The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pitiful tale of a horseplayer

Home Forums Horse Racing Pitiful tale of a horseplayer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

I was quite saddened to read this:

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/display.var … ay_out.php

Then I got to thinking is the easy availability of loans provided by Banks and CC companies an instrument for misery for some people. And is Internet gambling in general a "bad thing"? (Personally, in pre-Betfair times I would baulk at punting anything more than twenty quid in the Bookies — but, two years ago I lost £5,000 in the space of a few hours on the exchanges!!!). At least it was my own money and not a loan.

Anyway, I feel sorry for this unfortunate man and his grieving family re the article above. I trust there will be no  remarks regarding the co-incidence of his surname.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Yes it is a sad story.

Some things (drugs, gambling, alcohol etc) are addictive to some people while can be picked up and dropped at will by others.

What annoys me is that these stories are used to beat responsible gamblers about the head with and is the reason most of us tend to stay quiet about our hobby.

I’m looking to move job and you can’t put horse-racing on your CV because prospective employers automatically think it’s an addiction which will eventually become a problem.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

A sad tale indeed.

Addiction to gambling can be very debilitating and is a condition which is generally less well understood than other addictions (drink, drugs) and, consequently, sufferers and those around them can find it difficult to know where to turn.

I am sure many on the forum have known people whose gambling got out of control. It  can be a dark path, as is starkly illustrated by the story above.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from davidbrady on 10:55 pm on June 18, 2007[br]Yes it is a sad story.

Some things (drugs, gambling, alcohol etc) are addictive to some people while can be picked up and dropped at will by others.

What annoys me is that these stories are used to beat responsible gamblers about the head with and is the reason most of us tend to stay quiet about our hobby.

I’m looking to move job and you can’t put horse-racing on your CV because prospective employers automatically think it’s an addiction which will eventually become a problem.<br>

Interesting post, DB; aren’t responsible and gambling a contradiction in terms?<br>Also, if you are afraid to put horseracing on your CV, aren’t you really saying you think it wrong yourself?<br>Or am I becoming the next Gamble?

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

I always put racing on my CV along with darts, dominos, cribbage and most pub games. If people don’t like me the way I am, I don’t want to work for the narrow minded prigs.

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I think it’s a good idea to put niche hobbies down on CVs – there’s every chance the recruiter is a trainspotter in disguise.

I always looked very favourably on people who put down horse racing on their CVs.

Mind you, they nearly always turned out to be feckless idiots.

<br>

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I agree Purwell. Horse racing all over my CV.

Times must have changed though. I watched an episode of the seventies classic "Please Sir" last night.

In this one, John Alderton was endeavouring to teach the rudiments of mathematics to his delinquents using a Sandown Park racecard. The lesson culminated in a hefty class bet at the local bookies. Now THATS a school…:biggrin:

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

I think you lot are applying for the wrong positions!  If my CV didn’t have horseracing mentioned in big letters I would never find employment!

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2742

:old: change

There is many a life lost to the big habit.<br> The silent buried ones hear the winners<br> striding impatiently above them<br> shuffling their pocketed change<br> as they study the grass

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

Agreed Purwell, it’s all over mine.

Nice piece Gamble, whodunnit?

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

For me the gambling came first. Horse racing was only another vehicle for my growing habit. But over time I grew to love it as a sport. I watch more races now compared to when I was bordering on a problem. Between watching racing, reading about it, surfing the web and other sports intrests and ‘real life’ activities I don’t have time in the day for Poker, internet or otherwise, virtual racing or similar garbage.<br>My sympathies go out to that man and his family , "there but for the grace of god….".<br>There was a time, about 8yrs ago, money had no value to me unless it came out of a slot or poker machine. Standing at a crossroads, so to speak, looking at the signs I decide I had to stop before I couldn’t.<br>Now, thankfully, even the thought of sitting infront of a poker machine for 8hrs, like I used to, disgusts me.<br>Internet gambling goes hand in hand with credit cards etc. a potentially lethal cocktail.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.