was on the floor. What makes it worse is that the commentator is clearly following the screen, rather than the action on course, and it’s simply not good enough. I flagged up a similar scenario on the ITV thread concerning the coverage of The Grand National. We shouldn’t have to put up with it.

Yeah, Jelan is tiny, and I hope they give up with her, she’ll surely get continually bullied out of things.

As said to Greenasgrass, Minutestomidnight was the icing on the cake today, and I’m hoping that she has a decent future. She’s gave me 2 big wins in the space of 3 weeks, and I’m already a big fan, not surprisingly.

All in all, a fantastic day, but now to tackle Thursday, and bets will be up soon if I can stay awake.

• Total Posts 14920

Not a quiet one for me today, and a few races where I’ll have 3, approaching 4, selections, so my staking will have to be quite strict in those races.

In the first, I’m immediately drawn to Pinkie Brown. A very good fifth in this last year, and he’ll come here off the same mark, but he’ll have a claimer taking a very handy 7lbs off. Now I don’t know anything about the jock, but I’m hoping he’s up to the job, and I just wonder if a repeat bid has been the plan all year. I bet him in The Plate at Cheltenham, and he was never sighted, so there’s the risk that his run in this last year was a flash in the pan, but I’m not convinced of that, and I give him a chance here. I don’t think Mulholland is the type of trainer to make the long trip for a social runner, so at 20’s 6 places, and 25’s win, he’s the main selection. Minefield of a race right enough, and of the rest, I’ll definitely be involved with Orchard Road, and Bull Ride. Orchard Road has continually caught my eye the last 18 months, and he is easily capable of a prize like this, so he’s added at 25’s as well, and at 20’s, Bull Ride has some runs already this season that put him bang there, and he looks a live one at 18’s, 20’s.

Now for the 1615, and my type of race, which will mean either feast or famine. I’ll throw a few quid at this race, as I have 4 strong fancies in it. What could possibly go wrong. First problem I have to contend with is the at 2 Harrington horses, who I have in my notebook for this meeting are both up against each other. I’ve had this meeting in mind for Mr Fiftyone all year, while having bet Neverushacon a fortnight ago, I am 100% confident having watched it, that it was a run with this meeting very much in mind. I remember last summer having a really good winner on the Saturday, and then wasting some of it on Mr Fiftyone on the Sunday, so he has let me down before, so I’ll make Neverrushacon my #1. I’ve bet Mr Fiftyone ew 12’s 4 places, and Neverushacon win 28’s, and ew 22’s 4 places.

Still on the 1615, and I also like Sizing Platinum & USA. Platinum was a strong fancy of mine for The Grand Annual, but during that cold spell from Tizzard, he ran like a pig, and was well beaten. He’s very well handicapped, and with trainer bang in form, he had to be bet at 12’s ew 4 places. USA is horse who seems to have been around for ever. He’s a bit of a heartbreak horse of mine. I had “quite a good day” 5 years ago, and won a few quid, however my biggest regret was not adding USA to the perms, and had I done so, I would have retired on the spot, as he won at a big price. I’ve got to know him very well since, and he’s in as good form as he’s been in those last 5 years, and will be here in good spirits, fresh from a spin on the all weather. 22’s ew, and 25’s win. This race will probably decide how my day goes, as I’ll probably reduce stakes later on if it’s a disaster.

I’ll sit out the Cross Country, while in The Stayers, I’ve been going on about Sutton Place all year, so it would be madness to desert him tomorrow, and happy and surprised that you can get 5’s about him (have now added 6’s). I’m not keen on backing horses as low as that, but I’m happy to make the exception for him.

One who interests me at a massive price is De Plotting Shed. Already found out at this level, but I’m hoping he has enough ability to sneak into third, and think he’s a tad overpriced at 50’s. Very happy to see Davie Russell back on board, after “getting to know him” last time.

On to the 1805, and it’s like the 1615 all over again with my eyes everywhere. I bet Sutton Manor, and Woods Well in the same race at Fairyhouse a fortnight ago, and I seen nothing to put me off them here again. Sutton got me each way returns that day, as well as at Cheltenham, and he just looks a safe each way option to me at 20’s each way 6 places. Woods Well is a massive price at 20’s, travelling like winner at Fairyhouse, before being hampered. I’ve had a decent go already at 20’s ew 6 places, and that’s the wrong price, I give him a big chance. Finally, Oscar Sam is solid horse in races like this, but with staking in mind, I’ve went win only for him at 11’s.

Totally agree about Great Field, and he’s been fantastic viewing this year. If my old pal Ordinary World can’t win at 8’s, then I’ll be shouting him on again, and if he wins, I hope he puts up another bold show from the front. (Have now added Baily Cloud at 40’s each way)

In the 1915, how much I invest will depend on how the day has went, but Awayinthewest appeals at 12’s ew, while it will be no surprise to see me go with Midnight Stroll in the last, and I took 5’s last night.

Could be a good day, could be a bad day, but having a go anyway, with Champagne Classic paying for it.

Good luck today.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Just to say I have added Ordinary World and Pravalaguna.

Ordinary World got lucky at Cheltenham but if he can recapture some of that early season spark then he must be in with a place shout. Don’t really expect him to win unless the leader gets makes mistakes.

Can see the case for Bull Ride back on a sounder surface and was considering Sutton Manor myself. Disappointing that the weakness in Sutton Place has continued. I can only think that some people think he will be outpaced on this surface. Let’s hope not.

• Total Posts 14920

Good luck with the new additions, and obviously agree that Ordinary World is a place prospect really, on known form.

I’m in a strange position with Sutton Place, in that not only betting him today, but also for a couple of prizes next year. I won’t be unduly concerned if he disappoints today. He seems to have been wrapped up in cotton wool, and clearly they are wary of the surface he runs on. What odds a late N/R. The more I think about him, the more I see him definitely going the staying chase route next year, and this wouldn’t be the first time I tout him for The 4 Miler.

Going to enjoy it today, as, win or lose today, my betting will be a bit more reserved tomorrow, having had a quick look at the card.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Sadly, just the few places between us, at least yours were at nice prices.

Not quite so happy with today’s coverage. Hugely annoying/intrusive to have to contend with the rubbish from Chelmsford. Why? In an ideal world the likes of Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown and Royal Ascot should be stand alone meetings. This isn’t the way to showcase the best of the sport. Even if they can’t scrap the other meetings then surely Chelmsford could have finished at 4.00?

I am very glad I left the first two races alone. The drop back in trip for Tully East was an absolute disaster. Hopefully, they can revive him for one of those early season Cheltenham handicaps.

Nice to see Barry Cash land the La Touche. Brought back memories of my favourite cross country horse, Big Shu.

I am afraid the demise of Sutton Place spoilt the Stayers for me. The race hadn’t unfolded but he was well enough positioned to have at least been in the three. Who knows where? I am sure the win of Unowhatimeanharry would have been quite galling for many Cheltenham backers. The positional quality of Fehily’s ride probably made the difference between winning and losing but the horse certainly showed more fight than he did on what should have been his biggest day.

Sutton Manor travelled nicely but really needs to cut out the sloppy mistakes. Headgear? Hopefully, he will take to fences.

Sadly, from my viewing perspective, Great Field was a little less exuberant than usual but he still won with plenty in hand. Personally, I would really like to see Jody McGarvey keep the ride. Ordinary World seemed to have a brief glimmer of hope running to second last but he again produced a very tame finish. At some stage I think they will try him over further, perhaps in a similar race to Tully East.

Not sure why they gifted Walsh such an easy lead on Asthuria. Feeling sorry for him? Pravalunga ran a little too free and considering she made one very bad mistake second was a reasonable performance.

Disappointed with the bumper in that I was very much against the favourite but opposed him with the wrong ones. Rathcannon looked horribly out of place in this company and ran accordingly. It wasn’t the most sensible ride by O’Connor to have Midnight Stroll out the back in a slowly run race but even so the response to pressure was pretty woeful.

Three bets so far tomorrow, Woodland Opera, Finians Oscar and Maple Mons.

I don’t see any obvious reason to desert Robbie Power. Woodland Opera won at the meeting last year and also won pretty well last time. Even if the stable were not in such good form you would have to give him a decent chance.

I think with Finian’s Oscar it is a case of just reproducing what he has already done. I am surprised he is as long as 7/4.

Maple Mons is hopefully a sporting each-way at a double figure price. She might end up being outclassed but at least she is in the form of her life.

Will update if any additions.

Good luck.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7671

Bob any views on Punchestown i like WOODLAND OPREA and RIVEN LIGHT i leave the champion hurdle knowing how racing go that Labaik win it

Any views on staying handicap chase at Perth i like Nakadam i know you love these big staying handicap races.

• Total Posts 14920

Yup Darren, Woodland Opera for me as well, so that’s you, stilvi, and myself all on him………….he better do the business lol. I’m sitting out the Riven Light race, but he must have a chance off that last run, and the race looks his for the taking.

I had a horse in Nakadams last race in a Mug31, and was quite keen on him (he got stuffed), but I thought Nakadam was the horse to take out of the race, and I’d say you’re on the winner there. I might just join you with him.

Good luck today

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

I’ve picked Le Prezien 7-1 win and Bright Tomorrow 33-1 E/W. Not many other bets apart from Bleu Berry 16-1 E/W, VVM win Ch Hurdle and a bit E/W on Home Farm in hunter chase.
    Have a good day all.

• Total Posts 14920

I was spared the coverage of ATR, as I was down in Ayrshire at my caravan, and only have Freeview there, so was at the mercy of the sites piss poor Wi-Fi, or EE’s piss poor coverage on my phone and laptop, and “watched” the races via the bookies sites. The only disaster was The Pinkie Brown race where he was in contention only for the wi-fi to cut out on my laptop, and the signal on my phone cut out approaching the last. They should not be cutting to Chelmsford, and this should definitely be a red button option.

Yeah, very definitely a “nearly day” for me, and Pinkie Brown and Neverushacon, being my main bets, certainly saved my skin.

Chuffed to bits with the pair of them, and on another day they would both have won. Being my #1’s though, I got some nice returns, and they kept me ahead on the day by a few quid, and I had another couple placed for lesser amounts later on.

I was gutted when Sutton Place pulled up, but I was happy to see UKWH win, as I do like him, and I really felt for his supporters at Cheltenham, there was surely something amiss that day. I hope Sutton Place bounces back, and I hope we see him over a fence next year.

I had to put 50p on The La Touche so I could watch it, and it nearly went the way of the winner, but in the end it went on the old boy, First Lieutenant. I’ve always liked Cantlow, but I was willing Treo Eile to win, as, as much as I love the JP runners, it was just nice to see someone else land it for a change.

Small return in the 1805, with Sutton Manor, but this race was a hard one for me. Woods Well was easily my #1, and he would would have made it a very good day, but he fluffed his lines at the last, and went backwards from 3rd, 4th, to 8th in an instant. I had tipped Woods Well to a few mates as an each way steal at 20’s, and I was gutted when he hit the last.

As for Great Field, what a horse, potential superstar, and cannot wait to see him next year. Ordinary World got me another few pounds, and I wouldn’t argue with the suggestion of stepping him up.

Pravagaluna was a solid shout by yourself, and I think you might have a proper gripe there, and I think she should have definitely have been a lot closer. I think you’ll get a few opportunities to get the cash back from her in the future.

In the last, I had a good few quid on Midnight Stroll, and I’d like to think I don’t slate jockeys too often………….but FFS.

Happy to be ahead for the third day in a row, but I’m happy to tone it down for today, and will only be playing in a few races.

I’ll happily sit out the first, and I can have an interest and shout home my old pal Enniskillen.

As I said, with you on Woodland Opera, and he looks difficult to leave out here, but I’ll be betting him to cover 2 of the outsiders in the race, On Fiddlers Green, and Bright Tomorrow. I cannot fathom the price of Fiddlers, he looked really good last summer, and though he’ll be entitled to need this, he looks way overpriced. Bright Tomorrow has let me down a couple of times, but dangerous to dismiss anything from the yard, and he looks overpriced over a trip which should play to his strengths.

In the 1655, I’ll definitely be with Definite Ruby. She’s my “sub” horse in The Ten To Follow, and I’ve always liked her as a chaser, and although she emptied out last time, with the race in the bag, I quite fancy her to get some compensation here. I’ll probably want to side with one of the Harrington horses for the forecast, but with 3 in there, it’s not going to be easy.

I’ll have a “fun” bet on Ivan Grozny in The Champion Hurdle, and have topped up to 50’s 4 places, while I’m also on Brain Power at 15-2, and have kept Labaik on side at 14’s. I’d be kicking myself if Labaik won, and I wasn’t on him again.

Final bet of the day is Kemboy in the 1805. Cheltenham suggested he isn’t a lost cause, thought he ran well enough, and he looks big at 20’s. If he doesn’t win, I’ll be shouting on Finians.

I’m sitting out the last 3, as tomorrow looks a busy day for me (nothing to do with travelling back down to Ayrshire tonight, and I’m not being allowed to watch the last 3 races lol)

Good luck

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Just added Chateau Conti in the hope he can recapture earlier form. It strikes me as a race that won’t take too much winning.

Toying with Arctic Fire but will be kicking myself if Brain Power becomes another Cheltenham letdown that hits the target. It was alarming to see him tank along only to drop away so tamely. The course by itself didn’t seem enough of an excuse.

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 588 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.