The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joel Stakes 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Joel Stakes 2020

Viewing 14 posts - 86 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I’m pretty confident Kameko has better form than Palace Pier now, and look forward to backing him at a nice price in the QE2.

BUY THE SUN

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6595

Kameko looks slightly tripless to me

He was scrubbed along quite a way out today seeming slightly tapped for tow before running on to win

But then doesn’t stay 10f

Not sure Benbatl was at his best today, think over a mile he needs to make it a real stamina test as he doesnt have the speed

Kameko got past him fairly easily but benbatl kept plugging on, think frankie maybe shouldve gone a bit harder in the first half of the race

Don’t think I saw a threat to palace pier there myself

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Can’t agree with you. Last four times over a mile he’s won three of them, including two G1s, and one G2 giving a 5lb penalty away to a horse rated 125. The only one he lost was a vintage Sussex, where he didn’t get a run.

Kemeko is a top miler.

BUY THE SUN

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6595

Wasnt hes not a good horse

Just think palace pier is something special and will hopefully prove himself the best miler since kingman in a few weeks time

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I’d fancy Kameko, but I was more disagreeing with your point Kameko was ‘tripless’. A top miler on form.

BUY THE SUN

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

I put Benbatl loss down to the good to soft in the last two furlongs, that is when he started to struggle and got caught. I also think as somebody else said Dettori should have taken him out harder and stretched the other horses more. I was on both Kameko and Benbatl and made a small profit in the race so I can’t complain. Soft going QE11 I don’t think Kameko would win, I think he has shown his liking for Newmarket today. If Benbatl runs next year on firm I would say he would have more life in him and the right race might give an opportunity to make some money off the bookies. I am sure everybody will agree this season has been difficult with the covid and the weather has been up and down with courses over watering on occasions.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

That’s really what I meant Mike, his run wasn’t at his level I’d say, that could be ground or weight or a bit of both, hard to say.

I can’t see him beating Palace Pier on an easy surface though, which was really the point I was alluding too and I love this horse. If it’s G or GS on Champions Day he’s probably going to tempt me in cus I’d hate him to win unbacked after supporting him all year.

FF you can’t say a 2000 Guineas winner is tripless!

I’m not worried about him coming off the bridle that early, he hit a wobble in the middle of the 2000 Guineas as well. Doesn’t seem to matter.

I’d love them to meet on GF next season in the Lockhinge and Queen Anne, let’s pray!

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Frenchy I wasn’t replying to you but I was just giving my thoughts on the race and if Kameko runs in the QE11.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

I was replying to the other Mike!

Re Benbatl, you could be right.

Just read looks like Kameko will go to stud after this year 😥

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Just a mix up Frenchy, too many Mikes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16438

Bit late but had to say that Kameko did exceptionally well this afternoon to give the extra weight to Benbatl but it was a strangely run race.

Benbatl didn’t go up the hill in that softer ground but he hasn’t been off the track for a year Frenchy just 6 months as he’d been running in the UAE this year winning 2 Group 2 contests at Meydan in January and February, he just wasn’t the same horse that came here and won by 5 lengths last year, both Kameko and Regal Reality were being pushed along at one point yet both flew at the finish as Benbatl struggled when he met the dip.

Kameko seems to like the Rowley Mile having now run three times there, winning twice and beaten just a neck by Royal Dornoch in the Royal Lodge as a 2yo but how would he fair taking on Benbatl at Meydan?

Well done to all who backed Kameko today he certainly is a looker can see why you love him Frenchy. :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 946

I thought it was a very nice prep run from Kameko for the QE2, lets not kid ourselves they’d have him fully wound up to win a Group 2 when he’s already a classic winner, whatever level Benbatl has run to Kameko has still effectively given 5lbs (he should have got 4lbs WFA without his penalty) to a good horse in Regal Reality and I thought he always looked the winner and probably hit the front too soon and wasn’t doing a lot when he got there. A bigger field and stronger pace at Ascot can only help him in that regard, he has plenty to do to overhaul Palace Pier but I would make him a clear 2nd favourite on any ground.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Yes you’re right Jac, not 12 months off this time. I still think it’s a lot to ask a 6 year old to beat a 2000 Guineas winner after 7 months off the track, weight allowance or not.

I love him as he’s done me financially well of course and he is a striking looking horse but I just really love his attitude and his run style. The way he just took off about 3F out in the 2000 Guineas having hit a flat spot, still gives me goosebumps watching it! He came off the bridle yesterday about 4f out and still kept trying. Oisin has built up a very special relationship as well, he knows the horse really well now. He just really loves to race and really gives his all every time. He tried so hard in the Juddmonte bless him! He reminds me of a more talented Beat The Bank actually. I’m a little bit heartbroken he won’t come back next year but that’s the nature of the game

Tin man I agree with you, clear second fav, but PP appears to be a little level above Kameko as it stands.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16438

It is a shame Kameko retires to stud at the end of the season Frenchy but you can look forward to all the little Kameko’s taking their first steps in 2024. :heart:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 14 posts - 86 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.