The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eurovision

Home Forums Lounge Eurovision

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2473

Well that’s that ….

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3988

It’s all over – the certainty of the century has ultimately prevailed….after a scare or two along the way!

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1213

indeed it has, if only one of you’d leant me that million we’d be rich rodney!

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2473

Ukraine could have sang ba ba black sheep and still won , well done Sam , did UK proud

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10078

Congrats to all that had a lot more sense than me :good:

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 874

Second to a racing certainty is surely a moral victory. He did well to beat off the competition from Spain and Sweden.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 790

Thought the UK would do well, and deservedly so.

Ironic that Ukraine often enters very good songs, but has won it on a sympathy vote with one of its weakest entries. But cannot begrudge the victory at all.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

“Put the phone down grandad, you can’t vote yet’ was line of the night from Norton after the somewhat steamy Spain performance.”

Fair play to Norton. Even Mr Wogan would have struggled to think up a better line than that one.

I had not watched it for years. Could have done without some of the excruciating banter between the hosts but by and large it was a good show. Even though I cannot help feeling nostalgic about the days of Wogan’s commentary, the scores being read down crackling phone lines and a mechanical scoreboard which usually went wrong at some point.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2473

My fav line was when the hosts where using hand gestures and Norton replied ” I’m using hand gestures ” ….” Can u see ” lol

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

“Jesus h there dragging this out”

You’re telling me. I actually nodded off and woke up in between them announcing the country and the public score at one point.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3988

“indeed it has, if only one of you’d leant me that million we’d be rich rodney!”

And we’d have had heart attacks when the UK briefly went favourite!

You’re already rich, Ben, your postings exude a perpetual wealth of happiness and positivity, sir.

Last night was a Eurovision forum blast, IMO.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

At least we have now put to rest the idea that the UK cannot win the contest.

The reason we have done badly in recent years is because we have entered rubbish songs with poor performers.

Once we selected a singer with a bit of charisma and a half decent song, it was a very different result. He might have won it in a normal year.

Perhaps more surprising than the UK’s Eurovision woes is the performance of France and Spain. The former has not won it for 46 years, the latter for 52! Incredible for two of the largest, most culturally influential countries in Europe and with a rich tradition of song.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3988

I would love to agree, but might it not be because the War has overshadowed Brexit?

When this War hopefully ends, might the EU countries not regain their focus on how the UK doesn’t apparently want to be part of it?

Every year it seems to me that music aficionados are in denial about how big a part politics plays in Eurovision voting, but the contest is hugely influenced by it.

Ukraine winning is the starkest example anyone will ever see.

Usually, it’s less in your face, but still there lurking beneath the surface.

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10078

HDLG….”If there was a vote on outfits id give Spain 1 …then 12 points”

I was too out of it last night to appreciate that one HDLG :yes:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3262

I am not denying political voting and regional bias plays a part but a lot of our songs have been terrible and have not deserved to win.

One year we had an X factor reject singing a song Pete Waterman had fished out of his bin. Another year we had a has-been in Englebert Humperdinck. He was really going to appeal to the kids!

And who could forget this one? On second thoughts, I would rather forget it:

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 790

Ian, I still think the influence of politics in Eurovision is overstated. Aside from last night’s winner, for which exceptional circumstances apply, which other winners won due to politics rather than musical merit?

The UK’s performance last night showed that good songs and performers can rise above the political aspects.

TheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1706

Impossible to prove your hypothesis Ian since we’ve sent no good songs since Brexit (2017 might have reached the lofty heights of mediocre, but it was a ballad that did badly with the public). The politics of Eurovision is overplayed, especially by British audiences. Reality is if Israel can win Eurovision then there’s absolutely no excuse why we can’t. There is politics lurking underneath (Romania/Moldova, Cyprus/Greece) but bad songs struggle and the better entries almost invariably rise to the top.

Having said that, Ukraine did get a major sympathy vote from the public and Eastern European juries. This will be something of a one-off (hopefully).

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.