Nothing Gained 6

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 6

This topic contains 145 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 3 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

With Royal Ascot about to kick off, time for me to start off my season.

Long old road from here To Punchestown, but really looking forward to it. A repeat of last season will do just fine, but not taking anything for granted, but hoping to keep the winning run going, as the last four seasons have been unreal.

A very quiet close season for me, and the least I’ve bet for some time. With that in mind, thought I’d go a day early, and get my hand in before the excitement of the week ahead.

Obviously not going mad on my first day, but there are a few I like the look of.

At Carlisle, and at a very big price, is Royal Shaheen. He’s way off the boil, but has course and distance form, not to mention being way below previous winning mark. Fellow outsider Showboating is also interesting.

I thought Zylan shaped with promise at Carlisle last time, and he looks fair at around 10’s at Catterick, while I think that Economic Crisis has plenty going for him later on the card at around 8’s.

At Windsor, Swinley and Grapevine both look solid. Probably too short for me, but happy to add them to the perms.

At Nottingham, I’ve no idea about the ground for Club Tropicana, but that 14’s looks worth the risk, while later on the card, I think Heron can go close at around 8’s.

Nice card at Kilbeggan, and half the fun will be watching the JP horses in the Beginners Chase, and trying to work out their future targets.

It’s rare that I’ll desert Draycott Place or Nearly Namad, but at around 9’s, in the 2030, I have to go with Mrs Lovett.

Talking of deserting old friends, I’m not wanting to bet King of Brega tonight, but he’ll not be 100% ruled out until late on. Smashing horse.

As I said, not going mad Day 1, but I just want to “dip my toe”

1530 Carlisle
    Royal Shaheen, Showboating
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£1

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

I’m still sorting out Royal Ascot bets, and I’ll leave them out the Antepost list, as I’ll cover the ones that make it, over the five days.

Not much else new from the Antepost bets at end of last season, other than cashing out Burrows Saint, though I’ve every intention of going in again on him later. In The King George, I’ve cashed out La Bague Au Roi, and laid off Cyrname for a profit.

Antepost Update

July Cup
    Pretty Pollyanna 33’s EW

King George
    Frodon 33’s EW

Champion Hurdle
    Fusil Raffles 50’s EW

Champion Chase
    Chacun Pour Soi 50’s EW
    Dynamite Dollars 50’s EW

RSA
    Dallas Des Pictons 33’s

JLT
    Dallas Des Pictons 33’s

Gold Cup
    Delta Work 25’s

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1882

Some very nice prices in there I suspect! :good:

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

I hope so Jack, but most of them a fair way off, but if a couple of them could make it, that would be great.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

Very happy with that start today.

Grapevine more than doubled in price, so was happy to add him at 7’s, and after Economic Crisis winning at 8’s, and the Each Way on Zylan at 14’s, couldn’t really argue.

Mrs Lovett was win only, but at least boosted the each way perms.

Although well beaten in the end, I’m not putting a line through Royal Shaheen. He’ll come again. Hopefully at a price.

Swinley went the same way as Grapevine, doubling in price, but he ended up the biggest disappointment of the lot.

No, scrap that. The biggest disappointment was not betting Plinth FFS.

Can’t complain though, and hopefully I can add to that before the weeks out.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2326

Plinth jumped very neatly didn’t he? I’ll back Ravenhill again when he goes back up to 3 miles.

Good luck with the thread, hope you have a good Ascot.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

It won’t be easy to add to that though, as I’m going in to the week blind. Royal Ascot is usually a comfortable losing week for me, but I’m hoping for a repeat of last year though, where a few races went my way, and losses were kept under control.

Win or lose though, it’s a fabulous weeks racing.

In The Queen Anne, I’ll stick with Beat The Bank. Should have been considerably closer in this last year, but for traffic problems. He doesn’t have much else going for him in G1’s, but I’m happy to get five places for him. He really does look unlikely to get his head in front though, so I’m happy to add Mushtashry at the 5’s. Slightly more sensible approach.

I was tempted to go with Well Of Wisdom
    Antepost in The Coventry, but ended up waiting. Hasn’t worked out too badly though, and happy with the 18’s four places.

I haven’t decided whether or not to have a go in The Kings Stand. Mabs Cross will be in the perms, so maybe a small win bet at the 8’s wouldn’t do any harm.

If any returns from the first races, I might have a small each way on Fox Champion, but definitely sitting it out just now.

I love the last two races, but I rarely get them right.

The Ascot Stakes is a proper puzzle, and could go with half of them, but The Cashel Man at 25’s, six Places is the selection. Great day for Keith Dalgleish, and that’s enough for me to have Mixboy as ew backup.

The Wolferton is a serious renewal, and I’ve rabbited on enough about Dolphin Vista in the past, so I’ll keep it brief with him. Everything screams “no” tomorrow, but he owes me nothing, and there’s no way I’m not topping up the 50’s to four places. Latrobe is also taken at 9’s, and if Master The World could make the 4 at 100’s, that would pay for the race. As I said though, serious renewal, and dangers everywhere.

Queen Anne
    Beat The Bank, Mushtashry
    70p Reverse Exacta

Wolferton
    Dolphin Vista, Latrobe, Master The World
    20p Combination Exactas and Trifectas

-£3.80

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

Thanks Grass, I’ll need it with this week.

Yeah, really impressed with Plinth tonight. My own fault for missing him. He might be an old favourite, but I didn’t fancy him as a chaser, and he was a really nice price earlier in the day. I’m determined to catch him at a price now.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3120

Good luck for the year ahead VTC :good:

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1882

VTC, Plinth was lethal and i thought the same afterwards after our Galway chat! Nice e/w with BTB!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

Thanks Jack, Beat The Bank is a smashing type, and nearly off to a proper flyer.

Thanks Botchy, much appreciated.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

Great start today from Beat The Bank. He was a decent bet for me, and if not for The Wolferton, would have been enough for a winning day.

Not complaining though, and he gave me a fair buzz, and hopefully not the last this week.

Run for my money from Mabs Cross, and Well Of Wisdom was a bit disappointing.

After Beat The Bank, I went with Fox Champion, and I laid off for free bet in running. I kept Mixboy to a smaller bet after The Cashel Man was a non runner, and he was pretty poor.

As mentioned though, those Beat The Bank profits were eaten up in The a Wolferton. Three horses who owe me nothing, and as much as the writing was on the wall for Dolphin beforehand, I really did like Latrobe, but I much prefer to get beat like that, with no excuses.

Highlight of Day 2 for me is The Hunt Cup, and delighted with the 25’s for Stylehunter, and I’ve added him to seven places, while the 40’s to six places for Chilean will do nicely as well.

Unusually for me, I’ll leave it at that. I’m completely undecided between Settle For Bay and Breden. I’m trying to keep things tight this week, so after going with a trio in The Wolferton, I’m not wanting four in this.

In The Queen Mary, it’s a bit of a loud one, but I’ll chance Kemble to five places. Currently 33’s, I’ll try to hit 40’s.

I’ve really liked Norway from day one, and I took the 9-2 for The Queens Vase, while in The Prince of Wales, Zabeel Prince has to improve, but I’m happy with 12’s Antepost.

Royal Hunt Cup
    Stylehunter, Chilean
    £1 Reverse Exacta

-£5.80

TheKryptonFactor
    TheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 858

Big fan of Chilean tomorrow, VtC. Completely chucked in if anything like his best. Congrats on Beat The Bank, pity the Wolferton decimated those gains (Given I stuck a fiver on Dolphin Vista, I might have been to blame).

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

Thanks Krypton, BTB would have been a big hit, agonising.

Yeah, fingers crossed with Chilean, he must have a chance. With Kemble a non runner, I’ve added a wee bit more to get the seven places with him too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Dolphin Vista (though it’s always nice to have a scapegoat lol). Writing was on the wall even before final decs for him, and the rain beforehand hardly budged the market either. Keep him in mind though for the Autumn, and he might be interesting for something like The Balmoral.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15600

So happy with Stylehunter today, yet so peed off at the same time. Left behind at the start, no clear run at a crucial stage, yet still got third.

My biggest bet of the meeting by far, so more than happy with the place, but it would have been some win for me.

Norway ran a strange race, don’t know what to make of it, while Zabeel Prince came up well short.

Stylehunter made a big difference to my week, always good when one of the main bets pay off, but just the two bets tomorrow.

In The Britannia I’m with Numerian, both 33’s Antepost, and also further each way to max places. This horse just caught my eye during the winter at Dundalk, the only track he’s ran on. Turf debut, and although a big ask on paper, I just reckon I seen something. Maybe nothing, but Donnacha gets the leg up, and I’m hopeful.

In The King George V I’ve went with Kaloor. Blew me away at Salisbury last year, but after giving him the benefit of the doubt at Newbury, subsequent runs, albeit where he was highly tried, were pretty brutal. Still, Handicap debut here, jockey takes a few pounds off, so a glimmer of hope. Took 40’s Antepost, and I’ve topped up the each way to maximum places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.