The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baracouda

Home Forums Archive Topics Baracouda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Surprised a thread on this horse’s performance has’nt being posted up yet.Didnt win like a 1/3 shot did he?But I guess he can win by 20lenghts everytime.Not sure I liked him attitude but he still won definately some value about Bannow Bay now.<br>          Also good to see Sleeping Night running a good race again………………gives the Charile Hall form a bit of substance now.

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Aidan, could you possibly raise the point of Sleeping Night running well over on the other place, it would be interesting to see the reaction !!!

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Fair enough Escorial but surely Sleeping Night does boost the Sackvilles form somewhat.It is very difficult for chasers just to revert back to hurdles after a spell over fences and Sleeping Night aquitted himself very well.I see they intend to keep him for the Martell Cup at Aintree…………….track would be perfect for him and a few of the others might be that little bit tired after Cheltenham.<br>                  You say Baracouda would have won easy if he hadnt been given weight away…………the fact is he was giving weight away but was still so well fancied that he was 1/3 or 4/9 whatever price.Yes the horse had a few things go against him and he still won the race but before the race was ran I would have expected him to win with his head in his chest.<br>          What would worry me most of all about his run on Thurday was when he made his mistake.The jockey said it took him a long time to recover his balance and once he did he was always confident about winning.Kempton as we all know is a very flat and smooth track and for Baracouda to take so long to recover on that track does not bode well for this long striding gelding on fast ground on a track as undulating as Cheltenham.<br>                            He probably is the best horse going into the race but evens is a terrible price for a race which looks the strongest renewal in years.Was his run somewhat disappointing Escorial?Maybe not disappointing but it wasnt the performance that would make you want to run out and back the horse?<br>

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

I for one was happy to see Baracouda forced to battle for a victory for once and all things considered I was pretty impressed and fancy him strongly for the race now. He was giving weight away and does tend to idle in front a little but even then he was still going away right to the line.

Mary Reveley touted the idea of running Sleeping Night over hurdles before his first run due to what she saw as his unfavourable chase rating. The horse undoubtedly has a reasonable amountof class and Kates Charm is a good yardstick with some good staying victories in the form.

I rate this win as easily the best staying hurdle performance so far this season.

I can’t really pass accurate comment on Bannow Bay but his last win didn’t impress me and although I won’t be betting on the day I wouldn’t really want to lay Baracouda at evs.

Steve M
    • Total Posts 99

I thought it was a very professional victory. It looked to me liked they wanted to give him something to do and I wouldn’t get too excited by the proximity of the others (although I agree it is good to see the runner-up return to form).

He has actually hardened with the bookmakers, rather than relaxed (I think that only Chandler is now the only one still going evens).

However, the on course bookmakers will not have taken very much for him yet and he may be odds against on the day. This should not be taken as anything necessarily being wrong with him, but will be the first opportunity that many have had to take anything on him.

Unless you had taken a price around the time when I put up that Baracouda takes centre stage thread last year you will not have had much of a chance to get on. I would leave it now until the day.

Although I am on at bigger prices I will have no hesitation in taking evens on the day. I can’t honestly see anything getting near him.

The race at Kempton was a muddling pace and he ran it contrary to his strengths and still won quite easily. He cut them down very quickly when asked to do so and was steadied in front doing no more than holding them. There is plenty more to come.

Only Istabraq has recorded one higher rating (once) in recent years than the 176 rating for Baracouda. There is a 6-10lb gap to the next best in training at the moment.

Cheltenham will suit him down to the ground. Unlike Istabraq he is at the top of his form and doesn’t have to beat Istabraq anyway. Home and hosed.

<br>

dario
    • Total Posts 45

22/02/02 baracouda bts spendid 3L giving 8lbs having to be pushed out

03/11/01 boss doyle bts spendid 7L giving 8lbs cruising

so how was that the staying hurdle performance of the year jjimps

baracouda is good and consistent but gets outpaced and looks sketchy when leading. he’s not better than dsb was in his prime and that one got turned over at chelt

having said all that i dont much fancy bannow bay and jdc has annoyed me once too often now so i agree..he should win

i might just have a bit EW on boss doyle though cos he has run a couple of good races esp in england

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>the only thing i fancy to beat barracouda is  t douman

deanos beano  has no chance   but if he goes off like a rocket i just hope   douman  has the brain to cope with it and let himslef get to far behind  or panic and make his move to early

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

Unfortunately there are no staying hurdlers in england at teh moment that can test baracouda. Those he hasnt faced has lots of prove over 3m (brother joe). Until he beats liss a paorigh, limestone lad, or Bannow bay whose defeat of limestone lad at christmas is the best piece of staying hurdle form this year, baracouda has something to prove. I think Baracouda will win the stayers but he hasnt beaten anything of note just yet.

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

Dario

Form for me is not a numbers game if it was that easy there would be no such thing as betting on horse racing. For me Baracouda won a decent staying race not run to suit him very cosily maybe a few others were not too far behind but nothing else ever had a chance of winning and I felt Baracouda had plenty in hand.

Knocking his form is easy to do but the horse has run in all the top English staying hurdles of the last two years and won them and you can’t really ask more than that. Judgement day against the Irish challenge is not far away now.

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

Baracouda didn’t do much in front at Sandown last season. Same thing at Kempton the other day. Just did enough.

He’ll take a hell of a lot of beating at Cheltenham, although i’d rather look for something proven at the course (i don’t think he’s ever run at Cheltenham but i’m not 100% sure…brain’s a bit fuzzy at 10:00am!)

PR – T Doumen is seriously average a lot of the time. He’s certainly not as good as the top jockeys riding in Britain and Ireland. He’s on a good horse in Baracouda but he could still get him beaten…not one of my favourite jockeys and I wouldn’t want to EVER have him on a horse i owned/trained.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Personally I would want to oppose Barracouda big time at even money.Backing even money shots at Cheltenham is a way to the poorhouse.<br>Spendid ran a solid race on Friday and was running on nicely at the finish.Anzum ran a similar race in the Rendlesham before winning the Stayers.Liss a Paoraigh looks to be laid out for the race.Deanos would be interesting at 20s if AP rides him.

knavesmire
    • Total Posts 6

He’s a real class horse! He won friday’s race in a few strides and just idled once he had hit the front. The biggest dangers at cheltenham would appear to be fast ground or if Doumen hits the front too early and he starts wandering about up the hill!

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

What a load of crap the horse idles when he gets to the front!!!!! His last two races he has won taking it up before the last……..he didnt idle then.We know he is a better horse than what we saw on Thursday but its just kinda silly that people cant at all see any negative signs in his worst performance in a long time.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>jdc is a five year old  interestingly  5 year olds have not won the stayers for 30 years  and have not won the pertemps (express gold card) 3m2f hurdle race  either big ask for an incosistent horse  probably overrated as well.

its between bannow bay and barracouda  on form   barracouda  is the winner alright   the only negative  is the plonker douman lying to  far back  and giving the horse to much to do

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

If AP was riding this horse it would be a good bet at 1-2. The best thing for TD is that it should be hard to mess it up too badly at Cheltenham the pace will be strong and as long as he keeps Baracouda reasonably handy things should be pretty simple for the horse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.