The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish 2000 Guineas

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish 2000 Guineas

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I’m shocked to see that (generally) New Approach is 11/8 and Henrythenavigator is 2/1. I thought that Henrythenavigator would be evens and New Approach would be 5/2 (note: I never compile my own tissues; this was just a vague ‘feeling’).

I can’t see any reason why New Approach will reverse the form; if ever New Approach was going to beat Henrythenavigator (on ground which isn’t soft) it would have been in The English 2000 Guineas when he had the run of the race and Henrythenavigator was kept so far back.

The ground is likely to be good-firm at the Curragh. Can anyone tell me the thinking behind these prices?

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

Think most people believe New Approach was a bit below his Dewhurst form in the Guineas. Add to that the fact New Approach is the bigger horse, with scope for more improvement. I would make New Approach favourite but not by as much as the bookies have him. Have not looked at the race in detail yet, but would think if I had a bet, it won’t be the front two. The two together do not have a 75% chance in my opinion.

Mark (Ginge)

Value Is Everything
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Apparently Jim Bolger is considering running a pacemaker for New Approach which, whilst I’m no expert, seems completely pointless. The horse is clearly happy with the lead, and if Manning can set a decent enough pace (something he didn’t do at Newmarket, costing him the race in my opinion) nothing should touch him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

Bolger may be playing mind games with Coolmoore.

True, New Approach is well suited by making his own running. But Coolmoore know this and may put in a spoiler to take him on. If Bolger puts his own in there it may persuade Coolmore not to put one in, or might be able to protect New Approach from Coolmoore’s pacemaker.

Mark (Ginge)

Value Is Everything
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Bolger is now saying that his second entrant, Luminaire, is there on merit and not as a pacemaker.

This will be Luminaire’s debut.

The man has lost the plot.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Watched the 2,000 Guineas again today. New Approach would’ve got back up again in another stride. Maybe he just got a little bored in front and Bolger has an idea to negate that happening again.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Completely agree with NWRA. I don’t see any reason why Henry can’t repeat the dose on ground which if anything looks likely to suit him more. Boyles’s 9/4 looks worth taking.

• Total Posts 1688

The Dewhurst form is further sinking into shoddy-ness. I don’t think New Approach was below Dewhurst form in the 2,000 Guineas – I think he was smack bang on target.

Henrythenavigator was on extremely negative ground in those final two Group 1 Irish outings. Other than that, I personally think the 2YO colts of last season were lacking (not including those who were better off racing at 3 over more staying distances).

Henry has New Approach covered.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Not surprised that New Approach has been made favourite. I was adamant after the 2,000 Guineas that New Approach would reverse placings with Henrythenavigator.

Just hope I’m right ( it’s the thought of losing more money on the Bolger colt, you see :wink: )

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

NA ws surely trained for the minute for Newmarket (even though its was an english classic :? )

Unless we are being subjected to Coolmore spin, Henry was short of peak fitness

Is there anymore that we need to know?

batman
    • Total Posts 489

was in the Bookies for the English 2000 some girl about 22-23 walked in if you seen this bookies you would notice this believe me, anyway she does a bet for the race she was with a mate and a little kid so as usual some dude gets talking to her trying to score points with his mates, anyway i digress, he asks her who she backed, she said Stubbs Art everyone looked at screen saw 100/1 and laughed to themself (of course not to this pretty little thing’s face) race starts everyone had either one of the first 2, and no one noticed her leaving then someone said who was 3rd?

does anyone reckon he has a chance after been suplimented at €40000 and 4 lengths to make up?

Hawk Wing
    • Total Posts 141

A mile is too sharp for NA, Henry will beat him again

NeroWolfe
    • Total Posts 12

I agree – I can’t see why Henry won’t beat New Approach again.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

9/4 with Boylesports for Henry

I think thats a cracking price

batman
    • Total Posts 489

I agree – I can’t see why Henry won’t beat New Approach again.

would you not take in to account that New Approach will come on for the run i know likewise can be said for HN but i still think NA can take it….

Hawk Wing
    • Total Posts 141

As far as I am concerned Bolger is making a right bollix of New Approaches campaign this year, fair enough running in the English Guineas as a prep for a derby crack, but going for the Irish 2000 guineas when he is crying out for 10-12f does not make sense, if anything I think Henry will come on from Newmarket. This is like Finsceal Beo all over again

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

"This is like Finsceal Beo all over again"…. except that Finsceal Beo won the Irish Guineas, whereas you are suggesting that New Approach won’t?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.