The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ID Cards

Home Forums Lounge ID Cards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Billy Liar aka Tony Blair was at it again yesterday lying through his big teeth about ID Cards this time. The fools are voting tonight at 10pm on wether we are going towards a watched nation or if we will remain a free and civilised country.

I’d vote NO .. what about you?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Am I the only one here who thinks that, if we’re to have ID cards, this is a very stupid and almost certainly very costly way of going about it?

There’s obviously going to be different biometrics systems and specifications across the world.

If we choose to be one of the pioneers, we could end up with the betamax of biometrics systems.

And that would mean that we’d not only have to pay for the first system we introduced, we’d have to pay to replace it.

Why not let some other country pay for the development and then implement whatever system is chosen as the international standard (after it’s been developed and all the problems ironed out)?

On another point, Charles Clarke’s claim that he’s going to cap the cost of an ID card is total nonsense.

If the cost goes over that, we’ll just have to pay it in taxes.

Whatever the cost of the cards, we’re going to pay every penny.

Yet, I don’t remember seeing that simple insight on tonight’s news.

Steve

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Dave Jay.

I thought Sir Ian had started the thread about Big Brother.:biggrin:

Still, if it does happen then it will stop terrorism, fraud and make our world a lot better place. HA HA OL.

Especially for the Russian counterfitters!

I vote NON .

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

No other country in the world is going in for biometric testing, nor will it.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Well the slime voted AYE .. last night, suprise, suprise.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6236

Imagine, after spending all the "dosh" the EC decide that all member countries must have an ID to their specifications and the UK will have to adapt to this format.

An utter waste of money and hopefully will bring that smarmy Blair down once and for all.

Also, no "IT" system is secure while there are dishonest people willing sell their information. There a lot crimes committed in this way that are just not not let out into the public domain.

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

In business there’s a massive risk and cost in developing new technology.

However, if you succeed and your technology is chosen as industry standard, there’s a massive upside.

For a government project like this, the downside cost and risk is still there, but I don’t see where the upside is.    

Personally, I don’t have a philosphical position on the idea of ID cards.

However, I do have a position on risking money unnecessarily. And that position is that it’s very stupid.

Our government (and most other governments) have a track record of failing at IT projects.

The smart thing if we’re going to have ID cards or something similar, would be to let some other governments fail at it until one finally succeeds.

Let their taxpayers pick up the tab and then we can use the technology without any of the development cost.  

Steve

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I did hear that one of the companies that may be involved in the ID card scheme is the same outfit responsible for the excellent computer system currently operated by the CSA.

I have some experience of government IT contracts and they usually follow the same pattern. Ministers with no experience of private industry sign contracts which contain no penalties for failure to deliver. Computer system crashes, or, as in the case of the Inland Revenue, the CSA (twice) and the Home Office, never get off the ground. The same IT companies then receive further payments to put right what they were paid to do in the first place.

What is the going rate for old rope these days?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Ministers with no experience of private industry sign contracts which contain no penalties for failure to deliver …. the same companies then receive further payments to put right what they were paid to do in the first place.

Obviously the same basic contract they use for IT projects is the same as the one for the building of the Scottish Paliament.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

They’re going to finger print, photograph and DNA the entire population .. one has to wonder to what end.

Ian, I would have an ID card if it meant that my children could continue to live in a world free of nosey spies.

That’s just the kind of hairpin I am .. :biggrin:

Dungheap
    • Total Posts 113

i believe they have asked Endemol to run it.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Obviously, any company getting involved in this business should be subjected to an outright boycott or all of their other services.<br>

(Edited by dave jay at 11:58 am on June 30, 2005)

Purple Patch
    • Total Posts 15

Call me simple (I’m sure someone will) but don’t we already have an ID card system – it’s called a passport. <br>I recently applied to renew mine and was faced with a barrage of questions etc. and a supplementary (voluntary) form asking for all sorts of details. On calling the Passport Office I was casually informed that this was just the Government wanting all sorts of details about me and my bank accounts and to throw it in the bin. Nice man, there should be more of them working in the civil service.<br>As for the Government’s record on computer systems, can anyone tell me if the traffic control system down south ever got up and running ?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

:biggrin:  @ Air Traffic Control ..

The government have suddenly realised that there are 430,000 odd illegal immigrants living in Britain .. when they turn up to get scanned/photographed/put on computer .. they’ve ‘ad it.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 777

They have as much chance of getting these 430,000 illegal immigrants turning up to get their details recorded as they do of getting me to do the same.

I will never submit to this indignity & they can do what they bloody well like to me.

I was born a free man & intend to remain so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.