The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 3

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 3

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 588 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Just added Chateau Conti in the hope he can recapture earlier form. It strikes me as a race that won’t take too much winning.

Toying with Arctic Fire but will be kicking myself if Brain Power becomes another Cheltenham letdown that hits the target. It was alarming to see him tank along only to drop away so tamely. The course by itself didn’t seem enough of an excuse.

My main thought on the big one is to be totally against Vroum Vroum Mag. Even her best form doesn’t equate to the continual hype.

• Total Posts 14920

I’d have to admit having bought into that Vroum Vroum hype, and I do think she’s miles better than what we’ve seen this term. The big question though is whether or not she is over what (I think) has been niggling her. I do give her a serious chance today, though I hope I’m wrong, and you’re right.

• Total Posts 14920

Good luck Grass.

I’m hoping it’s going to be a good day for us, as obviously with Bright Tomorrow as well. He’s simply too big a price considering connections, and this drop back should help. I had in the forecasts last time, and he travelled very well for a long way.

Nice price on Bleu, and though I’m sitting the race out, if I was playing, I’d probably side with Home Farm. I hope he does the business for you.

Good luck :good:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7671

Bob very happy with WOODLAND OPREA he done it us and Stilvi :yahoo:

Any views on races at Punchestown tomorrow 2 nice 3m staying handicaps i like WARRANTOR and O’Faillions boy and
    AIR HORSE ONE in big handicap hurdle to.

• Total Posts 14920

Happy Days Darren, and Definite Ruby has just made me even happier.

O’Faolains Boy is my star horse in The Ten To Follow, and he’s a horse I really like, so I’ll have him onside, and here’s hoping we can keep that good run going, as I’ve also picked out Warrantor as well. My main bets at Punchestown will revolve around those 2 handicap chases, and I’ll finish off my final selections tonight. One thing’s for sure, is that Sizing Codelco will be in there too.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Well done on the winners – yet again! And to Darren.

Still enjoying watching but the betting side has been very frustrating. It feels like I have got plenty right for precious little reward.

Woodland Opera duly obliged and it is nice when everyone gets a winner. I managed to get 6/1 last night but I think he was as big as 15/2. It was another top ride.

My only thought on the mare’s race was whether Slowmotion was named after Mark Walsh’s thought processes during a race?

Another top piece of riding on Wicklow Brave and given his ability on the level perhaps the win wasn’t such a surprise. Vroum Vroum Mag was completely shot to pieces. It became very annoying to hear about her multiple Cheltenham entries over and over again when she hadn’t actually got the basic ability to win anything.

Finian’s Oscar was brutal. It was a perfect example of why backing at short prices is a fool’s game. Five lengths clear and nine out of ten times he would have beaten Bacardys. Nothing wrong with Power’s ride.

The Hunter Chase was very poor and it was sad to see On The Fringe take another step backwards. Maple Mons was weak in the market but travelled well enough before stopping as if shot four out. Can’t say she was outclassed because there definitely wasn’t much of that on offer.

The novice was a mess of a race but credit again to Patrick Mullins. Unfortunately, slightly less credit to David Mullins on Chateau Conti. What on earth was he doing?

I always find it difficult to know what to think about gambles such as that in the last race – 66/1-8/1. The average punter has no chance unless they blindly follow the market.

Having made a negligible profit over the four days decided to have more of a go tomorrow. That will probably guarantee a loss!

I was going to go each-way Mtada Supreme in the opener but will wait as there is a chance of a non-runner.

In the second race hard to see beyond White Arm. He steps up in trip but he won with loads in hand last time. The concern would be that he hasn’t won more often.

Still not entirely convinced by Apple’s Jade and I think she might be worth taking on. Augusta Kate looks the best alternative. It seems surprising to me that Walsh has chosen Karalee. Her jumping wasn’t great at Limerick and she seemed to relish the slow surface.

Struggling to see why Mega Fortune shouldn’t confirm form with Bapaume.

Waiting on the prices for Sizing Codelco. He looked a Graded horse at Aintree.

Everyone will have noted Scoir Mear at Cheltenham. I have backed him and will add one of the other JP runners. Clearly luck in running will be at a premium.

Elsewhere I have gone with Just A Par, Plaisir D’Amour and Limited Reserve at Sandown. Quite concerned that Henderson is going again with Altior. He was below par at Cheltenham and hopefully this isn’t a big mistake.

Good luck.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

Well done everyone who got a return today especially for your confidence in Woodland Opera.

My choices for the last day are
    Call it Magic 14-1 E/W
    Sandymount Duke 14-1 E/W
    Heron Heights 25-1 E/W
    Karalee 11-4 win

At Sandown I’ll probably just stick with my E/W AP bets on Theatre Guide and Just a Par.

Enjoy the last day everyone and safe journey home tonight VtC.

• Total Posts 14920

Cheers Grass, made it in one piece.

Good luck Saturday, and let’s hope Theatre Guide does a turn.

I bet Sandymount ew at 50’s Ante-Post……….but unfortunately it was for the race on Tuesday. He shouldn’t be far away, I chewed over him for this, and 14’s is more than fair. Heron Heights definitely has a big one in him as well, and I think Karalee could go to the top.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

Yeah I bet him for Tuesday too, 40s I think, and was pretty disappointed when he wasn’t declared! Think the price now partly reflects trainer form but would have been sickened if I wasn’t on.

• Total Posts 14920

Cheers it was good to get another couple of winners on the board, and my 4th day profit in a row, chuffed to bits. If it had been Wednesday or Thursday, my returns wouldn’t have guaranteed a profit, but by sitting out half of the races, that only helped.

Well done on the 6’s for Woodland Opera, smashing price, and it really was a top ride. Very pleasing that 3 of us were with him. Not my biggest win by any stretch, but happy nonetheless.

That wasn’t the best ride by Walsh on Slowmotion, but I wasn’t complaining, and delighted that Definite Ruby got the big win she deserved, jumping really well, and given a very positive ride.

Wicklow was a hard one to take. I had him for serious dough in The Champion Hurdle, and he blew the start, before getting back into things late on………..what might have been??? I thought the last flight cost Brain Power, I thought he was getting there, while I found the tactics on Ivan Grozny bewildering.

I haven’t seen the later races yet, I wouldn’t even attempt that godforsaken ATR Website with my caravan parks wi-fi, but I’ll catch them after the weekend.

Last days betting of the season today, though I’ll wind the thread up in a couple of days. Was planning on being very careful, but so many good races, and it’s been a season and a half for me, so might as well go out with a bang, rather than a whimper, and attention slightly drawn from Punchestown with a decent card at Sandown.

Punchestown first, and I’ll sit out the first, but I’ll be joining you with White Arm. Loads to like about that win a fortnight ago, and this looks right up his street. He should handle the rise in the weights, and I said after his Fairyhouse romp, that The Troytown might be ideal for him, but this may have been the plan all along, considering connections. I’ll take the 11-2 just now as I can see him getting hammered. Bless The Wings is an admirable horse, but I will pass him by reluctantly, in favour of Warrantor at around 11’s, and also, and I can’t believe I’m doing this, Captain Von Trappe. As I said, been a great season, but no thanks to this guy. He has easily been my most costly horse to follow this year, cost me a right few quid, so might as well give him one last go, for old times sake. Has done nothing to recommend him here, but I would find it hard to take if he miraculously won, without some interest.

I was actually quite impressed with Karalee last time, and I think she has plenty of scope for serious improvement. Agree about the jumping though, needs to tidy that up, but she’s my idea of the winner. She’ll be for perms only at 3’s, but would be quite confident.

Good luck with Mega Fortune, and I will shout him home for you, as I’m definitely sitting that one out as well, which brings me on to the 1700………which has given me real headaches.

I can only hope you’re right about Sizing Codelco belonging in Graded Chases. If he’s as good as I think he is, and he lands this tomorrow, then the cat really will be out of the bag. I’ve already bet him for both The “Hennessy”, and next years Gold Cup, and went the “Native River” route, and did the double. It could be back to the drawing board tomorrow if he comes unstuck, but that win at Aintree is not to be underestimated. The way he fought off everything that came at him, is exactly what I love to see in a horse, and I was well impressed. He obviously won me a fair few quid that day, but I hope that’s not the end of it. Connections rate him highly, and his Cheltenham flop came at a time when the yard was under a cloud. I’ve also went for O’Faolains Boy, for the reason stated yesterday, and I got the 20’s, while I’ll also have our old “buddy” Ttebbob as cover at around 25’s. Don’t laugh, but I’ve seen a slight spark back the last couple of times, and I’m happy to see Russell booked.

I still can’t get my head around the 1735, what a minefield, but I will stick up my selections for it later. No clue at the moment, but I will be having a go for sure.

That will finish off my Punchestown, and also my season, and what a race to finish on, going to be tough, but would love to land it.

The small matter of Sandown to contend with first.

Some nice races before the big one, but I will sit them out.

Love The Bet365 Gold Cup, and fairly happy with position, having Rock The Kasbah, Theatre Guide, and The Young Master at decent odds Ante-Post. I’ve laid a wee bit of TYM, and put that the way of Benbens. If Kasbah wins, it will be a very very happy moment.

To wrap things up there, I will take a chance on the disappointing Ptit Zig at around 9’s to bounce back, while Theinval is worth chancing again at 8’s.

My final bet on these shores for the season will be Silverhow as a saver, and a proper go on Little Jon, who’s all of a sudden back over timber, and a tasty price.

Cracking days racing, can’t wait.

Good luck.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5986

Had my eye on Ttebob as well VTC, good to see a bit of cash for him today.

GL

• Total Posts 14920

Botchy, Should have known he would catch peoples attention with Russell booked…………missed the 25’s, but managed to get the last of the 20’s.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

As you know I don’t lay horses but this week I have been strongly against both Un De Sceaux and Vroum Vroum Mag. If I had to nominate a favourite to be against today it would definitely be Shantou Village. I don’t think he is a natural over fences and I suspect he would need to better his chase form by a margin to land the odds.

• Total Posts 14920

If you’d laid all the horses you said wouldn’t win this season, you’d be quids in. I’ll be against Shantou as well today, but not enough to lay him myself……be very interested to see if you can go out with one more good call.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4887

Ominous start to the day. Obviously, not the first time JP has done the bookmakers a nice turn with an outsider. And we know it won’t be the last. In fact considering what happened in the first race JP must be the toast of the layers. Of course the two fancied ones of his in the handicap hurdle will no doubt run stinkers.

• Total Posts 14920

I wouldn’t bet against it, and it still looks a minefield that race.

• Total Posts 14920

1735 Punchestown
    Livelovelaugh, Oscar Sam, Modem
    £1 Combination Forecasts, and Tricasts

-£878.01

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 588 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.