The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ebor 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ebor 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2055

Just a few early thoughts to keep me busy, any views most welcomed.
    Firstly Unibet and Skybet (to a certain degree) are the only books up at present. Goshen is put in at 14s fav, but he would need a massive hike in the weights (presently 88) to get in, 105 was last views cut off point, so i cannot see how/where he can make up the ‘poundage’ in the current climate, plus you would be probably hoping for juice in the ground.
    I will try and keep in short and not ramble on, have come up with this shortlist

1. I know I know he is a rogue but at 33s would have to chuck the 8-year-old BARSANTI into the mix just for his York form alone.
    2. RAYMOND TUSK ran a blinder in this last year and although ran poorly on the all-weather latest, which could probably be put down to a long season is worth a look at 33s
    3. Lastly at a shorter price am willing to give BEN VRACKIE one last chance now gelded at 16s, ran ok in last
    years renewal whilst running way to keenly throughout actually did well to run 7th.

Yet to have a bet will wait till others price up, but those are my early thoughts, any others views comments much appreciated. Stay safe everyone

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17609

Be great if it was on N.

The 16’s for Goshen is very tempting with Hills. He’ll surely get an entry, and you’d at least get your money back once he’s inevitably balloted out, as is agree, don’t see how he can climb high enough to qualify.

My long term fancy is Protected Guest. Really like this horse, and though I prefer the yards runners at Ascot or Goodwood, options are limited there, and this could be ideal. No bet yet, but could be tempted at the price.

No point through I suppose, in the current climate, but my certainly my main fancy just now……

Protected Guest 50’s

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2055

Hope you are well VTC, I am not a big ante post player but you are totally right about no point getting involved at present.We don’t know where when racing starts up again. Maybe we could run the derby at Catterick.
    Stay safe mate

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

I would be keen on the chances of Mekong 33/1 if he ran nick :good: Only 10th in the race last year but fit from his races in Dubai where he was unlucky to come up against half brother Call The Wind..but after a slow start he was eating up ground at the finish and very impressive. :good:
    Like you not an AP player and really hope that this might happen. :bye: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2055

Mekong ran really well for you in Dubai Jac, long Knavesmire straight should help as well,will Spencer be on him or Raymond Tusk? :unsure:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

Would hope Jamie Spencer would stay with Mekong and possibly Tom Marquand be up on Raymond Tusk nick. :good: Would like to see him ride a bit closer to the pace this time though, gave the horse too much to do last time. Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    • Total Posts 17609

I don’t think my early fancy, Protected Guest, will get in here, and not even the 100’s could tempt me yet.

Still no bet in this yet, but my old pal Euchen Glen is big at 40’s, and I’m tempted ahead of Haydock on Sunday. In that Haydock race, I think that The Trader is an interesting runner, and might just have some progression in him, but not quoted yet.

One horse I’m looking forward to this season is Omnivega, and he’s in at 25’s, but like Goshen, would have his work cut out to get in here.

Others on the shortlist……

Caravan of Hope 20’s
    Rock Eagle 33’s
    The Trader N/Q
    Universal Order 50’s

Main early hope though is Euchen Glen.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4467

My long range fancy for this is HAMISH trained by William Haggas. This one was winner of the Melrose at York last year, which qualified him for the Ebor, and then followed up in facile fashion over the same course and distance in October. He caught my eye as a strong robust individual, but one who would still benefit from another winter behind him. A staying on fourth in the Hardwicke Stakes provided the impression I wanted to see first time up this season. Key point is that he’s no an upward curve where a few of the established stayers are already at their level.

• Total Posts 17609

Thought that was a nice enough run from Euchen Glen today, and though it’s still a fair way off, happy to have my first bet at 40’s.

Euchen Glen 40’s

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3673

Had a little EW on Euchen Glen @ 50/1 :wacko:

• Total Posts 17609

I didn’t take that 50’s on Universal Order, and it’s gone now, probably in anticipation of a big run at the weekend in The John Smiths Silver Cup.

The more I look at him the more I like, but having topped up 50’s on Euchen Glen, can’t really have two going for me at this stage.

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 555

I like Universal Order as well VtC, and I wouldn’t be put off by his defeat at the weekend. I will definitely bet him if he runs. 33-1 is a nice price right now though.

Rob, I am going to join you with Hamish. He was very good here last Autumn, and he would me my main fancy here as well.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1851

Universal Order doesn’t stay 1m 6f well enough for a race like this imo. I backed him at the weekend and that was my conclusion immediately afterwards.

• Total Posts 17609

I’m cooling a wee bit on Universal Order myself after that.

Not completely written him off, but certainly won’t be diving in either.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5869

Thought GHOSTWATCH ran eye catching run last time out took 25/1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.