The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Racing

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 708 total)
  • Author
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 393

Everything seems to have to be turned into an emotional “story” nowadays; the presenting of racing is following much broader trends. If you can get them to cry a bit it’s even better! I agree it’s very wearying.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1935

Boils my piss Martlingford. Everyone has problems in life. Its not a “story”.

“What a remarkable heart wrenching story. The groom of Plumpton winner ‘Old Dobbin’ got binned off by her boyfriend for another (more attractive) stable girl, exactly 27.265 months today!”

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Quite possibly the most surreal race I have watched on mute was The Derby last year.

Appalling aftertiming here, but I had backed Serpentine both win only and each way at 33/1, though he was by no means the only horse I backed in the race as I basically wanted to take on both the 2,000 Guineas winner and English King so had backed three or four sure stayers on form and/or pedigree at long odds.

Anyway, not only is the sound silent but visually it’s an empty Epsom Downs, a kind of visual silence as well if you get my drift.

I ran the full gamut of emotions watching in isolated silence.

“He’s leading, this reminds me of Slip Anchor but he’s no Slip Anchor….still it’s a purposeful lead and I don’t think he’s just being a pacemaker….this is a strong pace but I don’t think it’s an insane pace….he’s really getting away from them, they’re allowing him one Hell of a lead here….he’s kicked for home, this looks unassailable….he’s getting a bit tired, but they’re not going to get to him….come on!”

With absolutely and literally no one to instruct you and give you their take on what’s occurring, you have no choice but to get off the fence and form your own entirely independent views on what’s happening in front of you.

It’s kinda isolating in some ways, some might even find it lonely, but it is gigantically satisfying when you get it right.

You don’t have anyone telling you what’s going on, but you don’t NEED anyone telling you what’s going on – IMO that’s a great feeling.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Nice post, Ian, your after-timing is acceptable in this case.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

Marlingford – “In fact when they also cover a second meeting it seems like they are struggling to fit everything in”.

Yes agree with all the presenters there chatting for chatting’s sake to justify them being there I can see that causes a problem. Too many mouths to slot in. Now, if there were just three or four there.

Fellwalker45
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Just read all these posts,and hardly a mention of the best off the lot,John Francome.brilliant,also more of Ruby and Kevin Blake.anyway raceing for me is not what it used to be,i loved it in the 50s,60s and 70s,seems over complicated these days.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

Yes totally agree Fellwalker45. Francome, Chapman one or two fairly ‘strong’ others that’s all it needs and a good commentator whose voice just blends in with the racing and not sounding like a scalded cat at the finish.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

“not sounding like a scalded cat at the finish.”

A commendable aspiration, but I fear it’s a job criterion that, if rigorously enforced, will produce a very short short-list.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

Yes ID, I think the commentators are pretty moderate at best. The better one(s) are still to be discovered.

simonnott
    Participant
    • Total Posts 309

I really enjoy that, he knows all the jockeys anyway so I doubt it phases them, it’s an aspect of racing that most people never got to see.

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 725

I am amazed that the racing from Newmarket is not covered today. The Jockey Club was always on and other important races. It is disappointing when they have shown so much dross during the summer, those evening meetings especially.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3213

Crepello,

Is it possible you’re confusing the Listed race today, with the now defunct Grp 2 Jockey Club Cup that used to be run at Newmarket?

The Jockey Club Cup, a great traditional race title that reappears all over the racing world (even the USA has a Jockey Club Cup), was replaced by the 2M race at Ascot on Champions Day.

So instead of Jockey Club Cup, we have the Qipco British Champions Oh My God This Race Goes On For A Long Time Cup. But it is worth half a million quid, so that’s OK then.

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 725

I think I was confused…. but it is hard not to be. It was crazy to change Newmarket.

AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

Wasn’t it run at the Cesarewitch meeting mid October, rather than the Cambridgeshire meeting? Saying that, I’m still confused by the changes…and can’t remember which races have gone were.

This weekend in years gone by was Ascot’s 3 day festival, followed a week later by Newmarket, Longchamps, and Chepstow.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1730

If I recall correctly, the Ascot meeting was billed as a Festival of British Racing. The QE2 was the centrepiece, now pushed back to mid-October.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 708 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.