The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Didn’t take him long!

Home Forums Horse Racing Didn’t take him long!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

<br>

(Edited by Galejade at 10:35 pm on June 8, 2007)

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

<br>Sorry post wasn’t worth one time let alone 3! – broadband dropping in/out

(Edited by Galejade at 10:48 pm on June 8, 2007)

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

:biggrin:

and i was bothered by my double post – time for some defragging corm, the site is going slower than a horse being stopped

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from sberry on 10:15 pm on June 8, 2007[br]:biggrin:

and i was bothered by my double post – time for some defragging corm, the site is going slower than a horse being stopped<br>

And I thought some virus was after sneeking into my hard drive.

"you should defragment this volume"

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Apart from Bosra Sham Fallon does not appear to make many mistakes and is obviously a very very good jockey but can anyone recall a race that he seems to have nicked?

Yeats in the Coronation Cup?

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

Yep, good call Gareth, Fallon quickened off a very slow pace beating Alkaasad who subsequently was rated higher over 12f by TF at least

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Galejade, yes our racing media always heap too much credit onto the jockeys.  The horses win the races and jockeys are the drivers.

Fallon should be warned off for life IMO.  He may be a good rider but some of his habits and dodgy associates from the past are still present.

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

The Coronation Cup is the exception which proves the rule.Pace is falsely attributed to be "judged " in Dettori’s case when its to do with how easily the horse is travelling.What seperates him from Mcevoy for example is the initiative he shows to burn the energy left,plus being able to pull the whip through,competent with both hands,and the ability to open his knees and press down his chest staying very compact in a finish.Fallon is old school,dependent on others to make the running,rides long,sticks to the inside and careless in terms of keeping his mount straight in a finish and testament to the trueism that perserverence is worth a great deal more than talent.<br> The suggestion that a jockey is only as good as the horse might apply when all the human participants are of a like standard,but in any given race they are more than 50% of the equation.I might not like that fact either but reality is healthier than delusion.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

In Fallons case may I suggest that perseverance IS the talent.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Of the two people you mentioned, neither has (to my knowledge) been accused of corruption

Of course emphasis should be on accused…

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from beauzam on 8:52 am on June 9, 2007[br]The Coronation Cup is the exception which proves the rule.Pace is falsely attributed to be "judged " in Dettori’s case when its to do with how easily the horse is travelling.What seperates him from Mcevoy for example is the initiative he shows to burn the energy left,plus being able to pull the whip through,competent with both hands,and the ability to open his knees and press down his chest staying very compact in a finish.Fallon is old school,dependent on others to make the running,rides long,sticks to the inside and careless in terms of keeping his mount straight in a finish and testament to the trueism that perserverence is worth a great deal more than talent.<br> The suggestion that a jockey is only as good as the horse might apply when all the human participants are of a like standard,but in any given race they are more than 50% of the equation.I might not like that fact either but reality is healthier than delusion.<br>

Who rides Epsom better….Dettori or Fallon?  I would argue that it is most likely the latter.  Actually apart from a lot of big race days, Dettori can be quite dissapointing in my opinion and I personally dont rate him that highly cause I dont think he is that hungry for winners and it seems to show sometimes.

Not sure what exactly makes a great jockey though.  I suppose part of it must be the ability to ride different types of horses on different types of tracks.  Happy Valley to Saratoga to Chester…..

SHL

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

andyod, I’m in agreement with what you say.<br>sir harry,RP 5 year stats say that Dettori is 19% from 84 and Fallon is 23% from 73.Given Godolphins helplessness with young horses,at a guess they have put at least 11 horses under him on Derby day that could not win.I appreciate that statistics hide a great many crimes but superficially here they support a case for saying that the difference is neglible.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

What makes a great jockey? I read once and I cannot recall exactly the jockey’s name. He was a contemporary of Willie Shoemaker.He said "I can ride a better finish than Willie, I can change my whip faster, I can judge the pace of a race better I can do everything better than Willie but HORSES RUN FASTER FOR WILLIE." Perhaps that is what makes a great jockey

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

Decision making;Fallon,as with Shoemaker  lags well  behind Dettori in terms of technique.Incidentally his ride on Horatio Nelson at Epsom was as good as I’ve seen from him on that basis, and he’s unlucky not to count that as a win.

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Quote: from beauzam on 11:20 am on June 8, 2007[br]It was shortsighted and disingenuous to criticise Murtagh’s ride on Eagle Mountain when for all anyone knows the horse may have been ridden to get the trip.<br>

<br>Here is his whole quote about Johnny Murtagh. Where is the criticism?

"I wouldn’t have wanted to have been back where Johnny [Murtagh] was early on in the Derby, but I don’t think he wanted to be there either. He got shuffled back. Johnny did the right thing then, he rode a lovely race from there to get up to get second nicely. Authorized is very good, but Eagle Mountain could give him a race if they meet again.â€ÂÂ

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.