The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s Season 9

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Joni’s Poni’s Season 9

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

£50ew Imperium – 10-3 – Lingfield 3.50 – winner

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

hein bollowhein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 952

Well done Joni :yahoo:
    Your Frankel love paid off today :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

Thanks HB – looked in trouble for a second but knuckled down well. He’d drifted to a decent price.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

Well done with Imperium Joni I completely missed him today concentrating hard on Newmarket.
    :yahoo:

Looking forward to seeing Pinatubo tomorrow. :heart: Best of luck with your picks. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

Thanks Jac. Good to get an early winner. Best of luck to you today!

A fabulous few days of racing ahead of us and I can’t wait for the 1,000 Guineas tomorrow. But today is all about whether Pinatubo can confirm the brilliance he showed last season. I was a huge fan last year (how could you NOT be?!) but he certainly has questions to answer this year especially as the race comes a month later than it should have been. There was just a sense watching the Dewhurst that the gap between him and the others was closing and that gap could be closed further by now. Having missed all the decent prices I think he is worth taking on anyway. And where better to go than Ballydoyle? I think both Wichita and Arizona have decent chances providing they are ready first time (judging by Anthony VD yesterday there is a good chance they will be). Obviously they have plenty to find with the fav BUT the ground will be very different this time which will clearly suit them if their sire is anything to go by. They’ll do for me.

There is a fascinating race just before which could be a Derby pointer and where, again, there is a short-priced fav. Waldkonig could easily be the real deal; he has the perfect pedigree and he was seriously impressive first time out. BUT – that was not a good race and there is a lot of talk about his knee action which might be served better on softer ground. We’ll find out a lot today but I’ll take him on with a couple of unexposed but highly-regarded maidens. Plenty of winners have come out of the novice race in which Al Aasy and Formality finished a close-up 3rd and 5th and they both have classic-winning trainers who know a good horse when they see one and wouldn’t be running them in this if they didn’t think they were up to it. Al Aasy has long been touted as a potential good’un by William Haggas and has drifted to a nice price. Formality was only a length behind him at Newmarket but is almost four times his price today. Worth a little tickle..

Finally over at Newcastle I am a fan of Royal Line and think he will run a big race if he stays. He beat the fav by nearly 5 lengths when they tackled this trip at Ascot and I think he is decent value today.

£25ew Al Aasy – 15-2 – Newmarket 3.00 – loser
    £25ew Formality – 33-1 – Newmarket 3.00 – loser
    £25ew Arizona – 9-1 – Newmarket 2,000 Guineas – loser
    £25ew Wichita – 11-1 – Newmarket 2,000 Guineas – placed
    £25ew Royal Line – 6-1 – Newmarket 2,000 Guineas – loser
    £5ew Trebles
    £5ew Doubles

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

So we hit the post in the Guineas yesterday but otherwise my selections ran poorly. I was right to take on those two favourites – just picked the wrong ones to take them on with! Better luck expected today!

Today is all about Quadrilateral in the 1,000 Guineas. I have been looking forward to this race all winter and especially during this awful lockdown and I am confident she will do the business today especially now that they have had some rain and the ground is good. It was love at first sight with this filly and I said at the time of her maiden win that I think she could be the best Frankel filly we have seen. Nothing I have seen since has deterred me from that view and I think she will have a great season. All the reports are that she is has grown into her frame and is a bull. I remember people saying the same about her dad in between 2 and 3…. In fact she is the closest in style to her dad of all his progeny so far both in build and in terms of how she runs and I think she will actually be better over this mile than over the Oaks trip. I know a lot of people point to that flat spot she hit in the Fillies Mile but I put that down to the tacky ground and her inexperience running into the dip. She was also in behind horses and it was only when she saw daylight that she took off. I expect her to travel much better today on ground that she will like and I expect her to quicken clear in the manner of a top-class filly.

If anything can beat her then I think it will be Love who is bred to be better over further but who has only a length to find and is certainly better on this firmer ground. I don’t rate the chances of Milisle or Raffle Prize as I don’t think they’ll stay and the rest have huge amounts to make up on the market leaders.

Here are my other bets elsewhere on what should be a fantastic day of racing the day!

£25 win First In Line – 5-1 – Newmarket 1.50 – loser
    £25 win Snow Shower – 13-2 – Newmarket 3.00 – loser
    £25 win Queen Danaerys – 8-1 – Newmarket 3.00 – loser
    £50 win Sangarius – 5-2 – Haydock 2.40 – loser
    £50 win Space Blues – 11-4 – Haydock 3.15 – winner
    £1ew 5 fold with Quadrilateral
    £1 win Super Yankee the above

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

Best of luck with your bets today Joni :good: I”m with you on most of those and looking forward to seeing Sangarius and Elarqam at Haydock :heart: Jac

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

Thanks Jac. Great win from Love. An easy winner and must be hard to beat in the Oaks. Quadrilateral far too keen but didn’t run badly. Still think she’ll win more Group 1’s but today not her day.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

Lovely Love what a beauty she is. :heart:
    Nice one Joni.
    I got 11’s with the PP power up a few weeks back but lost my AP on Peaceful..perhaps she will win the Irish Guineas. :good:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

:good: Space Blues too :good:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

+£724.84

Thanks Jac and well done to you too! I just re-read my post on page 1 and it is a lot more prescient than my post on page 2! Hard to believe that such a consistent Group 1 wining daughter of Galileo and trained by Aidan O’ Brien was still double figures this time last week. Ryan did exactly as I suggested – kept it very simple on that nice strip of fresh ground down the centre. She is such an uncomplicated filly and she looked a million dollars in the paddock and has clearly improved. I thought 2 furlongs out that we might see a decent race between her and Quad but the the Frankel filly didn’t quicken as I thought she would and just stayed on. It may be that she was just too keen in the early stages and I am sure she will improve a lot for that but I can’t see her reversing the form with the winner. AOB is truly a master trainer and he wasn’t far off winning both the Guineas as he has done so many times before and Love will surely now take all the beating in the Oaks. Dare I say she could even be a triple crown filly….

Happy to start the season in profit and let’s hope we can build that up and bash those bookies once again! :good: :good: :good:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

Agreed Joni especially about Quadrilateral’s run she gave it her all.
    Love could well be a Triple Crown contender she’s already a winner in the looks department.
    I am also looking forward to seeing half sister Peaceful again.
    :heart: Jac

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

Just one bet today. I read Aiden O’Brien’s stable tour earlier this week and he was very sweet about a filly called Snowfall. His stable are in unstoppable form and this beautifully bred daughter of Deep Impact is being backed this morning.

£50 win Snowfall – 11-4 – Navan 1.00 loser

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22016

Snowfall looks a promising sort Joni

Do you think Bonne Idee will be running in the French Oaks and what do you think of her chances.?

Member since March 2008
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4191

£50 win Asbaagh – 6-4 – Wolv 4.45 loser

Bonne Idee runs on Saturday. Next step towards the French Oaks Nath. If she wins that she’ll definitely go. I like her a lot… :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.