St James Palace Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 St James Palace Stakes

This topic contains 40 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I think Barney will struggle in his first race on a right handed track with only a relatively short run-in in which to be able to lengthen his stride. Churchill will be sailing for home after Lancaster Bomber is manoeuvred out of the way for his stablemate and the race’ll be over. I respect both Barney Roy and Thunder Snow as they’re very, very good horses who’ll make their presence felt this year but I don’t think they can beat Churchill on Ascot’s round mile.

Churchill 4/6 for the champion of this classic generation to record 8 straight wins.

Kentucky Spring
    Kentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375

If Churchill, and no surprice to that, wins he sure does his name honour. His breeding is superior, a real future Champion Sire family.

Best Wishes
    Silk

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5936

I wasn’t going to have a bet in this, as if all previous form works out it should
    be Churchill’s to lose. Having said that, the horse that could show improvement
    and has certainly a mind of his own (that’s being kind to him) is THUNDER SNOW.
    There’s 8 horses going to post, and he’s 14/1 ??. I’m loathe to say any horse is money
    in the bank, but I can’t see him being out of the 1st 3. If Churchill isn’t right on
    the money today, TS has a serious chance.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

Churchill wins this easy!!
    But don’t be surprised if Lancaster Bomber runs a good race at 28/1 !!

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3158

Churchill wins this easy!!
    But don’t be surprised if Lancaster Bomber runs a good race at 28/1 !!

Missed the 28’s Raymo, but got some 25’s E/W. Hoping one does not drop now out at the last minute.

He must of been well backed LTO judging by the way his price came in, but got all the rain which wiped his chance out. The ground is going be perfect today and hopefully he is out for himself today.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

This should be very interesting tactically. Either way I feel Barney Roy is going to get the strong gallop he wants, but that certainly won’t bother Churchill either.

I’ve stuck a few quid on Rivet to finish in the front 3 at 3/1, in the hope that Lancaster Bomber and Thunder Snow will burn up more quickly than expected with the heat, allowing him to pick up the pieces.

Good luck all this should be a cracker.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

Churchill has the best chance, but Barney Boy is much the best value.
    Done Thunder Snow too. Couldn’t get anyone to take an ew bet.

value is everything
    Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Well that was interesting tactically. Thunder Snow and the Bomber didn’t go on as expected and that left good ol Rivet to do the donkey work. They didn’t go much of a gallop at all, and Churchill showed no turn of foot in what turned into a sprint finish.

He clearly wasn’t at his best there, but take nothing away from Barney Roy – he is clearly a proper good horse.
    The mile division is suddenly blown wide open.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Pure dung from Churchill there. He looked ill at ease on that fast ground today.

That dog from the advert could have done better.

I doubt Richard Fahey is concerned about the 3YO crop.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Feel so vindicated after that. As Phil Laak would say, “that was very satisfying!

Frustratingly Churchill didn’t run his race so I can’t exactly run around high-fiving everyone. Maybe it was the ground or maybe he left his race behind in the Irish Guineas.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

Well that was interesting tactically. Thunder Snow and the Bomber didn’t go on as expected and that left good ol Rivet to do the donkey work. They didn’t go much of a gallop at all, and Churchill showed no turn of foot in what turned into a sprint finish.

He clearly wasn’t at his best there, but take nothing away from Barney Roy – he is clearly a proper good horse.
    The mile division is suddenly blown wide open.

Rivet is partly owned by the Coolmore boys, so he effectively set the pace for team Ballydoyle. Must say bit surprised they didn’t set a stronger pace. That said, made no difference, Churchill below form. Some horses go on good-firm but not firm.

value is everything
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3158

Feel so vindicated after that. As Phil Laak would say, “that was very satisfying!

Frustratingly Churchill didn’t run his race so I can’t exactly run around high-fiving everyone. Maybe it was the ground or maybe he left his race behind in the Irish Guineas.

Got the same feeling as you in a way. Looks like Lancaster Bombers Dewhurst run was not a fluke after all, and he has proved he is a proper Group 1 horse in his own right. :yahoo:

WD Barney backers, well deserved

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Barney has done well there as I still view him as a 10f horse, all his races he staying on strongly and they went no pace today and that was the worry as they tend to go slightly slower around the bend anyway. I’d step him up now, it looks like Ribchester will head to the Sussex next so being from the same ownership it maybe they are kept apart. Was there any feedback to where Barney goes next…..?

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

Disappointing from Churchill but well pleased with LB !!

Even though they seemed to go no pace Barney Roy still seemed to outstay them.

Well done the Barney faithful :good: :good:

Ghost of Rob V
    Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

I always felt that Barney Roy would get one back against Churchill. It brought back pleasant memories of when Toronado beat Dawn Approach :yahoo:

Churchill isn’t the superstar that some folk are making him out to be. He’s very good but not brilliant. Gleneagles MK2 IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.