The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Million

Home Forums Horse Racing Betfair Million

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>No, not another thread on will he win or will he fall over.

Just a thought about his potential rewards if he does win. The first prize for the Totesport Gold Cup amounts to around £250,000, but Kauto Star is also running for £1M bonus offered by Betfair.

I can’t think of any previous occasion when a horse has raced for a potential £1.25M in any race staged in Britain. Would it be the biggest amount ever paid out for winning a race in Britain?

If I were the sponsor of the Gold Cup, I reckon I’d be unhappy about this bonus gettting the publicity, as it inevitably will on the day, especially as it’s been provided by a rival.

AP

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5111

If the sponsorship was a ‘one off’ a la Agfa day at Sandown then I think the company stumping up the cash would be justified in feeling aggrieved but as the Tote sponsor left, right and centre I don’t think they’ll lose too much sleep over it though will no doubt be less than chuffed at their ‘big race’ being hijacked by an e*chan*e.

Wonder if Gary Wiltshire has a Betfair account?

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

When Sir Percy won the Derby the winners prize money was a cool £740,000 and eventual earnings from winning that one race from future stud fees as a Derby winner would exceed what Kauto Star would earn from winning the Gold Cup and the Betfair bonus.

With regard to the bonus on offer from Betfair this of course can also add to the hype and brand awareness.<br>This high jacking is nothing new even last week Betfred seemed to get just as much publicity as did the Tote from the lady winning the Scoop 6 and the bonus. Betfred drove her and her family to the track in a limo and wined and dined her family all day all they did was to place her bet on her behalf with the tote. <br>Everyone would know she placed the bet with Betfred and whilst this association gave them publicity is did not cost them a single penny!<br>Even if KS won the Gold Cup the £1 million liabilty facing Betfair could well be covered by insurance and only cost them something like £250,00 or so in an insurance premium.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Betfair’s insurance may well only cost them £250K to cover the £1m for this year but what about next year. If KS wins the Gold Cup, no insurance company would cover that possibility for next season. If the insurance premium is payable every year, then they would lose £250K each year that the £1m is not won. They would be better off stumping up the cash and sweat it out for any future seasons.

As regards Sir Percy’s stud earnings, his owners would be keeping thier fingers crossed that he doesn’t have any fertility problems like his Da!

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Indeed ap I’m sure that Totesport will be very unhappy and will be doing all they can to undermine the bonus publicity.

Another clever piece of marketing by betfair.

Vandas Choice
    • Total Posts 1

I play in lots of golf days and the hole in one prize is always a car or jeep, this is covered by insurance as with the Betfair Bonus. This is a great advertising tool for Betfair even more so now there is a potential winner in Kauto Star. What is lost here is the debate whether or not Kauto Star can go onwards and dominate the Jumps game in the way that Dessie and Best Mate did. Lest face it, should he stay upright he will walk the Gold Cup, but how good is he? The passage of time will tell!

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Hi Vandas Choice,anyone who mentions Best Mate in their first post is ok with me :cool:

Kauto Star will never be as good as above mentioned,imo,and will be a lay for me next month.Expect to see another ‘F’ in his form figures.Best Mate was spectacular over his fences.A joy and beauty to watch.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Best Mate was my all-time favourite but I do believe that Kauto Star has the potential to surpass what he acheived. Maybe he won’t win 3 Gold Cups as you need absolutely everything to fall right but as long as he stays sound it’s going to be a glorious career.

People think that he was a bit of a slow boat but if Best Mate had been trained as a 2-miler (but for Edredon Bleu he may well have been), I believe that he could have won a Tingle Creek as well.

You can’t argue with 3 Gold Cups but if he’d have been campaigned more boldly, I think he would have had a much better legacy than he does.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Hi Paul,I know that you love BM :)  ,but he was campaigned like he was for a reason.If he had been campaigned more boldly,as you suggest, he would not have won three Gold Cups=imho ;)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

How can a horse who never won a Gr1 over 16f be better than one who has won 2 over 16f and 2 over 24f? While not doubting BM’s greatness, to say that KS "will never be as good" seems a bit premature given what the horse has achieved so far.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Can KS jump under pressure on an undulating track?

BM could-and then some.Good luck to KS followers,i fear you shall need it next month.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

I’m so sorry as to have had an opinion :o

:laugh: I think the Shiraz must be kicking in.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

I will lay you 50!:cheesy:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

If Betfair have paid 250,000k in indemnity insurance premiums, then someone at the company needs to have a long look at themselves.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

When Betfair announced the £1 million pound bonus on Oct 12 2005 when Best Mate was in contention and the same races had to be won to scoop the million I was told the premium was £250,000 to insure against the liabilty. <br>Incidentally that year Betfair gave owner Jim Lewis a free bet of £5k @33/1 that Best Mate would win the £1 million bonus the winnings were destined to go to charity.<br>As far as I know there has been no free £5k bets given @33/1 this season.<br>Indidentally the winnings are divvied up with<br>75% going to the owner<br>10% to the trainer<br>10% to the jockey<br>5% to the stable staff

Intersted to know what Smithy would have quoted in  premiums to insure against this risk? To me it seems about right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.