St James Palace Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 St James Palace Stakes

This topic contains 40 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 2 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Feel so vindicated after that. As Phil Laak would say, “that was very satisfying!

Frustratingly Churchill didn’t run his race so I can’t exactly run around high-fiving everyone. Maybe it was the ground or maybe he left his race behind in the Irish Guineas.

Got the same feeling as you in a way. Looks like Lancaster Bombers Dewhurst run was not a fluke after all, and he has proved he is a proper Group 1 horse in his own right. :yahoo:

WD Barney backers, well deserved

Lancaster Bomber is still only a maiden winner. Proper Group 1 horses are not like that at all. He is in a desperately weak division, mopping up places. I thought that was one of the worst renewals of the St James’ Palace in an awful long time.

Rivet is going backwards and what Peace Envoy was doing in there I do not know. Thunder Snow is exposed and needs soft ground.

That race was seriously lacking in strength. Ribchester would eat the lot of them for breakfast, even going down the track like Alberto Tomba :whistle:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4322

Showing your age Steve with the Alberto Tomba quote LOL

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Showing your age Steve with the Alberto Tomba quote LOL

My Dad gave me that line Raymo. The only Alberto I knew was Alberto Balsam ;-)

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 645

I’m not so sure about Ribchester eating them for breakfast. I actually think it’s teh senior miling division that is a bit weak. I think the 3-y-o’s are OK and Barney Roy would be a serious rival for Ribchester in the Sussex, as would a back-on-song Churchill. Lots more to play out in that division over the season I think.

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 645

That last post was Cormack15 btw :yes:

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2964

Got the same feeling as you in a way. Looks like Lancaster Bombers Dewhurst run was not a fluke after all, and he has proved he is a proper Group 1 horse in his own right. :yahoo:

Lancaster Bomber is still only a maiden winner. Proper Group 1 horses are not like that at all. He is in a desperately weak division, mopping up places. I thought that was one of the worst renewals of the St James’ Palace in an awful long time.

Rivet is going backwards and what Peace Envoy was doing in there I do not know. Thunder Snow is exposed and needs soft ground.

That race was seriously lacking in strength. Ribchester would eat the lot of them for breakfast, even going down the track like Alberto Tomba :whistle:

[/quote]

Feel so vindicated after that. As Phil Laak would say, “that was very satisfying!

Frustratingly Churchill didn’t run his race so I can’t exactly run around high-fiving everyone. Maybe it was the ground or maybe he left his race behind in the Irish Guineas.

If the SJP was the worst in a long time. I think the Queen Anne was probably the worst in history, the runner up has never won even a listed race.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

If the SJP was the worst in a long time. I think the Queen Anne was probably the worst in history, the runner up has never won even a listed race.

May well be, that was part of the reason I did Ribchester at 7/2 before he won the Lockinge. Timeform described Ribchester as the best miler in Europe coming into today. He overcame a wide draw, slight interference from the pacemaker and hanging across the track to score readily.

You’re talking nonsense about Mutakayyef by the way, he won the Group 2 Summer Mile last year and a Listed Race before that. Check your facts

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

churchill doesn`t stay a well run mile, he needs pacemakers to set steady pace, not allowed in james palace stakes unlike 2000G

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

churchill doesn`t stay a well run mile, he needs pacemakers to set steady pace, not allowed in james palace stakes unlike 2000G

Churchill wouldn’t have won at 6 or 7 furlongs at Ascot, Troy. Didn’t travel as well and beaten some way out. Whatever it was that stopped him reproducing Guineas form, one thing’s for sure it was not stamina.

Most likely is he’d had two runs in fairly quick succession; a third run in 6 weeks. Or may be does not act on very firm ground; three course records on the day strongly suggests it was in reality firmer than the official “good-firm”.

value is everything

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2134

Ginger, I agree that Churchill didn’t run his race in the SJP but why do you think pacewreckers were used to hold up the 2000gns? Is it because of what Barney Roy and Eminent are like (long striding horses who would be dangerous if allowed to get rolling in a nice rhythm but perhaps lacking very rapid acceleration and manoeuverability) rather than any worry about Churchill’s staying power?

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

Ginger, I agree that Churchill didn’t run his race in the SJP but why do you think pacewreckers were used to hold up the 2000gns? Is it because of what Barney Roy and Eminent are like (long striding horses who would be dangerous if allowed to get rolling in a nice rhythm but perhaps lacking very rapid acceleration and manoeuverability) rather than any worry about Churchill’s staying power?

Pretty much, Greenasgrass. I think Coolmore looked at the Guineas line up and concluded their main rivals would all be suited by a truly run mile.

Al Wukair had been dropped out the back in his trial, so was always going to be in the wrong position in a comparitively slowly run affair.

Although Barney Roy had won the Greenham over 7f, he looked in trouble 2 out at Newbury and only came through once stamina came in to play. Looking as if a strongly run mile would be right up his street.

Eminent had won the Craven looking as if he needed at least the mile and would be suited by further.

Fourth best 8/1 shot Dream Castle, who although raced prominently in the Greenham appeared barely to stay 7 that day; so highly probable to be held up at a mile in order to settle him. Slow pace would both make it difficult for him to settle and be in a poor position to make up enough ground to win…

Next best rival was 33/1.

So all of Churchill’s main four rivals were likely to be best suited by a well run mile. Where as Churchill himself had been fairly impressive in winning a less than truly run Dewhurst. Made perfect sense for Coolmore to set a slowish pace in the Guineas.

value is everything
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.