The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Doncaster behind closed doors again

Home Forums Horse Racing Doncaster behind closed doors again

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1576

If you’re reffering to the Abbfest from September 18th – 20th, then you might want to read this:

https://www.abbfest.org/

The next Food Fair will take place in September 2021.

If you also consider the almost 42,000 corona deaths in the UK so far, you must admit that a cautious approach is still acceptable. The virus remains as effective as it was back in March when the pandemy started. So, if you don’t want to trust the scientists, who else are you going to trust?

I’m not saying government=scientists, but I couldn’t understand why government would want businesses to go broke or people to stay at home all the time instead of going out and spending their cash. I agree that some measures are extremely exagerated, including the return of just a few thousand people to a racecourse every day, but if people would be more considerate when having social contacts the faster we could eradicate the virus and the faster we could move back to normal business.

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1134

Dunning-Kruger

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1576

Dunning-Kruger

Tom Marquand is a better jockey than Frankie Dettori.

Proof: He is 2 for 2 when riding the horse. Yet, he was jocked off for Magnificent Frankie who has failed to make the frame on him in three rides.

Was that a good example, befair? Me, as a horse racing expert, knowing it better than the trainer himself.

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1134

When Aidan O’Brien is preparing his next Derby runner, I’m sure he’ll consult an epidemiologist

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1576

epidemiologist=must be at least one of the lads????

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 539

The Chief Executive of Chester racecourse was quoted in the Guardian on Monday saying that the track will have to be mothballed next year if crowds are still not allowed. They simply could not afford to race. Yet he said the bars and restaurants on the course are open on non race days but have to close when there is racing. Crazy! :wacko:

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17761

Yup Cork, completely nuts.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2283

I do agree with befair regarding the virus. As it is showing the more we come out of lockdown the higher the number of cases there are. The scientists (or most of them) are getting very concerned with this.

What I do not agree with is, as other posters have opinioned, the inconsistencies in what you can and can’t do e.g. the Car boot sales at a racecourse but no crowd allowed at the Racing. Either allow both or bar both. Crowds at some sports but not at others? How come you could go to the World Snooker final indoors but not Racecourses, football or cricket which are outdoors?

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1134

I’d agree the Tory govt response has been utterly inconsistent and incompetent

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4611

No great loss . . . . . Chester is just a glorified pub / nightclub full of pissed up Scousers, the overwhelming majority of whom couldn’t give a toss about the racing …… I’ve always maintained they could race three legged donkeys there and most of the attendees would be none the wiser.

It’s also the most expensive racecourse in the country and with the ridiculous draw bias it’s a total abomination of a racecourse.

I used to hate going there and I certainly would shed no tears if it went bust and closed down.

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4611

If you also consider the almost 42,000 corona deaths in the UK so far, you must admit that a cautious approach is still acceptable.

Is 42,000 deaths really a big deal?

70,000 people a year die from dementia in the UK annually, 165,000 die from cancer and 42,000 under 75’s die of heart disease every year ….. so putting it in perspective it could be argued 42,000 Covid deaths is no big deal and certainly not worth trashing the economy for

Between 12,000 and 28,000 die of ‘flu each year depending on how bad the season is so Covid is only twice as bad as a bad ‘flu year.

Also pandemics have been a recurrent theme throughout history, the Antonine Plague between 165-180 AD killed an estimated 5 million and many say it led to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Bubonic Plague killed 200 million and closer to us time wise Spanish ‘Flu killed 40-50 million.

Therefore it could be argued there has been a gross over reaction worldwide to the pandemic, with modern travel viruses are going to travel the world more easily, that’s the price of “progress”

Is destroying the economy the right price to pay?

What number of deaths would be deemed acceptable – it’s a very debatable point, I would consider 42,000 relatively low. Personally I wouldn’t even fret if the UK death toll reached 250,000.

At the end of the day every one of us is going to die – does it really matter if it happens today, tomorrow or many years or decades in the future?

People get too hung up by their own mortality.

Fine, try and find a vaccine, find treatments but don’t cause more problems by bringing in restrictions, many of which have no proven benefit.

Let people make informed choices.

At the beginning of the outbreak I took an informed choice to continue working, even though I was advised to shield – I knew I was at risk and, as a result of working, I did catch the virus.

I was advised that clinically I should have been admitted to hospital. I made the informed choice not to be admitted – yes I could have died, that didn’t worry me but I didn’t die – which I’m sure will piss some people off.

Some will raise the question, what about the vulnerable and it’s a fair point – Granny is more at risk but again it’s an informed choice to be made by the family.

What is the risk of catching Covid against catching something else or having a serious fall or being involved in an accident.

Life is full of risks it’s just this one has seemingly been blown out of all proportion fanned by mass hysteria, not helped by the media.

I don’t envy any Government dealing with this mess and there is no certainty Labour would have done any better – it’s times like this party politics should be put aside.

Nearly forgot to add the number of deaths from other causes will rise because of the concentration on Covid and these will, in all probability, exceed 42,000

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 539

Completely agree with your second post.

As for Chester, I would not go there on a race day now. One of my work colleagues has worked there as a steward. He says it is the worst stewarding job he has ever been asked to do. Lots of the crowd are hammered before they have even set foot in the racecourse.

Having said that, I would be sorry to lose Chester. The draw bias means you can rule out lots of runners, especially in the sprints. And it is the oldest track still racing on the same site, so it would be a great loss from a historical point of view. The sight of the horses swinging around the home turn with the Roman wall in the background is really impressive.

And what would Marwan Koukash do without Chester?!

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 336

paulostermeyer for Prime Minister :good:

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17761

Good second post Paul, agree with every word

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22801

Good post Paul… :good:
    I think the cautious approach is because it is a new thing (new virus) whereas those other deaths have been around the block
    plus its not considered pc in this day and age to just “get on with it” snowflakes would have a field day

Member since March 2008
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.