Lil Rockerfeller

Home Forums Horse Racing Lil Rockerfeller

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1236

Very much surprised to see him running at such a venue at this time of the year. Never thought of him as a summer jumper and the Southwell fences are rather tricky and unforgiving sometimes.

Maybe it’s just a starting point for the season to determine whether he’ll stay chasing or not.
    Good luck to him and to anyone backing him at around 15/8!

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1236

Very poor performance. Made too many mistakes and luckily got away with that. In the end he finished 5 lengths behind a horse that was 6 lbs out of the handicap.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1034

I was also disappointed to see him running at this meeting

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26229

Lil Rockerfeller ran at Goodwood – a race that he’d won eaily last year – so no doubt effective in the Summer months. Therefore, after he’s been got fit for Goodwood why doesn’t it make sense to do something over obstacles this Summer? Goes well on good ground too.

If it’s good enough for Wicklow Brave, why not Lil Rockerfeller? :unsure:

Ban all Summer Jumping?

value is everything

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Yet another strange one from you, RubyLight.

I was trading Southwell today and could see the logic from connections. Lil Rockerfeller has always been a moody so-and-so but looks increasingly ungenuine now. One could see the “not today” signs with the blinkers left off and the dour stayer running at 2m 4f on a tight track but it was still a valid bit of education for the horse. There was a very nice prize on offer if his backclass saw him through, too.

Lil Rockerfeller is going to be difficult to place under both codes now, especially with his attitude degenerating. His only real avenue is to improve his fencing and exploit the lower chase mark. I fear he’ll never be fluent (or willing) enough to do it…but the test of a tight 2m 4f with stiffish fences in a small field is probably just what this slow learner needs if he is ever going to get the hang of it. Reportedly Bryony Frost is also set to become his regular rider over jumps so it was an important ‘getting to know you’ day for the pair. I’d rather see him have a few more of these than doing a somersault in a Ladbrokes Trophy or something like that.

Lovely result for a Sunday by the way – always a great situation on our side of the fence when you’ve got valid reason to oppose a ‘people’s horse’. You know you won’t struggle to lay it.

help fight the decline of The Racing Forum - send personal message for details

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1236

What were you trading LS? Peanuts or what?

You know that I have my sympathies for guys like Cormack or Tonge and you’re always on a opposite opinion.
    Of course, if you’re a trader you won’t believe your luck when you find enough inexperienced people that are willing to back a non-chaser at around 7/4.

Glad you had such a successful day.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2328

Being a staying hurdler who likes quick ground, I’m surprised he never went for the Iroquois or American Grand National.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 69

I wouldnt call him ungenuine , to be honest he,s one of my fav,s , I backed him e.w for the world hurdle he was placed in , however I’d be very wary backing him now , he,s had some hard races and they look like they’ve left there are , maybe a change of stable further down the line if the lights stay dimmed ….I love fr runners ..grey abbey etc …go down on the shield

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26229

I too backed Lil at a massive price when placed in the Stayers Hurdle and is one of my favourite jumpers.

Horses have their own likes and dislikes. imo Lil Rockerfella is pretty genuine if getting his own way up front and/or a prominent position with a clear view of the front. Often finding plenty off the bridle in order to remain in front. However, he’s imo ungenuine if getting too far behind and particularly when surrounded. Over inadequate trips and/or with a contested lead he’s often not given a forceful enough ride or can’t get/keep that position. That’s imo sometimes connections fault and sometimes just a matter of too many rival prominent runners. Suspect Lil Rockerfalla is claustrophobic; if too far back in the field he’ll immediately be pushed along/under pressure and gives up. His jumping of fences is also of concern and contributes to the problem. Has fallen when in front (second fence) so can make a mistake ridden prominently, but imo better rounds of jumping (more consistent) have also come when leading/prominent throughout. If losing ground with a poor jump is more likely to lose position and then getting amongst rivals makes things worse – one mistake leading to another. Put off by seeing/hearing rivals jumping in front/around him. If able to remain infront those mistakes may well be fewer.

Fences are a worry and personally I’d like to see him returned to hurdles. However, might be one to look out for in all codes with a test of stamina – 3m over obstacles (with preferably forgiving fences), or 2m on flat – in races he can dominate/with no other prominent runners, . In all probability I’d oppose him over intermediate trips, particularly if others are likely to take him on.

value is everything
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.