The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I'm mystified…….

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks I'm mystified…….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

as to why Trouble at Bay and Buena Vista are both rated 140+

Don’t get me wrong, both are potentially useful in this sphere, and put in nice performances on their Chasing debuts, but beating ODC, Ursis etc and Tora Bora, Borrora etc, surely don’t warrant these marks

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I thought you had made a mistake ew. Agree the RPR’s for both look excessive. What makes it even stranger is that according to RPR’s, both are already better over fences than hurdles.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from davidjohnson on 8:02 pm on Jan. 10, 2007[br]I thought you had made a mistake ew. Agree the RPR’s for both look excessive. What makes it even stranger is that according to RPR’s, both are already better over fences than hurdles.

<br>I’m stumped DJ tbh, ratings are saying these two have put in G2 Novice Chase performances like Turko, Fair Along, Boychuck etc, which they clearly have not

(Edited by empty wallet at 8:13 pm on Jan. 10, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

I must be missing summat

free Timeform card

01/12/06  EXETER  (Chase) <br>19 furlongs, 110 yards. Soft 1 of 6 13/8  tfig     rat  140+ A. P. McCoy

<br>23/12/06  HEREFORD  (Chase) <br>16 furlongs. Gd/Sft 1 of 7 3/1  tfig     rat  145   J. A. McCarthy

:o :o

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

empty

Are the timeform ratings you have weight adjusted for the horses entries? The reason I ask is because Buena Vista is rated 133p and Trouble At Bay is 132p,

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Dunno tbh DJ, i just lifted those off website and presumed those were the ratings awarded for each race

Like i say, i’m missing summat<br>Timeform racecard:

<br>RACE 3 HEREFORD  11/01/07 TRW – – – – –

——————————————————————————–<br> <br>2.00 THE HEREFORD TRUCK SHOW NOVICES’ CHASE (3)  2m <br> <br>  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£9,800  5yo+     <br>

——————————————————————————–<br> <br>1 BUENA VISTA (IRE)   6 b.g   11-12   D. E. PIPE    A. P. McCoy        142 p  <br>  <br>2 TROUBLE AT BAY (IRE)   7 b.g   11-08   A. KING    Robert Thornton        145 p  <br>    <br>3 CHIEF YEOMAN   7 b.g   11-02   MISS VENETIA WILLIAMS    Sam Thomas          

4 GENGHIS (IRE)   8 br.g   11-02   P. BOWEN    T. J. O’Brien        121  <br>  <br>5 KILLING ME SOFTLY   6 b.g   11-02   J. GALLAGHER    Tom Scudamore    (b)    ?

————————————————————————–

BV 140 rating (i presume) has been adjusted to 12 stone =  142,  so TaB 145 should be 151 and Genghis 121should be 133

Your more realistic ratings,  BV should be 135, TaB 138, if adjusting to 12 stone

empty = mystified by  by high race ratings and TF race card ratings

—————————————————–

RPR adjusted to 12 stone are correct – BV 142 (ajd 144) Tab 146 (ajd 152,) Genghis 112 (ajd 124) Killing me softly 38 (ajd 50)

empty = mystified by the high race ratings of Buena Vista and Trouble at Bay

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 3:06 am on Jan. 11, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Tf jump ratings are adjusted to 12st7lb. Their flat ratings adjusted to 10st.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from davidjohnson on 8:57 am on Jan. 11, 2007[br]Tf jump ratings are adjusted to 12st7lb. Their flat ratings adjusted to 10st.

<br>:cool:  no longer mystified by TF ratings, any explanation why that is so anywhere DJ?

(Edited by empty wallet at 10:17 am on Jan. 11, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Off the top of my head I don’t know EW, other than at the time Timeform began producing Black Book jumps ratings in the 60’s, the majority of the big handicaps I think had a top-weight of 12-7, (see Arkle etc).

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,<br>I haven’t got race stats. on hand at present, so please correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Trouble at Bay attain his lofty perch for the beating of OPERA DE COUER  ?? [Timeform Rating at start of season: 126p]

Although ODC was selected by Timeform 50 to Follow, another dismal display yesterday demonstrates Trouble’s inaccurate rating.

regards,

doyley

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

doyley

What do you have Trouble At Bay rated?

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

I think you’ve got to treat that race and the rating with caution due to the subsequent running of ODC tbh

Not sure how TF work, but  if more evidence was forthcoming, like Genghis running poorly again then maybe the rating may be reviewed

<br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Ofcourse the publsihed rating for Trouble At Bay was produced before Opera de la Cour ran yesterday.  However, I didn’t think you were a fan of yardstick handicapped ew, that being the case, why would Opera de la cours run yesterday worry you too much.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

DJ

subsequent runs tell you how strong or weak a race is ( which i’m sure you know) and one horse running poorly from a race means nothing tbh, but i’m applying caution to it, as i would to any race where a  horse does not seem to have gone on, thats all

As more evidence comes to light of horses running well or poorly from a race, i think you need to go back and review your ratings, and if need be, raising em slightly or lowering em

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:08 pm on Jan. 11, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

As i stated earlier with the ratings you posted

"a more realistic rating"

Subsequent form may say that was right, a bit low or to high – hindsight is a wonderful thing,  TF don’t have that luxury, but i have in most cases

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:16 pm on Jan. 11, 2007)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.