The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lester Piggott

Home Forums Horse Racing Lester Piggott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

After B Scott’s column in the Post and the other letters, what does everyone think about the great man having his OBE restored?

A knighthood might be more fitting, but let’s take it step by step . . .

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Unfortunately tax evason is not a crime particlularly designed to draw one into the bosum of either the establishment or the general populus.

On his sporting achievements, of which I am among those who think he is one of the greatest British sportsmen that ever lived, he undoubtedly deserves a knighthood. However, on his character as a whole he has flaws which I’m afraid take the gloss away.

The galling fact is that there are those, every year, who are less deserving than he who get the nod for ‘other’ reasons.  <br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I have no doubts about his ability as a jockey but to describe him as a "sportsman" is stretching the meaning of that word.

Colin

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I don’t know about whether he should get his gong back but I understand that his former cellmate nominated him for ‘My Greatest Ride’ in the recent Racing Post feature.

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Goodness, the drollery . . .

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Dear me, David….:)

regards,

doyley

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

Definitely not.

There’s something deeply suspect and demeaning in being "honoured" for anything by the present regime.

Lester deserves better.

Has anyone checked with him ?

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

Spot on Wit.

In any case there’s only one honour worth more than a bean awarded in this decoration obsessed country: the Order of Merit.

Lester needs no superficial recognition. The admiration and general affection he still engenders in the racing community should be quite enough to warm the old man’s heart.

Great days they were.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

wit, couldn’t agree more. Lester certainly does deserve much better. He took the rap but others were involved.

seabird, do read Seabiscuit, pages 70-73. Just one condensed quote:<br>"To pilot a racehorse…is one of the most formidable feats in sport… extraordinary athleticism".<br>A study is detailed and conclusions were that pound for pound a jockey is probably the best overall athlete.<br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Your taking the word "sportsman" in the wrong way, Nor.

I was thinking more of the way that he ruthlessly went after other jockey’s rides and the way that he managed to get their connections to "jock off" them off so that he could get the ride.

Not what I would call "sporting" behaviour!!

Colin

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Your taking the word "sportsman" in the wrong way, Nor.

I was thinking more of the way that he ruthlessly went after other jockey’s rides and the way that he managed to get their connections to "jock off" them off so that he could get the ride.

Not what I would call "sporting" behaviour!!

Colin

BTW I have read "Seabiscuit" and a very good read it is.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Glad you explained that one, seabird. Some people think jockeys are mere pilots.<br>With regard to taking other jockeys’ rides, when owners realise a high profile jock is available and prepared to ride their horse, they think nothing of disposing with the original booking, even if this is just before the race. <br>Loyalty is a somewhat rare commodity in the racing world but, unfortunately, isn’t it the same in any business?

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Having read a number of books about Lester he’d probably prefer a couple of grand to the OBE…

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Quote: from Alderbrook on 10:40 pm on Jan. 7, 2007[br]Having read a number of books about Lester he’d probably prefer a couple of grand to the OBE…

<br>Is there a pension with an OBE?

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

without doubt, one of the best jockey’s ever, a master at work.<br>However, from snippets I read and gleamed over the years, not an overly likeable chap. As previously mentioned,  obsessed by money.<br>Also, I don’t think Charity entered his vocabulary.<br>Of course, the perception of his off handedness probably grew due to his speech impediment, which ain’t his fault. But I am quite sure he also used this slight disability to his advantage on many occasions.

I remember a story about him riding a horse for Hollinshead, I believe. It won unexpectedly, thanks to Lester, who, of course wanted paying!!<br>Reg was a new trainer, and a bit short of dosh at the time, of which he explained to Lester.

" I believe you are a Farmer, Reg " queried Lester.<br>Hollinshead nodded…..Lester duly left the course with a large sack of spuds in his boot!!

There are numerous, similar stories about the great man, which will undoubtedly be forthcoming in his obituary, in many years to come, hopefully.

(Edited by doyley at 12:13 pm on Jan. 8, 2007)

regards,

doyley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.