The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

County Hurdle

Home Forums Cheltenham Festival 2021 County Hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Now I’m not one for conspiracy theories, nor am I one to suggest that JP McManus would ever stitch one up for a handicap blot ( :wacko: ) but something interesting occurred the other day.

The day of the week escapes me, but it was Clonmel, a Willie Mullins debutant in the green and gold hoops lining up in the same race Saint Roi debuted in last season. The horse, Capodanno was 1/3 overnight although stank it’s way out to 6/4 and, despite ridden handily, was never really put into the race meaningfully by Patrick Mullins.

Before the bashers begin I’m not suggesting foul play or that the race was thrown, although it appeared that Patrick was far happier in letting him hunt around rather than gain any meaningful position throughout.

Anyway, as Saint Roi did the year before, Capodanno ended up a beaten favourite. He jumped fairly neatly in the main though and is bound to come on a bundle. For the conspiracy theorists amongst you or those wild enough to think JP enjoys a plot then there’s already 33/1 showing for this.

@TomBarkley87

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

You’d think that might be a bit ‘obvious’. Then again, a lot of trainers are creatures of habit so it’s worth keeping an eye on.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Not surprised to see a bit of blue for Verdana Blue tonight, after that ride today.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

There was a lot of talk over here about Capodanno before that run, but I missed the 33/1, but did take 25/1. I think that he was added to the market tells you all you need to know.

I should add that I only bet him because a few of my mates did likewise, and I would take a ribbing if I missed out. It’s obvious that travel plans can’t be made just now, but I would like to be there. I couldn’t stand the the thought of being there and not being able to celebrate with my mates with a double figure poke.

My idea of the winner here is Mt Leinster, and I will bet him if I see him in the market.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

I got the price request to get him added to the market so it probably doesn’t suggest that much lol.

@TomBarkley87

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Look luck with him though Autumnal :good:

@TomBarkley87

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Given my desperate record in this, I’m in no rush for an early bet, but I’m with you Autumnal on Mt Leinster, he’s one of the few I had thought of for this.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Would be interesting to see where they go next with Benson after yesterday’s flying finish. If they decided to pull up stumps to sit on his current mark until March you’d have to consider him a live one over an extra furlong and a stiffer track here.

@TomBarkley87

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

That 25’s on Capodanno looks decent now Autumnal.

Tempted to join you now. 14’s with 5 places NRNB looks a no brainer to me, and though these things never really work out two years in a row, there doesn’t seem to be a downside to betting him at these odds.

Not surprised to see Cadzand near the head of the market after the endorsement from Skelton last week.

Still got few more on the radar though….

Faivoir 50’s
    Gumball
    Keskonrisk
    James Du Berlais 25’s
    Mt Leinster
    Proschema 33’s

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

Bob, I took 25-1 Capodanno myself. I think he looks a cert to run here.

I’ve also bet Christopher Wood 100-1 ew. He’s not been that impressive, but I think that he’s got a good handicap in him.

I agree on Faivoir, very interesting.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Sorry mate, forgot you were on. Gotta be happy with that 25’s now.

Jasolong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 576

Buzz 20/1 – he ran a cracker in welsh champion on seasonal debut which is a race that’s worked out extremely well. Then won in a canter next time out. 2nd subsequently but the ground was very soft that day and although hendo said he handles it his best performances have been on ground slightly quicker and he’s a strong traveller and does it better on quicker ground. Bit faster ground in March should suit him down to the ground

Mister Coffey – 25/1
    Has a similar profile to buzz but probably less exposed. Won handicap debut like a good horse then was 6/4 for a hot handicap next time out but only 3rd but again the ground was much softer that day and it didn’t suit him as a strong travelling type and didn’t travel in the same way that day. Spring ground will help him too

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Very tempting to take the 50’s for Faivoir just now, but definitely got to reign it in just now.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Didn’t take that 50’s before his win at Haydock. and I could see me kicking myself, because I’m keener than ever on him.

I’d still be happy with the current 25’s, but with Betfair Hurdle, and Dublin Racing Festival approaching, I’ll hold fire.

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4164

Leoncavallo 36/1 To win any race

Half an eye on him for this but another who could go for all 3 of those handicaps. Been the subject of a fair few big race gambles in the past and had a fair few change of stables also, but seemed to of improved a fair chunk for a wind op and a switch to the Pipe yard on the flat this summer.Ground went against him at Newmarket but still ran well enough considering.

Said to be having one run before Cheltenham, might well go for that big bonus race that his Dad used to farm back in the day. Can’t remember the name of it now :scratch:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.