The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joel Stakes 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Joel Stakes 2020

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

Itching to go in on Kameko here but not sure how certain to run he is? Anyone seen anything recently?

Ground should be fine with GF currently and not that much rain in forecast.

Benbatl the obvious danger and despite winning after a long lay off last year, it turned out to be a weak race that and there’s no guarantee at 6 he’s just as fresh after another long layoff. Plus he didn’t race against anyone any near as good as Kameko LY

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Interesting race that Frenchy! Kameko giving Benbatl a pound! In saying that i’d probably favour Kameko as well. He’s jocked up and there’s nowhere else for him before Ascot or abroad? I’d be fairly confident he rocks up here.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

It’s a slight worry the weight, I think it’s a bit ridiculous that is the case, but 4/1 is too big if he runs. I’m concerned they might just try and go straight to Ascot though. I don’t really see the point in running here to be honest. I guess the only point is to try and get his head in front again but that’s not a given with Benbatl and a weight penalty.

Connections are normally quite vocal about targets as well, so I’m leaning towards waiting for the confirmation which probably means I’ll lose the 4/1

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

I am a Kameko fan but I can’t see past Benbatl with him getting a pound from Kameko, I wished I grabbed the 4/1 with hills but settled for 3/1. With the amount of rain forecast I can see the going will be good, like last year when Benbatl won by 5L to king of Comedy. The connections have waited for the right going for the horse.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

King of Comedy ran badly there though and the others were well blow on ratings.

It seems Kameko is confirmed.

Balding told Sun Racing: “The plan’s to go to Newmarket as we need to get a run in before Champions Day.

“He had a hard race at York, but he’s back to his best now at home.

“He’s back to a mile now and that’s a positive I think. His Guineas win was clearly his standout effort and his Sussex Stakes run was probably next best.

“We were running out of places to go but this race works well and while he has to carry a penalty against some smart horses, we’re hopeful.”

Kameko 7/2

Participant
    • Total Posts 16438

Being a great Meydan racing/Godolphin fan I have to go with Benbatl especially with Frankie on board but wouldn’t rule out Zakouski 14/1 who at 2 years younger and having put in some fast times when winning his 2 races at Meydan this year could be danger.

Benbatl – Win 5/2
    Zakouski 14/1 – EW

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    kris_kin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 82

Looks an interesting little race this. I am a Benbatl fan but Regal Reality at 11/1 looks a decent E/W bet.

He looked good at Salisbury on penultimate start over 1m on GF and can forgive his last run on soft.

With 1m on GF again he can go well for Sir Michael at a decent price.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

I’d be really keen with Regal Reality on GF also KrisKin but I don’t think it will be that fast by friday. He’s yet to really prove he can run on anything slower than GF at a high standard and it’s a hot race with the front 2 in the market. If Newmarket misses much of the rain I’ll join you EW though maybe with a forecast play with Kameko also

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

I’ve decided to sit this one out. Kameko was always likely to turn up here i thought given the timeframe for Ascot + how he’s performed recently. However, as a 4-1 or 7-2 shot, i can’t see him shortening to a price that is worth the risk given it’s still antepost + the opposition.

Probably win now, but sure! :good:

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/38/newmarket/2020-09-25/765164/

8 runners declared. Hills go 9/4 Benbatl and 5/2 Kameko. Had a small bet on Kameko as well to cover Banbatl if Kameko turns him over @3.23/1. Dettori is on Benbatl.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6595

Really looking forward to this one

Got the big two and an unknown like tilsit

Who clearly has stacks of raw ability, be interesting to see if he can take another big step forward

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

17mm of rain in the last 24 hours! What is it with Newmarket this year, getting battered with rain. More forecast now for tomorrow morning also.

Makes this a very very difficult race to have confidence in. Neither Benbatl or Kameko will enjoy the ground conditions, potentially GS all over by the race. Regal Reality another that won’t appreciate the rain.

In fact looking at them, none except Top Rank really look like they’d appreciate some give. That Superior Mile Stakes race at Haydock, looked like an awful slow race, but Top Rank kept on and on and perhaps a strongly run mile at Newmarket with give in the ground is right up his street actually. Worth considering a saver.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Quietly happy at this stage i sat this one out- weather forecast i use suggests a fair wack of rain again tomorrow before the races.

Newmarket is good, g/s in places now. G/S does seem a reasonable shout Frenchy or even slightly worse.

Tilsit was pulled on g/s previously. Won’t suit either of the front 2, or as you say Regal Reality.

Duke of Hazzard doesn’t look the same, and the ground wouldn’t be ideal either.

Urban Icon the same, and probably not good enough.

Top Rank might have a good chance here? You say a strongly run race, is that sure to happen though!

I wouldn’t rule out Zabeel Prince here- looks a shadow of previous form so far this year. If he doesn’t improve he won’t win.
    Newmarket form is 21, the second ahead of Regal Reality. 3 wins on soft and 1 on g/s.

Mad, that he’d be good enough but maybe!?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7325

I can see the race falling apart unfotunately. Rain showers today and heavy rain Friday morning. No Benbatl, Kameko or Tilsit I expect, and maybe others.

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

It is worrying with the weather but we will see what happens. If the going softens up then I think top rank will win it if he runs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16438

As Mike says looks like it is going to be a washout on Friday. Along with those heavy downpours are 42mph blustery winds from the north east and there will be no escape on the Rowley Mile.

Today is sunny but cold but that forecast is grim news for all of us.
    What a shame because tomorrows card looked top class.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Looking at the Met Office forecast there will be little rain in the area between today and tomorrow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.