The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baracouda

Home Forums Archive Topics Baracouda

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

I’m surprised the complete lack of understanding some people have about varying jockey styles….people are too used to the blood and thunder McCoy style.

Doumen always rides that way. Remember he rides horses for Peter O’Sullevan who doesn’t like his horses being whipped.I cannot believe he is being criticised for his ride. The jockey that ****** up in that race was Swan..

JT McNamara was praised for a genius ride on Rith Dubh when he didn’t use the whip yet Doumen gets some stick,

Those two that were out in front were top class ..and the second would have won in any other year, time will show that.

BB was in front far too early. If Limestone had have been in that race then he could have made it very interesting indeed ..as regards pace

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

I would like to apologise unreservedly for the quite outrageous and unintentional pun in the third paragraph of my last message basically saying Doumen gets a lot of stick for not using the whip ..

Apologies

Steve M
    • Total Posts 99

The amount of sour grapes about getting it wrong about this horse is unbelievable.

Bannow Bay ran the race of his life as the rating will bear out. His trainer confessed to believing he couldn’t be beaten. Yet Baracouda was ridden hands and heels to beat him – the whip was not used in the finish.

He remains probably the best staying hurdler I have seen.

I suspected that Baracouda would end up odds against, as unless you had backed him when I put that thread up about him before he raced for the first time this season (Baracouda takes centre stage – now vanished), you would not have been able to get on at anything much better than evens since last year.

Consequently he was the only horse in the race that bookmakers (especially the on-course bookmakers) hadn’t taken a penny for, whereas half of Ireland had plenty of opportunity to back Bannow Bay at a wide variety of prices.

Baracouda will continue to beat the opposition for the forseeable future.<br>

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

I don’t see why Doumen had to hold Baracouda up in last place and why he had to run up It Takes Time’s rear end.

Some of the best jockeys around ride on the American tracks. They are calm and their timing is brilliant. Eddie Delahoussaye is very good and Eibar Coa. Straying of the subject there…they’re flat jockeys.

Doumen didn’t really start getting at Bilboa till too late and she finished with a lot of speed.

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Suny, stop trying to wind me up please, it’s good to see despite the change of forum you are still an insufferable bore..

Bannow Bay has beaten Limestone before, and will do so again over 3 miles…he’d eat most of the other ones you’d mentioned for breakfast

In fact I would say the other day was one of the first times you’d ever seen him in action …

dario
    • Total Posts 45

esc,

the way the rest of the field closed in on ITT and telemoss suggests they did indeed weaken on the run-in

<br>personally i think bacchanals performance 2years ago was marginally better but thats just my opinion

baracouda is undeniably talented and yes he is the best there is around at the moment and that lucky for him cos he really doesnt look happy when he’s in front

i still maintain that JDCs win over the 2 mentioned was equal on merit but there’s something very wrong with that horse this season and it’ll be a long while till i trust it with any of my money again

Steve M
    • Total Posts 99

I agree with both Daniel and dario.

Bannow Bay is a staying hurdler of very high order who can only improve.

JDC is only a 5-y-o and is bound to be one for the future. 5-y-os as we should now know don’t win the Stayers hurdle. Even brilliant 5-y-o favourites in the race cannot manage it. The race is simply too demanding for a young horse.<br>

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

French bred five-year-olds have been placed but not won the Stayers’. JDC’s jockey Ricou probably won’t be on the horse again as the trainer strictly asked him not too be up with the early runners…so what did Jacques do? oops…

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

My first pot since returning from Cheltenham with my fingers seriously burned but just about surviving thanks to the terrific price Baracouda went off. I can hardly believe what I am reading here are some of you people bling. Bannow Bay ran a good race but Baracouda beat him without really trying this is one very very serious racehorse. Baracouda made ground from last place to first without any appearant effort whatsoever and won very cosily. TD certainly isn’t my cup of tea as a jockey but he won and the horse remains undefeated if anyone wants to keep standing me odds against this horse in hurdle races from 2.5 miles up please let me know !!!.

How about this for a thought Aintree Good Ground 2.5 miles Baracouda v Hors La Loi.

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

An on form Baracouda vs an on form Hors La Loi over 2.5m at Aintree…

BARACOUDA would have to be the winner there.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Previsible?????.

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

I know LUKE, I know

Are you wrong suny ??

In fairness mate, there’s no point in you even asking !! You know the answer

Deanos Beano still running in the Stayers Hurdle for your money ??

Steve M
    • Total Posts 99

As I say Baracouda’s nine length beating of Hor La Loi at Ascot this season makes particularly good reading now. Yes Baracouda is much superior to Bannow Bay. And yes Bannow Bay did run the race of his life, by about a stone.

johnny boy
    • Total Posts 30

deanos at his best is easily better than bb.<br>[/quote]

Hmmm. Maybe if the race was run at Newbury in the Autumn. <br>And Deano’s Beano was on a motorbike.

(Edited by johnny boy at 4:31 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Suny, where are your facts to back up this ??

I’m still waiting to hear why Limestone is better when Bannow has beaten him twice over three miles…

Guesswork suny, that’s all you go on

beard
    • Total Posts 15

Racing is a game of "IFS" but there can be no doubt that "IF" Charlie had kicked for home turning in he would have finished in front of Baracouda.He was travelling easily the best.<br>In addition "IF" Bannow Bay had jumped the last running there is every chance he would also have beaten Baracouda.<br>This would have to go down as one of Swans worst ever Cheltenham rides.

Flagship
    • Total Posts 9

Beard, I agree this would be the biggest ‘if’, however I <br>would disagree in that Baracouda won easily with Douman showboating…..my opinion is he would have also asked  Baracouda a little earlier, drawn alongside a tad later and still won cosily….this horse was impressive with a very cool ride (it pains me to say it!)

ps – Did anyone else have this as race of the Festival, with the Supreme a close second???

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.