Tails from the blackcountry II

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Tails from the blackcountry II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Some here may know me from my time on RaceCaller where I posted for many years until it’s demise.While there I posted thoughts,ideas,opinions & tips as well as my research that led to my speciaity 5f & 6f sprints,highlight of this year Angel Alexander winning the Ayr Gold Cup a race I’ve done well in recently,Baron Bolt & Brando spring to mind.
    During RaceCaller days I concentrated on class three handicaps and higher however in my time away with a little more research I’ve managed to broaden my scope and now will happily take note of the lesser grades if a reasonable selection can be made.
    Hope this gives you a little insight into my mindset and what I hope I can achieve here.
    Today taking in a York sprint and siding with Music Society who looks to have conditions just about right with slight concerns being the fact this gelding is coming from stall one which I’m prepared to risk.While an overall record of 4 wins & 5 placed efforts from 19 runs to date looks fine if you just take his 5f runs with give underfoot it reads 2 wins & a 2nd with the only blip coming on good/firm.At around 15/2 looks worth taking a chance e/w.
    good luck to all

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16062

Welcome to TRF Kid.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

thank you Venture to Cognac,if memory serves me correctly the horse of that name was a fine hurdler & probably an even better chaser.
    I wish I’d posted last night now as the horse I’m putting forward has been smashed into and afraid nothing like the 10/3 on offer early doors,RaceBets are still @ 11/4 much bigger than any other bookie.Going to my local track Dunstall Park and although not to some peoples liking the a/w has grown on me with the improvement of the horses on show.In recent years Jack Hobbs & Toast of New York,both of which have run with credit on the international stage,ran at the course.However todays select is unlikey to hit those highs but possiblely better than his present rating from a stable which does better on the a/w and a good strike at at the course.Spirited Guest comfortably won over course & distance just 9 days ago,when also heavily punted,from a much better draw which would be my major concern.
    good luck to all

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16062

Yeah, he was my favourite horse growing up Kid, seems too long ago now though.

Good luck today.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7726

Is that what became The Sun, Racecaller? I used to tap into that all the time, along with the grandnationalguide. blog; miss both of them terribly.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

I don’t honestly know moehat.
    When RaceCaller closed a few days before Christmas 2017 the only information we were given by the mods was that whoever was behind the domain wanted to concentrate on B2B,(business to business) interests so public forums had to go!
    I did join OLBG for a short time but found their relentless pointing toward the betting angle of racing as not to my taste and left after a couple of months or so,hopefully I will find myself much more at home here.
    Yes I miss RaceCaller too …a lot of good people…advice & knowledge were lost with maybe some like me finding a new home?
    Know of any other RaceCaller refugees?

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

With an inspection called I feared the worst for Nottingham today,but happily it’s survived and think WRENTHORPE has decent chances of at least hitting the frame.Probably best over this trip,has won twice at the track with his only other visit here being a second placing.Along with a liking for give underfoot doubt things could be better although this gelding steps into unknown territory having never won off a rating this high.However there are positive signs with the gelding putting up lifetime best numbers when winning here two weeks ago which is supported by the 3rd & 4th both being beaten narrowly next time out,nk & nk,(btn over 3L & 7L by the selection).
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Nice to get my first winner under the belt & a better SP than I was expecting.
    I was originally just going to watch the feature 6f sprint at Dunstall Park tonight with three very interesting contenders.In racecard order Gabrial the Saint,Power Link & Dizzy G all of which look to have claims on their most recent performances.However since looking last night Dizzy G is now not running and Power Link shortened to absurd odds and Gabrial @ 14/1 with some bookmakers,have decided to risk an e/w bet on the exchanges on Gabrial the Saint who produced some good numbers last time.Although drawn widest of all he’s versatile as regards tactics and success at the trip isn’t as dependant on draw,in my view,as over 5f.The selections only other run on the a/w was over 7f and on seasonal bow so don’t believe one can write him off on this surface.Off now to watch RacingTV’s preview show of tomorrow’s Ascot showpiece.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Not too bad a start,with Music Society being the only one that’s disappointed me.
    Hope any who invested on Gabrial the Saint did so at the bigger prices available,14/1 @ time of posting 9/1 SP.
    While I will be watching Ascot’s high octane action I prefer handicaps,although not unhappy to bet in condition/group races if an opportunity presents itself,so the Catterick Dash is where my money will be going today.One thing I can’t get over is how such short price favourites are constantly punted offering no value imo with very little leeway for error in profitable investing.As you may have noticed I try to go for a margin of safety with bets allowing for the selection to at least hit the frame,hopefully win,making a profit but recovering most of the stake.With Moss Gill,a horse I think a lot of,a red hot favourite he’s passed over in favour of the equally progressive Tim Easterby trained Count D’orsay which was brought from Eire in late July and drawn on wrong side at York on probably unsuitable going has only missed picking up prize money once in five outings with present connections.Having put up some of his best numbers last time on a similar surface looks primed for another good run although he’s again not been blessed with the best of draws.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

While I’ve posted selections quite regularly here I must tell readers not to expect one every day or even most days.My operation’s based looking for what I consider suitable opportunities which at times may be up to a week or more apart and will occur less often as the turf season winds down.National Hunt just isn’t for me although I do try to find a selection for the big festivals but sadly only managed one last NH season Pentland Hills in the Triumph.However as Dunstall Park is my local track I’ve grown to like betting on the a/w supplemented by Meydam when available so the selections won’t be drying up completely.Today going to Pontefract where Autumn Flight has hit a rich vien of form since being fitted with blinkers and finding the underfoot conditions more to his liking.Although he stays 6f believe as the selection isn’t without speed today’s trip is probably best,so a little e/w punt looks in order.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

sorry but don’t have time for a write up but believe Amor Kethley,at my local track,is worth a little e/w interest.
    good luck to all
    Time to catch up and reflect on what’s been for one reason or another an eventful time for my selections this week
    While I loathe to criticize riders,not being privy to instructions given,Autumn Flight from a wide draw was ridden into the ground long before entering the straight in what was to my mind a stupid effort to be prominent giving the horse no chance to perform to his optimum.
    Today was unfotunate with Amor Kethley being knocked out of her stride when bumped as she came to challenge,such are the ups & downs of our game.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Going north to Doncaster for a horse that caught my eye when finishing well,producing career high numbers,from a break (nearly 3 months) over the minimum trip last month.Why do I think he needs this trip rather than 5f is simply because this colt was quite badly outpaced early on but finished so quick at the death from about 10l behind the leaders at half way was less than a length down at the line and catching the principals with every stride.To add weight to the argument his conquerors have gone on to achieve better things at a higher grade.So expecting Triggered to at least hit the frame and hopefully win to provide us with a nice little payday going into the weekend action.
    If any readers wish to comment and believe they can enhance or provide feedback on what’s here I’m only to happy for them to do so but please be positive.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

With the Breeders Cup in evidence this weekend meaning the turf season is ending and although most people’s attention will be turned to the national hunt mine will turn to the all weather fixtures.I know there’s a lot of resentment toward a/w racing with it being described in quite derogatory terms by some.While it was mainly poor fare in the early years it’s come a long way since and now offers a much more rewarding experience especially for those that take the time to understand it’s intrinic nature.But I digress from the reason for today’s post which concerns my earlier foray on the site and my Breeders Cup selections for Saturday in the turf & dirt sprints.In chronological order for the Turf (7.33) I favour Totally Boss who was just denied as he failed by a nose to catch the winner following a 14 month absence.Has done nothing wrong since with his most recent win probably his most impressive to date.Although not beating the cream of the crop in his races this gelding show’s plenty of early dash if required and can take whatever position is required and will be thereabouts at the business end.Later we have the Breeders Cup Sprint (9.36) which I believe Shancelot can play more than a bit part following a narrow defeat last time out by Omaha Beach who’s a hot favourite for the dirt mile.Previous to this just ran out of steam over further in another grade 1 contest.Before this ratted up a couple of wins by 6L & 12L the second a grade 2 contest demostrating this colt’s an above average performer.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

My apologies for not updating the thread during which time Show Stealer won at a very useful 9/1 @ Kempton on Wednesday (I know that’s a lot of use now).However my hope & intention is to relay all my future bets here without my political activities getting in the way.Have read this morning that Doncaster’s final meeting has been rained off so it’s a/w racing for me from now on until next spring when we all sigh a fresh breath of optimism.Apologies to NH fans.We go north to the newest of the a/w tracks for an interest in Jeffrey Harris e/w in their final race on the card who looks to have a fair chance of at least hitting the frame following his win here just a month ago.Being such a late foal,June,obviously did this gelding no favours constantly having to race against more mature rivals but the style & comfort of his victory gives every hope he will cope with the drop down to the minimum trip (won & placed at 5f when running at Edinburgh) and with a decent record in this grade plus the jockey’s allowance looks good to go.
    good luck to all

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2535

Nice one BCK, great price too :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.