The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tipster Nevison

Home Forums Horse Racing Tipster Nevison

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

I take times must be getting hard for Dave writing a book and now returning to tipping which even he admits to be rubbish at as single horses are not his style of betting. Mind you I never understood how he ever made it pay from his column he mostly backed almost every horse in a race plus multiple cock ups. Amusing reading though

disraelite
    • Total Posts 26

strange to see his tipster service back in action alright.

In his book, Nevison made a point (on several occasions) of ridiculing his time as a tipster for one of the big tipping lines.

Maybe he’s going into one of those bad patches he gets from time to time and needed the cash.

d.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’ve never understood how Nevison makes it pay either he must use a fortune on staking. Some return is going to be guaranteed but in the long run I don’t know how he copes with the sheer workload that must go into working out his finances never mind anything else.

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Flash
    You are me!

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Lol, better than you being me. :wink: Wouldn’t wish that on anyone lol.

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

From memory, as I read his book a while ago, I do believe he refers to a colleague who seems to do the mathematics for his plethora of bets. In fact he sounds like the brains of the operation.

Flash, where’s your cap. I assume it got blown off on that infamous Wednesday of Cheltenham week? That’s of course if you were brave enough to go out!!

LlanrumneyBoy

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

llanrumneyboy I only wear the cap at work. I have a trendy new hairdo so I thought I’d show it off lol. :wink:

Anyway the cap is a West Bromwich Albion one, if we lose to Pompey in the semi on Saturday its going in the bin. :cry:

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Anyone, anywhere have any idea what Marb is on about? lol

Alcohol? drugs? :?

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

llanrumneyboy I only wear the cap at work. I have a trendy new hairdo so I thought I’d show it off lol. :wink:

Anyway the cap is a West Bromwich Albion one, if we lose to Pompey in the semi on Saturday its going in the bin. :cry:

Flash,

Sorry to tell you young man that even if the Baggies get to the final, you will be walloped by the Bluebirds, and the cup will again leave England.

Regards,

LlanrumneyBoy

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Yeh Flash it was tears last time you were at Wembley….!

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

Flash,

Also, in what decade was the barnet fashionable?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I set the fashion son lol.

As for Wembley, you lot know how to instill confidence don’t ya? :roll:

This is our time.

Baaaaggggggggiiiiieeeeesssss!!!!!!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Nevison bases all his betting activity on the tissues he produces before each day’s racing. He doesn’t keep a record of his bets, nor, if you believe his book, does he keep records of his finances. His partner looks for the best prices.

The Baggies will do the promotion/FA Cup double this year, precisely seventy-seven years since they last did it. At least I hope they do, if only for the anguish it will cause in the custard-coloured part of the West Midlands.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

If you believe his column in The RFO, Nevison loses every week: he’s always either made a mistake in-running, laid a horse after thinking it looked bad in the paddock and then it’s won easily, backed a horse which has lost in exceptionally unfortunate circumstances, or done something else comically inept.

One of the problems of Nevison’s book was not of the book itself but rather what it revealed about his column: just how lightweight it is. When was the last time that he mentioned having a match bet or spread bet in his column? I can’t remember him ever doing so; yet his book is full of them.

I think that in the same way he needs to simplify his opinion about a race for TV, his column just gives the readers what they want (the tales of woe) while his wins (which are probably based on complicated formulas which compare his tissue to the available prices) are not mentioned because they would be dull; and nobody wants to read about someone winning anyway. I think he’s shrewder and more successful than his column suggests (in the longterm certainly).

The tipping line is probably just capitalising on the relative fame which the book has brought.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

(how do I delete double posts?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.