The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Two furlong sprints anyone?

Home Forums Horse Racing Two furlong sprints anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Looking through the form for tomorrows racing I came across an interesting runner at Chester (3.35) called Steve’s Champ. This horse once ran at Ovrevoll in a three runner two furlong sprint.

I’ve never heard anything like this before has anyone else?

Anyone fancy regular two furlong sprinting and more to the point anyone fancy handicapping two furlong sprinters? lol :wink:

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

they have lots in america – quarter horse racing i believe its called, it’s a cowboy thing or something like that – brokeback racing i think they call it

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Apparently quarter horses are the fastest animals on earth over 3 furlongs.
    Im sure they have 4f races in Australia.
    Also, is it right they have 1m2f chases in Japan?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Looking through the form for tomorrows racing I came across an interesting runner at Chester (3.35) called Steve’s Champ. This horse once ran at Ovrevoll in a three runner two furlong sprint.

I’ve never heard anything like this before has anyone else?

Anyone fancy regular two furlong sprinting and more to the point anyone fancy handicapping two furlong sprinters? lol :wink:

I wouldn’t fancy a hold up horse in a 2f sprint would you :lol:

Mike

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

I definatley fancy this, perhaps my short runner horse will be able to last 2 Furlongs. Then again maybe he won’t!!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

"I wouldn’t fancy a hold up horse in a 2f sprint…"
    – Mike

Best not to book Jamie Spencer then. :P

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 735

Surely an interesting idea for a forward thinking racecourse. Quite a spectacle I’d imagine and I’m not sure there is much of a downside, excepting possible safety implications at courses with short pulling up distances (e.g. Epsom).

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Apparently quarter horses are the fastest animals on earth over 3 furlongs.

That comment reminded me of a story I read in bookmaker Francis Hyland’s book "Taken for a Ride"

In it he describes how, back in the early days when horse-racing was about match bets between owners, one man challenged a boastful horse-owner to a match – horse vs pig to be held over 60 yards. On the day, the pig was offered at up to 10/1 on the track. However, the pig owner had trained his animal by moving the pig sty to a grass field with the door facing a sixty yard grass track. Every day, he moved the trough a little further down the course until eventually it ended up 60 yards away. After a while, the pig learned to sprint like the devil straight from the door of the sty. Anyway, on the day of the race, the pig was left hungrier than usual and just before the white flag was raised, the owner rattled the bucket. This set the pig going mad which in turn unsettled the horse and jockey. Then when the trap door was pulled up, the pig set off like a scalded cat down the track while the jockey was still trying to calm the horse. By the time the horse got settled and into its stride it was too late – the pig won by a short head (or snout).

The book is full of great stories like this and is well worth purchasing. It contains the usual well known stories like Yellow Sam and Gay Future as well as a few other not-so-well-known stories (to me anyway). Our own Barry Dennis even gets a mention for his part in the Dagenham greyhound coup back in 1964.

One of my other favourites is the one at Naas in the early 1970s where a stewards enquiry was called involving a short-priced favourite. Anyway shortly after announcement came that there were no alterations to the placings and bookies paid out on the jolly. About 5 minutes later the official announcement came to say that the placings had been reversed. The theory is that a punter who had backed the favourite saw that the commentators box was empty so made his own announcement before collecting. A victimless crime!

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Quarter horse racing – I love it! I used to ride in them in Australia, great way to learn how to jump out of a barrier :shock:
    They have 4f sprints in Australia – Toowoomba QLD is the place for these if I remember correctly.
    They also have 2f trials at the Gold Coast for the 2YOs and over here we always 2f trials – sneaky ones they are too – you keep watching them and keep the clock going because a lot of them don’t pull up until they’ve gone 4f of 5f :lol:

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Lots of short distance racing all around the world. There are 4 1/2 f races in some European countries, including France and plenty in America and Australia.

Not spotted a Japanese jump race over as short as 10f, but they definitely exist over 13f.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

anyone see the re-run of the aussie national the other day ?

two miles and a bit and the fences looked like upended 1-inch paintbrushes – a fat hamster could’ve jumped them

they should stick to racing sprinters imo

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

One of Jack Berry’s sprinters challenged a quarter horse over 2f back in the early nineties. I think it was run at Redcar.

You can see Quarter horse racing on ATR Stateside whenever they show meets from New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, where the breed is very popular. It’s quite a spectacle live. You can also see Mule racing over the same trip. Which is interesting.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

anyone see the re-run of the aussie national the other day ? two miles and a bit and the fences looked like upended 1-inch paintbrushes – a fat hamster could’ve jumped them they should stick to racing sprinters imo

Coolllllllll :lol: my hamster Pooky is getting bored with her usual exercise ….

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

They have a number of them in the US early in the season in the 2yo races.

Also Calder stage the "Summit of Speed" and a day of extreme races (ie. short ones and long ones and going the "wrong way" around the track etc).

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

They have quite a few in the last 2-3 weeks of the Santa Anita meet in April.

Breeders’ Cup Sprint winner Squirtle Squirt is a graduate of these races. Not sure about other top class horses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.