The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 1,888 through 1,904 (of 2,296 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I’m also a Republican, as oft stated I don’t even watch ITV Racing any more but, when I watched the ITV 7 when Dunfermline won in 1977, the coverage given to the it being a Royal win was low key and unintrusive.

46 years on, I find myself reflecting that change is not always progress.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Must admit Chambers gave it a bit too much over the King. Not a Royalist myself but Charles and Camilla I think are good for the sport considering Charles all but rejected Royal Ascot when his mother was alive. Could have been worse it could be the loathsome Dianna but that is for a different thread.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

The Royal toadying today was embarrassing with Chamberlain being the main culprit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I was away from home, so I did have to watch ITV’s coverage today. I employed The Ian Davies Method, i.e. the sound was muted, which meant I did not hear Chamberlin or any of the others.

There did appear to be a lot of images of King Charles III. Even to someone broadly supportive of the principle of constitutional monarchy (despite no great regard for the current occupant of the throne), it did look a bit over the top. No doubt ITV thought it was a human interest angle.

Republicans can sneer as much as they like but I do believe the royal involvement in racing is an asset to the sport. I am pleased the current King has kept it going and does make a bit of effort to look interested despite obviously not being as much of an enthusiast for the sport as his mother was.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

As a Republican, I largely agree. ITV coverage was still sickeningly over the top though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Especially as they still managed to weave excessive references to Dettori’s “last ever classic ride” in at every opportunity.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Back to the Racing League:

“Reckon, as an ambassador for the sport, he (Kevin Blake) thinks he ought to support any efforts, regardless of how deluded, in the hope something worthwhile will come out of it.”

I expect that is the reason. But he must realise it is ridiculous that much of his team is not even based in Ireland. Apparently no Irish two year olds are allowed to run in the nurseries.

I get the argument about how it allows owners of modest horses to win decent prize money. It might even give a boost to betting turnover, although personally I find most of the races far too competitive and unappealing for betting.

I think it was a mistake for the league to finish at Southwell. With the best will in the world it is not a glamorous track and is never going to have a large crowd. It must have been better to have ended at Newcastle instead – a higher profile track with a potentially larger audience.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Perhaps he hopes his involvement will lure Irish connections to join. Or maybe he’s just getting paid shedloads. Who knows? Agree about Southwell. If it really is a flagship flat racing promotion, it should really start and finish at Newmarket. I think we all know why that won’t happen.

As an aside, I wonder why Brighton isn’t involved. Seems ideal. Mainly poor quality racing, big catchment area, picturesque location.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Republicans can sneer as much as they like but I do believe the royal involvement in racing is an asset to the sport.”

I’m not sneering, I’m also aware millions don’t share my views, so yes, continuing Royal involvement is good for racing.

Coverage of it doesn’t have to be so excruciatingly deferential, though.

Dunfermline also won the Oaks in 1977 and I can’t remember much fuss being made – it was dignified and understated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

I wonder why a course in Ireland isn’t involved.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Showing the Leger from 46 years ago isn’t of much relevance. Life moves on and things change, the world is a different place with regard to nearly everything whereby the slightest bit of no relevance can become viral for no reason.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Love the clips of historic races myself. That the genes of many of these great horses are carried by our current heroes keeps them relevant

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

The Racing League fixtures are all on Arena Racing tracks, so that rules out Ireland. Also, the rights to show Irish racing are held by RTV rather than SSR.

Brighton is an Arena track, so it could be involved. Perhaps there are issues with maximum field sizes? There is also the issue that the maximum distance at Brighton is 1m 4f, which would rule out any long distance handicaps (but I suppose that issue applies at Windsor as well).

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I’m glad you also enjoy these clips, Tonge.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

I personally find sporting history fascinating for some reason. Aside from racing, cricket and boxing are good to read about and/or watch too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Not that I don’t find them fascinating it just had no relevance to the Kings presence at Doncaster today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

I think you’ll find that “Royal connections” are pretty flimsy at the best of times RTB!

Lengthy piece on ITV national news just now about the King, the Leger, Dettori and AOB though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1,888 through 1,904 (of 2,296 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.