ST James Palace Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2014 ST James Palace Stakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5567

NIGHT OF THUNDER 3/1 for me it is i think KINGMAN needs more give in ground and do not see being reversed.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20987

Depending on how the Irish Guineas goes today for Kingman that could be a good price Darren. Royal Ascot doesn’t take any prisoners and like the Curragh the stiff finish will show up any frailties in Kingman staying a mile, I think he does but better at 7f. I’m staying loyal to Toormore and have backed him each way at 14’s.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

They are considering pulling Kingman out today after Gosden walked the course.

War Commmand is also out.

I nearly backed Mustajeeb last week at 7/1 and he’s 5/1 now. How short will he be if Kingman comes out?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

IBRacingIBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

How could Gosden consider pulling Kingman out? Today’s ground was exactly what the horse wanted and that’s not aftertiming, everyone knew that surely?

I think that man over-thinks and over-worries.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Kingman is 5/4 for The St James’ Palace now. Normally you would expect to see the others in the field pushed out but those generous bookies keep Night Of Thunder at 3/1.

A bit ridiculous to my mind to see a horse nearly pulled out of a race due to ground concerns and then watch him hose up by 5 lengths. I should have had a bit of the 5/2 for him to win by more than a length and a half today and it was a bit galling to see him romp home after having been on him at 9/1 for Newmarket. Could be Canford Cliffs all over again for me after having him at 25/1 for Newmarket and then watch him come to the top AFTER the Guineas.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

My biggest concern for Kingman supporters would be team Hannon trying to mess the race up again. I assume Idea has been entered to try and make sure that doesn’t happen.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Did Fallon screw up the plans or was that the plan?

IBRacingIBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

It’s unlikely the ground will be on the soft side at Royal Ascot. Can anyone see Gosden pulling Kingman out due to the ground?

Participant
    • Total Posts 20987

No, maybe, yes….. :?

I’d hate to be batting with Gosden in the Cricket trying to pinch a quick single, you’d be run out for sure….. :lol:

I think the odds are about right but wouldn’t take evens at this moment in time on Kingman as what price would he be on the day if the ground was on the firm side? Probably not a lot different, yes he won very well at the Curragh but Night of Thunder was not in that race and the score between the two is 1-1 or 1-0 NOT over the mile and NOT with a line through Shifting Power would of been there of thereabouts again if they had met at the Curragh also worth noting that NOT lost the Greenham in what was his first run of the season, same as Kingman but Gosden was banging out the winners left, right and centre at the time and his horses were ahead of the rest.

IBRacingIBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I think you are right Nathan I wouldn’t want to be backing Kingman at the moment. The ground is likely to be fast so even if Gosden does run the horse Gosden is going to be fretting about and bookie’s are surely going to want to lay the horse on ground that his trainer states is unsuitable and against a horse that beat him in the Guineas.

He’s currently around even money, unless it rains the horse is sure to drift to around 6/4 at some point, maybe further.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Twelve left in the race now

Kingman

Night Of Thunder

Toormore

War Command

Muwaary

Mustajeeb

Outstrip

Yuften

Giovanni Boldini

Prince Of All

Michaelmas

Bow Creek

I had to laugh when I saw Karakontie at 14/1 for the race, as I had warned potential backers that the stable rarely ventures to these shores. Once again he’s a no show.

trendyrichtrendyrich
    Participant
    • Total Posts 617

14 of the last 15 winners had previously won a Group 1 or Group 2 race, this helps to reduce the field a ittle…

Kingman – G1
    Night Of Thunder – G1
    Outstrip – G1
    Toormore – G1
    War Command – G1

Muwaary – Cl 2 Hcp
    Mustajeeb – G3
    Yuften – Maiden
    Giovanni Boldini – Listed
    Prince Of All – Listed
    Michaelmas – Maiden
    Bow Creek – Listed

Also, the SP of the winner has been 9/1 or less for the last 20 runnings.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 389

What do people rate of Kingman’s chances?

I can only see the ground getting firmer, if you look at the constant sun forecast throughout the upcoming days.

I’m confident Kingman can reverse placings in the Guineas, having nothing to prove by already beating NOT in the Greenham.

I had £80 on Australia in the Derby at 6/4, so i’m tempted to put my £200 on at 11/10. The aim is to make £1000, so hopefully if Kingman wins, i could put all the winnings from that onto Treve in the POW.

Thanks,
    del_boy

Participant
    • Total Posts 20987

Plenty of money for War Command this morning, possibly each way thief’s off the back of the news Hannon may reroute Toormore to the French Prat race. :(

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

They had 15mm of rain at Ascot and the ground was changed to good-soft good in places. The forecast is for good weather so it should be good at least by raceday.

Initially I wanted to be with Night Of Thunder at 3/1 but Kingman was mightily impressive at The Curragh and I believe he will go off odds on if he lines up.

War Command makes no appeal to me at 5/1 with plenty to prove still. He may be an "each-way lock" to some people in Toormore’s absence but he’s poor value to my eyes. Kingman by three or more lengths for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.