St James Palace Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 St James Palace Stakes

This topic contains 40 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20469

Barney Roy seems set to turn up here next the 4/1 has long gone and he is 3’s tops now.
    The course will suit him and a better pace too if it pans out that way as he stays a strong mile. He’d be my pick for now with the slight uncertainty of Churchill turning up in the Derby or not, personally I think he will run here but the lads are having 10 days of getting their heads around it.
    Al Wukair wouldn’t be without a chance as he was another hindered by the running of the guineas, not sure if this is his target. Eminent is going Epsom so highly unlikely to be seen.
    Nothing much else inspires me in the betting other than Orderofthegarter at 20’s as if Churchill doesn’t run and he does he could be a lot shorter but even if he did I’d side with Barney Roy. I’m happy to pass on the 6/4 on Churchill with having him at 16’s to go the season undefeated.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8707

I’d like to see that character Thunder snow in this Nath,I’ve had a bit of the 20’s on the machine in more hope than anger but if he was to turn up he’d be a single figure price.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2435

Al Wukair – 5/1

Praying he runs here. Will be absolutely all over him. Small bet for now at 5s

Said on the Guineas thread how he was my pick and a fast run Guineas may suit. It was instead a slow Guineas and he still finished well. Turn of foot makes me think he could be a fantastic three year old. Reminds me of The Gurkha actually a bit.

Anyone know if this is a likely destination.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20469

Al Wakair holds an entry but will possibly run in the Prix du Jockey Club at Chantilly June 4 next according to Harry Herbert, that should give him enough time to run here after providing they go 10f back to the mile.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I’m surprised to see Al Wukair is being aimed at the French Derby to be honest.

On another note, Boynton is being aimed here (remember him?). You can get best priced 25/1.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Al Wukair has suffered a setback and will miss the Jockey Club and the St James Palace, this was reported on Thursday.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2435

Al Wukair has suffered a setback and will miss the Jockey Club and the St James Palace, this was reported on Thursday.

Just my luck

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 323

Hard to look past the 3 favs but I might throw a few pennies on Dream Castle @26

Is he aimed at this race or the jersey stakes?

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

I’d imagine he will be aimed at the Jersey, but even if he lines up here I’d be careful. John Ferguson recently spoke to Racing UK and he toyed with the idea of using a pacemaker to bring out the best in Barney Roy. Now whether that would be Top Score or Dream Castle is another question, but something to keep in mind.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1814

I’m really sweet on Barney Roy for this, have been nibbling away for a long time. Not sure how there is such a price differential between him and Churchill when the Guineas result could easily have been reversed in different circumstances. A stiffer mile and, hopefully, a stronger pace are both in Barney’s favour.

Slightly unnerved that Godolphin haven’t rammed in five pacemakers to make absolutely sure the Newmarket catastrophe isn’t repeated but hopefully good old Thunder Snow can play his part.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2435

With Al Wukair out, and I would’ve been all over him for this, I think I’ll just play the favourite in a few multis.

Not a Barney Roy fan personally. Don’t think Churchill is anywhere near some of the previous winners of this such as Kingman but he should be good enough to beat the Godolphin horse again.

He will have to do for the multis at 4/6.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8288

I’m with TAPK and Thunder Snow, No idea what happened in the States perhaps he got stung by a bee but don’t think we’ve even seen the best of him yet at and 20/1 was a great EW bet Gord :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

I am not betting in this race. I read somewhere that this is Churchill’s toughest race yet. As Jim Royle used to say, “My Arse”.

This is an awful renewal of the race. I am just not enthused, nor interested.

Churchill is touted as extraordinary but we all know the Ballydoyle hype by now. There just isn’t any opposition in a mediocre year.

I’d rather stuff my cash on Ribchester at Evens. Money lying in the street, waiting to be picked up.

Poorest Guineas in a long while I think.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 563

I really don’t get why anybody would back against Churchill. He wasn’t as race fit as barney Roy in the guineas but won it cosily. He’s then gone and slammed thunder snow in ground he didn’t enjoy and I’m sure will be cherry ripe for today. Churchill will enjoy the going and will be able to use his lovely stride. I wouldn’t mind barney Roy winning as it would give his dad a huge boost at stud. Coolmore can’t lose if barney Roy wins as excelebrations stud fee will rocket.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1814

Churchill didn’t win the Guineas ‘cosily’ though, did he? The visual impression was that a stronger pace and more luck in running for Barney Roy/Al Wukair might have produced a different result.

I don’t think race fitness is an issue for a yard like that in a race like the 2000 Guineas. Although it was the first race of Churchill’s season, it was also his most important. I can’t believe they would have left much to work on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.