The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baracouda

Home Forums Archive Topics Baracouda

Viewing 13 posts - 52 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Slippy Blue
    • Total Posts 43

Posted by me , "Great Days Racing" thread ,8.13 pm Mar 14th.

…."highlights for me, Like A Butterfly and Barracouda versus Bannow Bay "…..

Posted by Remittance Man, 1.44 pm Mar 15th

.." I`m with Slippy:the Supreme and the Stayers were highlights"..

Flagship, you`re not alone old bean.:biggrin:

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br> no matter where  bb kicked on he could not have won  if  anything he should have gone later and tried to catch an overconfident douman by surprise not saying that would have worked either.

funnily enough  i enjoyed  the nh chase won by ruth dibh  excellent piece of riding by mcnamara and also  frenchmans creek  was a good  win  (maybe similarities between this horse and rough quest)

beard
    • Total Posts 15

Sorry to disagree Prince,but had BB been kicked on turning for home and had he pinged the last Baracouda would not have got within 2 lengths.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

My opinion is that Baracouda could’ve taken Bannow Bay at anytime and is the better horse anyway!

Baracouda is a joy to watch!

beard
    • Total Posts 15

JTS-I agree Baracouda is a real star but on this occasion had Charlie Swan been more positive we would undoubtedly had a different result.

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Thats interesting suny because Ruby Walsh who rode in that race at Christmas said it was the fastest 3 mile race he ever rode in, in his life and that was on bad ground….

I would tend to value his view over yours,

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

Beard; the race being discussed is the stayers hurdle at Cheltenham where Baracouda beat Bannow Bay without breaking sweat. You seem to have it confused with some fantasy of your own where two horses battled to the line from 4f out !!

beard
    • Total Posts 15

jjimps-are you suggesting BB broke sweat?<br>Absolutely cantering going down to the last the big horse lost all momentum when making a hash off the last handing the initiative to his rival.Being such a big horse he was unable to get back into full stride and lost out to a worthy champion.Cant wait for the re-match!!!!

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

From today’s Irish Times:<br>Before that, however, there will a less cerebral event at the village green in Tallaght today.

At a Cheltenham preview night two weeks ago, the Paddy Power spokesman Paul Ryan dismissed Baracouda`s festival chances with the statement: "If Baracouda wins the Stayers` Hurdle, I will parade naked through the streets of Tallaght!"

Ryan has decided to live up to his pledge and the show is scheduled to begin at 11.00 this morning.

Baracouda has not been invited!

I think those who opposed Baracouda should be thankful that they only lost their money!<br>

Steve M
    • Total Posts 99

Great clip elderberry, only in Ireland eh?…

Jim and Prince have to be right. Baracouda had Bannow Bay beaten everywhere – even his trainer who thought BB couldn’t be beaten concedes this.

This is no poor reflection on BB who has run the race of his life to his fullest extent. It took a horse of Baracouda’s ability to bring this out of him. But Baracouda had him totally held coming from well off the pace and the further they went the less chance BB had of ever getting back at him.

If you are looking for peerless horses look no further than this one, I doubt that BB would or could ever beat him if you gave him 100 opportunities.

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

Paul Ryan didn’t quite live up to his word (typical bookmaker!).  He wore some sort of g-string with a pouch in the shape of a horse’s head.  I’d still prefer to lose my hard earned than do that though!

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

It’s reported that Baracouda will not run again this season.  That’s a pity as I would love to have seen him either taking on the speedier types in the Aintree hdl. or going to Punchestown for a rematch with BB with Limestone Lad in the field as well.  Guess we’ll have to wait until next season.  

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

BB was unlucky to come up against baracouda. he would ahve been a worthy stayers winner in any other generation that i can remember. Bannow bay will get the respect he desrves from all includeing the doubters as he has been seen to be a classy animal on british soil and not the victor of tin pot races in ireland. There isnt a whole pile between BB and baracouda. Good ground or better would hold any fears for BB.

Agree with escorial re limestone lad. probably not as good as over 20 furlongs – his free front running style is tough to keep up over the longer distance. He needs a slightly more restrained ride over 3 miles which doesnt play to his strengths. that said his presence was missed in the stayers, the two principles wouldnt have been playing cat and mouse with charlie not waiting for a lead off the bend.

Viewing 13 posts - 52 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.