The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Glorious Goodwood

Home Forums Horse Racing Glorious Goodwood

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>Plenty of flak on here last week about the coverage of Ascot provided by ATR and the BBC. Imo, it was like having to choose between Big Brother and Celebrity Love Island.

At the next big garden party, we get to see the opposition as Ch4 takes on RUK for coverage of Goodwood.

The Duke of Richmond, in a press release, says "We are very confident about the ability of C4 to integrate Goodwood into its marvellous portfolio of racecourses with style, sensitivity and drama".

On that evidence it seems safe to assume he’s never actually watched any C4 coverage!

Goodwood are also congratulating themselves on persuading C4 to abandon their usual practice of insisting on a first race time of 1:30 or 1:45, as happens at Newmarket and York for their big meetings. But a price does seem to have been paid for this concession, though it’s one I struggle to understand.

On Wednesday, the first race is scheduled for 2:15 (info from the Weatherbys website program listings) and the first race will be the £300,000 Group 1 Sussex Stakes. On Saturday the first race is at 2:05 and it’s the Stewards Cup.

Now I can’t believe that Goodwood have unilaterally decided to run the big race as the first on the card on those two days – there’s no change to the usual running order on the other three days – so presumably it’s being done at the behest of TV. But why?

C4 are on air for four races each day and according to their website, coverage will run from 14:00 to 16:30 for the four midweek days. So where’s the benefit for them in running the Sussex Stakes as the first race?

The only possible answer I can come up with is that the Wednesday is also the date of the Galway Plate – if C4 are covering that as well, perhaps they don’t want to risk any overlap? But it seems to me that the decision is bound to result in a loss of betting revenue for both races, as well as giving the whole day at Goodwood a lopsided look.

Any other theories on this odd decision?

AP<br>

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Yes, C4 having got a ******* clue :biggrin:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I am going to Goodwood that day and am very cross now :angry:

Seriously though, the anticpation of the biggest race should build up. A nice little maiden ( :o ) is a good way to ease your self into the days racing

Putting the highlight of th week on first is awful

Suprised at Goodwood here. They have always struck me as being one of the more clued up courses

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

I would be amazed if either of those races was the first race of the day :o

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

A disgraceful decision. :o <br>More worrying is the thought it might start a trend with other courses following suit. Unlikely but…….

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

where on the weatherbys site did you see this? ive seen nothing on there about it.

if it is the case its a disgrace and it whats more it just makes no sense as its not a decision which would benefit channel four either.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>Yeats,

I share your amazement, but I can’t think of any reason for the running order on the website to be altered for those two days and not the others, unless that is actually the intended program.

AP

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i went to GG once, on a whim to watch Cesare but it was the least enjoyable day at a track i have had – far too busy, massive queues for bets, bogs, food, drink, everything – like paying to be a sardine in a tin full of p**sed up party-ers – not my scene

you could offer to drive me there this year, give me 500 quid cash and a free hooker and i’d probably turn you down

i’ll go to lingfield instead, i think

(Edited by sberry at 3:51 pm on June 26, 2007)<br>

(Edited by sberry at 3:51 pm on June 26, 2007)

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Sorry….what was that……..free hooker!!!!!!<br>Where? How? Who?<br>Now that’s a race package…..keep your €3 racecard… I’m having my sock cooked instead. :biggrin:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ve had a look one Weatherbys site and AP is correct at the moment.  However for those days the races are just in prizemoney order and I believe this had been recent practice on some days – when the times have not yet been worked out.

I’m sure that Ch 4 will have an input but I’m also pretty sure they won’t be the first race on the card.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

Notwithstanding the racing authorities’ uncanny ability to balls things up I find it hard to believe this is true; more likely a glitch at Weatherby’s, or as Adrian reports, a misleading listing of the races by prizemoney.

Is the Stewards’ worth more than the Nassau?

Seeking clarification from Weatherby’s and/or Goodwood would seem the best move.<br>

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>On Saturday, the Nassau, listed as second race after the Stewards Cup is worth twice as much – £200,000 to £100,000.

If this is a C4 inspired move, and my guess about the Galways coverage is correct, then presumably the Saturday change is for the same reason – to ensure a smooth build up to the big race with no chance of a clash with whatever other meeting they are covering.

AP

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

I would go down Adrian’s line of thinking in that they haven’t decided the order yet and will do so nearer the day after consultation with C4 but wouldn’t think even C4 would want the Sussex first race of the day.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I was there that day too track..and it was a lovely days racing

a few years ago it seemed more crowded though

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Quote: from apracing on 5:06 pm on June 26, 2007[br]<br>On Saturday, the Nassau, listed as second race after the Stewards Cup is worth twice as much – £200,000 to £100,000.

If this is a C4 inspired move, and my guess about the Galways coverage is correct, then presumably the Saturday change is for the same reason – to ensure a smooth build up to the big race with no chance of a clash with whatever other meeting they are covering.

AP<br>

<br>Channel 4 don’t do build ups these days not what I call build ups anyway. They cram as many races in as they can and when there’s not a race there’s an ad break. Its quantity over quality.

I’m not a fan of big races being first on the card either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.