The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who will finish 3rd?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Who will finish 3rd?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Ok, the Gold Cup is between Kauto Star and Denman, we know that and I don’t think anyone would disagree that one of these two will win, barring accidents of course.

But with so many doubts and rumours about the well being of the other horses in the race, is there a cracking each way bet lurking somewhere amongst the field?

I would say Exotic Dancer is nailed on for a place, but the rumours about him have put me right of and I’d be looking elsewhere. Neptunes Collogne may well miss the race and go to Aintree or Punchestown, while Kicking King has serious questions to answer in my opinion.

Personally I like the look of Knowhere at 40/1 each way. There are a lot of markets without KS and Denman so there might be better value there, but I’m just sticking in the e/w market.

Knowhere shouldn’t be inconvenienced by whatever the ground turns out to be, though good, or good to soft will be ideal. He stays and his form isn’t bad when you compare it to the horses likely to be battling for a place.

I know my argument isn’t convincing, but I like the look of this one.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think one of them will win but not that the other will definitely finish second.. Exotic Dancer is still rated 1lb better than Denman and is much better than the betting will have people believe.. The fitness is a worry but I think he’ll be there fit and ready.

Denmans beaten everything convincingly but he hasn’t run against Kauto, Exotic Dancer, Monets Garden or Racing Demon who are probably the other four best chasers in the UK (The Irish mob are poo at the minute… Sorry.. Mossbanks pretty good though)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

I agree with Aragorn that Denman isn’t guaranteed to beat Exotic Dancer let alone Kauto Strar but I will play along.

Jonjo won’t send ED unless he is 100% right as Sir RO has already said the horse comes before the race.

Taking it K and D are 1st and 2nd……..and Ed didn’t run I really like Racing Demon as a horse but he may not get the trip.

With Denman sure to increase the pace as soon as they get round the bend to take them on to the far side whatever 3rd is going to have to jump and stay every yard of the trip Neptune Collonges should give PN the first three in the gold cup without much problem. Pretty obvious selection :oops:

I really hope ED get’s there but one more hint of his back trouble and he would be unable to recover in time, I would rather see Kauto having some company when going after Denman……if he doesn’t make it I can’t see anything else getting with 20 lengths of the big 2 and Kauto coming home a long way ahead of Denman…….

Breath Of Fresh Ayr
    • Total Posts 82

I’ve always liked Racing Demon but just couldn’t let him carry any of my money on a left handed track.

Is Star De Mohaison going to run?

Jonny

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I agree with the OP that there is probably a cracking e/w bet lurking in there somewhere. I’ll give it a bit of thought once the declarations are made

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7825

Have only just read that Turpin Green is out of the race….it worries me that if[ and heaven forbid that it does] either Kauto Star or Denman make a mistake early on this race could be the biggest anti climax of all time..

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4492

Don’t care – just hope he’s beaten about 20 lengths!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

Your a sick boy David :lol: :lol:

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

Kauto Star ? :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

Probably "H" David is not a fan of the hype. I’m beginning to wonder myself now

You see PN has just said that Kauto will most likely got to Aintree after Cheltenham.

Of course what he is really saying is that he will beat Denman so easily he will still be in top form afterwards. :lol:

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

You see PN has just said that Kauto will most likely got to Aintree after Cheltenham.

Of course what he is really saying is that he will beat Denman so easily he will still be in top form afterwards. :lol:

… or more likely, a recovery mission. :wink: Oh, the very thought. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

I’m afraid I cannot help much with this, but, for some time now, I’ve been on Exotic Dancer to WIN.

Agreed, it doesn’t look likely, but that’s all to the good, imo.

On betfair forum, there was a copy of what Pumkinhead said at a preview meeting held in the west of England. he mentioned that Star horse.

Personally, I take little heed of what trainers say, but I would be delighted to see Jonjo and AP lift the Gold Cup.
    We can but dream – until the race is over.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I find this a sad thread. Not in a disrespectful way to you Mike, you understand. Before this furore regarding Exotic Dancer came out, this thread would have been entitled "who will finish 4th?", and no one would have cared as most (if not all) bookies won’t pay 4th place. IMO with proper, unhindered preparation ED wasn’t completely out of the equation for the win.

If ED turns up fresh I still think he’ll be placed, but resigned to a remote 3rd. Take him away and produce softish ground and I’d be interested in Halcon Genelardais off a presumably strong pace. He’ll outstay anything up the hill, and could plug on for the final place money if Denman (or anything else) makes this years’ renewal into a proper stamina test.

thejackal
    • Total Posts 50

What are peoples opinion of htis Afistfullofdolars?..shoud he be supplemented

A prominising novice no doubt but I find it hard to judge th eform of his last race. Snowy Morning was a little dissappointing and its hard to imagine that hedgehunter is as good as what he was.

Fist did win it well tho..

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

I find this a sad thread. Not in a disrespectful way to you Mike, you understand. Before this furore regarding Exotic Dancer came out, this thread would have been entitled "who will finish 4th?", and no one would have cared as most (if not all) bookies won’t pay 4th place. IMO with proper, unhindered preparation ED wasn’t completely out of the equation for the win.

If ED turns up fresh I still think he’ll be placed, but resigned to a remote 3rd. Take him away and produce softish ground and I’d be interested in Halcon Genelardais off a presumably strong pace. He’ll outstay anything up the hill, and could plug on for the final place money if Denman (or anything else) makes this years’ renewal into a proper stamina test.

Horse swam for one morning instead of walking Friggo was back cantering the next morning………hasn’t really missed any work unless something else has happened since Thursday evening….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.