The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Champion Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Champion Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1688

Out of curiosity, how many Aidan O’Brien runners have run in this race as miler/middle-distance horses compared to middle-distance/stayers?

I’m naturally inclined to back Casual Conquest at the distance over FaG. Wouldn’t be shocked if FaG gets shown up as has the rest of the Derby form.

Watched the Nashwan video. I guess the old saying: "You can only beat what’s put in front of you" applies with him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All 3 year olds mate and that is the point of the whole thing…I think the main 4 horses behind StS are all very good animals but I thought Sariska was different class to DRM and look what happened,,ok MH yard might be out of form but until you take on the best 4yo you don’t have a clue.

There was no substance to Sariska’s form. Everyone was banging on about Midday franking it in the Nassau, but none of her older rivals ran their races that day and 7.8 was massive about DRM before the race at York and I tucked in.

I couldn’t have Conduit at all for the Arc. I hope I can get him against Youmzain in a match bet.

What? and there’s a lot of substance to Fame and Glory’s win over Golden Sword?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Euro.
    If Youmzain finishes in front of Conduit in the Arc, I’ll swim back from France with both of them on my back – and that isn’t after-timed.

Dont forget your armbands!

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

STS & Mastercraftsman declared.

• Total Posts 403

All 3 year olds mate and that is the point of the whole thing…I think the main 4 horses behind StS are all very good animals but I thought Sariska was different class to DRM and look what happened,,ok MH yard might be out of form but until you take on the best 4yo you don’t have a clue.

There was no substance to Sariska’s form. Everyone was banging on about Midday franking it in the Nassau, but none of her older rivals ran their races that day and 7.8 was massive about DRM before the race at York and I tucked in.

I couldn’t have Conduit at all for the Arc. I hope I can get him against Youmzain in a match bet.

What? and there’s a lot of substance to Fame and Glory’s win over Golden Sword?

There is plenty of substance to his form given that he was runner-up to a superstar in the Derby despite the race being run to suit his stablemate more than he.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You could say that you could also say he beat 2 boats 2 necks split by a miler.

The Derby form is one of the worst in history mate which may or may not mean Fame and Glory is moderate. You should certainly not be trying to use it to state your case unless you want shot down in flames :P

Johnny Murtagh said he felt like a different horse when he rode him work prior to the Irish Derby so hopefully he’s right and the horse can go on to better things but his 2nd in the Derby and his win in Ireland don’t mean didly as the form is full of holes.

Outside of Sea the Stars, Casual Conquest is without a shadow of a doubt
    the best horse he has met to date. Both go well in the expected ground both travel well and both have a turn of foot……I think the race will be down to which has the best fighting qualities and that could be Casual Conquest….I expect it to be a lot closer than most but as I won’t be betting i it it would be great to see Fame and Glory win like he did in Ireland….if he does, just wait and see……Stars next race will be straight to the sheds.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I have a close friend who wil argue all day long that black is white, just for the sake of it, but hey, that’s another story.

If the ground is right, then Sea The Stars will win. Only possible danger -as I see it – is Fame and Glory.

Casual Conquest is simply not in the same class as the two market leaders. In fact, I’d go as far to say that he’s a bit of an old monkey.

If John Oxx is perfectly happy with the ground and Sea The Stars is 100%, all that is left is for Mick Kinane to get the tactics spot on and it’s plain sailing from there on.

There you go, problem solved – and no charge included. :)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1511

Casual Conquest is not a Irish Champion Stakes winner.

Last year Derby was rubbish….he couldnt win a Irish Derby….he lost to a Mare on course and distance few starts back. Beating Curtain Call by 1l on bottomless ground.

He do lucky do see the Fame+Glory behind….nevermind STS.

Lets hope the EPIC REMATCH Happens

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I don’t think there is any chance of See the Stars running.

Fame and Glory would beat him anyway this time.

I don’t want to see Mastercraftsman running as I would keep him for the QE2 just in case Rip van Winkle does not make it.

I think See the Stars will run next in the Champion stakes at Newmarket.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2041

I was in Dublin this morning and it was spitting rain; conditions unlikley to dry out, so I reckon STS won’t be there

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Ballydoyle are going to completely screw us over here, I can feel it now. Mastercraftsman’s going to run and Fame And Glory’s going to the Niel. It just makes no sense to have withdrawn MCM and Set Sail from the Moulin if they were worried about getting penalised by the French stewards unless they had the intention of running him somewhere else. They’ve done all this rubbish to bolster Fame And Glory’s reputation.

BeeforsalmonJNCC
    • Total Posts 10

fame aint done anything wrong in my eyes and this has to be sts biggest test in his career.

the plan is sts and fameandglory having a ding dong and ive seen a load of times at leapardstown horses along the rail coming back up in the last 150

• Total Posts 1511

Just after walking home from the pub around 12 and its a very still calm drying night.

I can see Sea The Stars running for sure if the weather stays like this….bit of sun wouldnt go amiss mind you over the next few days :shock:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Casual Conquest is not a Irish Champion Stakes winner.

Last year Derby was rubbish….he couldnt win a Irish Derby….he lost to a Mare on course and distance few starts back. Beating Curtain Call by 1l on bottomless ground.

He do lucky do see the Fame+Glory behind….nevermind STS.

Lets hope the EPIC REMATCH Happens

Derrinstown (group 2)

You may well be correct as Fame and Glory looked the part in the Irish Derby but basing your argument saying lasy years Derby was rubbish is bordering on insanity when you consider this years Derby is considered one of the worst in history.

There isn’t much between the profiles of both horses and if you consider what Fame and Flory has actually beat the form is crap.

Golden Sword Mourayan McIver havent won a single race between them since they finished 2nd to the horse….on paper his form stinks to the high heavens.

You would think by the betting he had done something out of the ordinary but really to date he and Casual Conquest are very similar in achievements

Casual Conquest

Epsom Derby 3rd
    Irish Derby 2nd
    Tattersalls Gold Cup (group 1)
    Royal Whip Stakes (group 2)

Fame and Glory

Ballysax Stakes (group 3)
    Derrinstown (group 2)
    Epsom Derby 2nd
    Irish Derby 1st (group 1)

If we get a downpour tonight and the ground comes up soft, the way the two horses are ridden could be crucial. Casual Conquest will be quite happy to sit behind the pacemaker and take it up as no doubt Fame and Glory will want to come late and there lies the problem………Casual Conquest as we saw in the Tattersalls Gold Cup is one helluva hard horse to pass and if you think he’ll just lie down then your sadly mistaken. Fame and Glory will have to be everything he is cracked up to be and right now he may look the part but on bare form he’s beat sweet fanny adams.

I think it was Carv who said they should have run him in the St Leger and he’s probably right especially if the ground dries and Sea the Stars hasn’t gone over the top or something untoward happens

No matter what they say he was spot on for the Derby, he’d won over 1m2f so saying the slow pace didn’t suit him then entering him in another 1m2f race simply doesn’t make sense.

AOB is deperate to beat Sea the Stars and hoping the champ runs below par…….2 down 1 to go. and that’s the only reason he’s here….for me Fame and Glory is a 1m4f plus horse….he knows and so does Oxx

Him tryoing to beat a 100% fit Sea the Stars over this trip would be like peeing aganst the wind IMO unless he has improved 10lbs If not he may just find Casual Conquest has a bit too much toe for him on soft ground if that turns out tyo be the case.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

FIST,

I agree with you that Casual Conquest has been underestimated by alot of people. He wasn’t 100% fit 2 starts ago, and probably not last time out either.

However, I think you are wrong in your assessment of this horse. You mention the "toe" he has. I think that’s his weakness, he doesn’t have a turn of foot.

What this horse does have however is a high cruising speed. The Ballydoyle pacemakers are sure to go a furious gallop which will not only suit Fame And Glory, but Casual Conquest too. That’s what this horse needs in my opinion. He is overpriced at 14/1 imo.

Hope Sea The Stars runs, but I have a bad feeling in my gut that he will get beaten. Hopefully it’s just a feeling.

• Total Posts 1511

Its odds on that STS will run now……if there isnt any rain for the next 30 hours the ground will not be a problem.

On Casual Conquest i just dont like the animal…..he shows signs of being a Group 1 animal and then takes a step backwards.

• Total Posts 1537

I wonder if MCM will run if STS runs, as they pulled him out of the Moulin last night apparently.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.