Pot Luck 2

This topic contains 75 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  greenasgrass 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

My first “proper” DLAP thread ended in the red but I’m starting a clean slate for the new jumps season.
    My first contender- in this evening’s Killarney Mational- will be Edmond Kent’s mare Thanks for Teawho I liked the look of last year. Missed the 33s earlier (when the going was given as “soft” on RP and SL websites) but now says good, so I’m in. She is out of the handicap but Landers is decent enough pilot, mare gets her ground and should be fit enough, having been ready enough to send to the abandoned meeting at Cheltenham.

7.40 Killarney Thanks for Tea 25s 1pt ew

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

+4

Think would have been closer to the winner with a bolder ride but a good effort and I guess they have to follow instructions.

Some nice horses in the first at Punchestown tonight. I missed the better prices on Montalbano whilst watching video replays of his previous races so have done him win only at 12s. I think he was a touch unfortunate in his noncompletions. He’s not a bad jumper and I think will like this ground. Hope he is allowed to bowl along as he seems to like that.
    A horse I liked last summer, Supreme Vinnie is making his first start of the jumps season too, on ground he likes with a jockey who knows him. I think he’ll be outclassed and outpaced here but had to have a token place bet. I think he will win over fences later in the summer up in trip.

5.45 Punchestown
    Montalbano 1pt win @12s
    Supreme Vinne 0.5pt 7/2 place only
    B365

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

+4.75

Rats!!! Got those ones the wrong way round didn’t I!! I’d been watching him all last summer too, just didn’t think he would have the pace today.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

Rounded the total down hoping Easter Lily enjoys the good ground this afternoon

4.10 Navan Easter Lily 40-1 0.75 pt win various

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

Very encouraging start Grass, good luck

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

Thanks VtC, I haven’t had any bets lately but looking for some nice horses to follow for the Irish summer jumps.

Capital Force has halved in price for the beginners chase at Kilbeggan today. I took what’s left.
    He jumped neatly on first chase start, out of ground he doesn’t like, keeping company with the decent Bamako Moroviere most of the way till he was unlucky to get the 4th last all wrong and came down. Only other start over fences jumped too carefully and stickily after scaring himself with a very bad mistake.
    He’s had the winter to get over that and I hope will jump well as HdB’s horses usually do. Kagney and Hardback are decent and have the benefit of a run but CF was rated higher than either over hurdles, will like the ground and should get the trip fine looking at his breeding. I hope he can shape into a nice one to follow this summer.

Capital Force 7.55 Kilbeggan 7-2 1pt win

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

+3

Hmm. His jumping was OK, better than last time, but he seems to carry his head a bit high over a fence. Also didn’t get put under much pressure- but winner was good.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

Some good races at Kilbeggan tonight.
    I like Conrad Hastings‘ form from last summer. He didn’t travel very well in his past couple of races but down in lesser company, coming from a stable in form with good ground under his feet and Davy Russell on his back again, I hope he can get back to winning ways despite giving weight away.

8.30 Kilbeggan Conrad Hastings 5-1 1pt win

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

+2

Hey ho not too bad, Draycott Place is a game ‘un and just stayed a bit better balanced over the downhill fence and coming through the dogleg where he got away from my fellow, and has the toughness not to be put off by the “contact sport” nature the game has at times (nobody rode dangerously it’s just a bit of a scramble sometimes).

The novice chase was a right dinger. Robin des Foret a worthy winner but Balzac Turgot caught my eye… a lovely big galloping chaser. Again perhaps a bit lacking in balance through the awkward bits like the dogleg but in full flight he looks fantastic over a fence. Would love to see him on a more straightforward galloping course with big jumps!!

Handicap hurdle wise- pity Plinth didn’t do the business for jackh but I noticed he ran wide most of the way. Think Kilbeggan might be a track for one that can happily jostle its way forward through the pack.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1734

Yep GAG quite right on Plinth, he’ll be heading to Galway where he has a poor old record, however, his mark of 134 (could be dropped) is a fair bit lower than when he finished 8th last year. 134 will be ok for getting into the race as well…..probably not one to be confident of a good run at galway, but might surprise!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

I agree entirely, poor record would put me off at a track where course form is such a big deal, and where you need a horse that will get into the thick of it and duck and dive it’s way to the front…but yes the drop in weight is attractive…might go through old race videos to see if he wouldn’t barge into the mix and hold his posotion in the past or was he simply not asked to yesterday..could be that he peaked earlier last year and will only be brought up to the max in August this year? (Can you tell I’m talking myself into backing him?)

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1734

Just watched his 8th back last year….to begin with, he is impeded over the 1st, with a faller, relegating him to right at the back and being ridden. As always it pays to be prominent enough around Galway (not quite as prominent as the two setting the blistering pace) but with the front 3 all being a lot closer to the action throughout.

Plinth has spent most of the race close to Project Bluebook at the back, and really neither had a great positioning throughout….Watching it back, what a race Joey Sasa ran…..its a pity he ran True Self prettyc lose and got a rise, as off 138 again he’d of been interesting….

Considering some of Plinth’s earlier form last year, you could be right about them taking it easier with him this year…maybe building his fitness up in races…Its clear from the start of the race, Slevin is trying to get a better position that he did, and considering he didnt finish the worst, i’d imagine he’d have finished a little closer if he was mid division the whole way (ifs and buts ofc). He could be intersting off this mark to be honest…..

When will they get some Galway prices out do you know?

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

Jack, the prices don’t usually appear for the big Galway Races until the entries come out, which is usually the week before on the Tuesday, so I’d be looking at Tuesday 24th July.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2131

Summer Cup
    Stellar Notion 16s
    Toviere 33s

Both 1pt ew b365

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1734

VTC i am almost certain they come out a fair bit earlier than (provisional entries anyway)

I have a share in a mare that was in the entries last year and could back her earlier than the week before.

I see HRI are having a promotional day today so maybe it’s in anticipation of the entries coming soon…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.