The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Doncaster behind closed doors again

Home Forums Horse Racing Doncaster behind closed doors again

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

Another thumbs-up here Paul

This article in The Lancet – which will therefore presumably be approved by Dr Befair – is worth a read, as it discusses the reasons for the ‘hysteria’ around Covid-19 compared to the public stoicism and governmental inaction in response to the last two major flu pandemics in 1957 and 1968

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31201-0/fulltext

A recent issue of National Geographic magazine had an excellent article on pandemics through history

And by some way the best and most balanced analysis I’ve come across concerning the UK’s response to covid has been by Private Eye’s resident medic ‘MD’, who is Dr Phil Hammond of the ‘Trust me I’m a Doctor’ series on the goggler

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

The Lancet article was interesting Drone.

I can relate to the comments about respect for the medical profession – when I was growing up I was “taught” doctors are God and cannot be questioned – thankfully that attitude has changed.

Many doctors are absolutely brilliant, most are good but some are downright dangerous – in truth probably the same as in any profession.

There are certainly a handful of doctors at hospitals local to me I would refuse to have anywhere near me, indeed there are a few paramedics I would send away if they turned up when I needed one.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1134

This is classic unscientific thinking; selectively choose those articles which support your prejudice.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

This is classic unscientific thinking; selectively choose those articles which support your prejudice

Where did I state that I agreed with it? Just another article with just another opinion on what is a highly complex issue; but one I found more interesting than a myriad others. As the article points out, in the event of no vaccine becoming available in the foreseeable future it is unlikely any firm conclusions about the progress of this pandemic will be able to be made until it’s run its course

Until then I’ll keep an open mind about it and the efficacy of methods to combat it; and while the opinions of the scientific and medical communities will be taken with a much smaller pinch of salt than those of Joe Public, the latter’s will not be dismissed. Dismissal would be akin to jockeys bemoaning ‘jockeys in the stands’ criticising a poor ride because ‘what do they know, they’ve never ridden a horse’

Incidentally, a scientist you may be but obviously not a grammarian

Your two clauses quoted above should be punctuated by a colon, not a semi-colon. A reliable way to determine which of these two troublesome punctuation marks should be used is if the two clauses can be conjoined by the adverb ‘namely’ or the phrase ‘that is’ then a colon should be used

Trust me, I’m a clever dick

I’m sure Tank would agree :-)

Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1383

I am only speaking for myself but I think this thread is getting a bit ****.

There are plenty of places for discussions on epidemiology, public policy and moral philosophy as well as exercises in grandstanding, willy waving and faecal flinging. But this forum is for the discussion of horse racing and beyond “Doncaster’s meeting most probably had nothing to do with the spike in Wales” this thread has gone off-topic.

If the thread is not kept to the pandemic insofar as how it pertains to the sport, perhaps it might be better located elsewhere?

patriot1patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I totally agree.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

Aye, stick it in the Lounge and rename the topic ‘Ever decreasing circles between a rock and a hard place’ or perhaps ‘Ever-decreasing circles between a rock and a hard place’

What a fun wankfest this is :yes:

Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1383

Surely ‘Ever-decreasing circle-jerks between a rock and a hard place’?

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 329

Yes, I do agree that our friend Drone is a clever dick; even I can learn things from him!

B-)

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17713

BH, I definitely agree that the way this thread is going, it’s definitely veering towards “Lounge” territory, however as it started with a very definite focus on the racing side of things, I think it should stay, for now anyway.

As you know, I’m not averse to moving threads, and the “f’ck it, I’ll just post the thread in Horse Racing” mentality, when the subject has nothing to do specifically with Horse Racing, drives me mad. As does the continual betting threads getting put in “Horse Racing”, when there’s three separate sub forums for betting, but that’s a separate rant……one rant at a time.

It was my shout to move The Lounge further up, in fact I wanted it at the top, as it would possibly make people think twice before dumping every thread in Horse Racing, when it didn’t belong there, so I won’t be shy in moving this one there when the time comes.

What I would say is that we really don’t need another thread on the matter, there’s been numerous, and this thread was unnecessary, the news about Doncaster should just have been added to the existing Cheltenham thread, as it was just a continuation of that debate.

Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on it (and any others), and move them if appropriate.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10628

Perhaps The Lounge needs a new image Bobby to catch the eye of random posters..maybe rename it The Tack Room or Social Stable (used by ITV racing) or something like that where all sorts could be discussed and the odd bet could be thrown in by those not wanting to start a Thread.

Definition of a tack room…
    A room in or near a stable for storing saddles, harnesses and other tack.

Sounds ideal ;-)

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5839

@Triptych

LOL

“Definition of a tack room…
    A room in or near a stable for storing saddles, harnesses and other tack.

What should we call the participants?

Tackers?

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10628

:good:
    I’ll go with that Matron good one. :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

As in face to face talking, conversations are, thankfully, not linier and they deviate and thank goodness for that otherwise life would be incredibly boring.

Personally, I’m not too fussed where a thread resides, there are more important things in life to get hung up about – if a thread interests me I’ll read it wherever it is, if I lose interest in a thread I’m perfectly capable of ignoring it wherever it resides.

What I wouldn’t do, however, is complain if a thread went off in a direction I did not agree with or think was relevant- what right have I (or does anyone) to tell others what to write or what direction to take a thread.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17713

Yeah Paul, pretty much the reason why the threads staying where it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.